Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 08:41:31 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  NEW DIRECTORS CUT
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW DIRECTORS CUT  (Read 227753 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: November 10, 2013, 07:22:31 AM »

CJ, don't be so quick to give thumbs-up; even if this news is true, this may only be an Italian release.... When the news first came down about a restoration, it said the Leone family purchased the Italian rights to the film. I wondered then what that meant for us in America; and when the extended blu-ray was finally released, it was indeed only Region B.... If the Leone family is really gonna release a new and improved extended blu-ray now, I'd hope we get it here in America, too.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: November 10, 2013, 07:26:51 AM »

There are ways of getting a hold of it regardless  Evil

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: November 10, 2013, 08:36:03 AM »

Exactamundo!

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: November 10, 2013, 09:14:45 AM »

If this is true (I have no reason to believe it's not true) it's great news.   Afro

Indeed it is

CJ, don't be so quick to give thumbs-up; even if this news is true, this may only be an Italian release.... When the news first came down about a restoration, it said the Leone family purchased the Italian rights to the film. I wondered then what that meant for us in America; and when the extended blu-ray was finally released, it was indeed only Region B.... If the Leone family is really gonna release a new and improved extended blu-ray now, I'd hope we get it here in America, too.

D&D you really need to stop lamenting about region encoding issues and get yourself set-up multi-region

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: November 10, 2013, 09:27:12 AM »

is there a single blu-ray player I can buy and play all discs in, period, or do I have to change the region code each time I put a new disc in? I'm not all that technologically proficient and I wouldn't wanna do anything that you have to know too much; I'm afraid I'd screw that up. If it's just as simple as paying a few bucks for a region-free player and then playing all discs in it normally, I'd be happy to do that. So, advise away....

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: November 11, 2013, 06:05:24 PM »

On DVD players it is a software issue - hence the vast majority are able to play all discs from all regions at all times

ON BD players it is a hardware issue - hence the player has to be booted up in the region desired.

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: November 19, 2013, 02:59:53 AM »

There are quite a few pitfalls and and complications with region free Blu-ray players and there are many posts on the subject at Blu-ray.com.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29

One supplier of region free Blu-ray players has an interesting comparison guide and warns that TV's from the USA may not support the resolution HDMI input from a foreign disc, in which case a video converter may need to be purchased. They seem to offer advice and an after sales service.

http://www.220-electronics.com/blu-ray-dvd/region-free-blu-ray-player.html

There is a specific thread about them and comments from board members at:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=188381&highlight=region+free+blu-ray+player&page=5

I suppose it depends on how technically minded a person is, their budget, whether they are prepared to take risks and whether the number of region locked foreign disks they intend to purchase is worth the cost and complications.  Other ways may be direct importing or downloading video files.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: November 19, 2013, 08:43:32 PM »

I bought a region-free Pioneer BD player several years ago and just used it right out of the box.

The only word of caution I would give is actually the same for DVD players - ideally use a TV that accepts NTSC and PAL (in the case of BDs usually only an issue with supplements as the main feature should always be HD) so you don't have to rely on horrible encoders which degrade the image quality.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:49:18 PM by Novecento » Logged
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: December 07, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »

On DVD players it is a software issue - hence the vast majority are able to play all discs from all regions at all times

ON BD players it is a hardware issue - hence the player has to be booted up in the region desired.

I think I should probably have said "firmware" rather than "hardware" for BD players...?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: December 07, 2013, 10:09:33 PM »

thanks.

If I can't simply buy a region-free player and play discs in it normally, then I don't think I am gonna do this. I don't wanna get a player whwre I have to change regions back n' forth, etc. I'm not all that technologically proficient and I'm always afraid that if I make one change I won't be able to then change it back  Wink

but if there is some blu-ray player that I can just buy and then stick in discs from all regions and play them and that's all, then I'd buy it... does such a player exist?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: December 08, 2013, 03:21:55 AM »

http://www.220-electronics.com/sony-bdp-s5100-region-free-blu-ray-dvd-player.html

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: December 08, 2013, 06:04:29 AM »

have you used this and know it's good?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: December 08, 2013, 12:45:52 PM »

Looking at the specs, it doesn't say anything about automatic region switching. I don't know, because I haven't used the deck, but I'd bet you still have to manually switch the regions (for Blu-ray, of course; DVDs of all regions play in all BD decks).

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: December 08, 2013, 04:53:12 PM »

have you used this and know it's good?

no, haven't used it, it was recommended on an electronic page.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: December 21, 2013, 06:28:33 PM »

There is reason to think that a Region A Blu-ray is coming soon, maybe by Spring of 2014: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=8558489#post8558489 (Scroll to the top and hit the "show spoiler" button).

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM