Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 03:13:18 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  NEW DIRECTORS CUT
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW DIRECTORS CUT  (Read 227525 times)
chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: July 02, 2014, 02:32:27 AM »

The newly added 22 minutes of extended scenes bring us closer to Leone original vision of the film, but due to the limited availability of 35mm work prints, the new inserts could not be restored to the same quality as the rest of the film,
that means we going to get same quality of the added scenes as it was released in Italy what a shame, nothing mentioned about color grading color correction. 
there is still 19 minutes missing as Martin Scorsese mentioned other scenes in bad state and restored them takes time, I bet there is going to be another extended version in future.

I didn't expect any great improvement in the quality of the newly added scenes but I just hope that the forthcoming U.S. release will be better than the Italian Blu-ray.

The 32 page booklet puzzles me.  32 pages are not that much - the booklet in the press release looks much thicker, possibly 300 pages:

http://www.lb2121.webspace.virginmedia.com/images/udzTSxG.jpg

(to zoom in click on the .jpg)

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 02:35:29 AM by chris » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: July 02, 2014, 02:51:13 AM »

yeah, considering how bad the new scenes looked on the previous BRD, I sort of gave up hope that those scenes could ever look as good as the rest of the movie, at least until new restoration-technology is invented. However, all I can hope for is that A) the new scenes at least look better than they did on the last BRD; and B) they make the original 229 minutes look as good as they possibly can. I'd much rather have a poor-looking 22 minutes and a great-looking 229 minutes, than have a poor 22 minutes and a mediocre 229 minutes in a lame attempt to make the all the scenes look similar. Hopefully, the technology will eventually be available to restore all the missing scenes to perfect condition, but until then, let's try to make each scene look as good as it possibly can, rather than be concerned about making them look equal.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Derbent 5000
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: July 02, 2014, 07:10:26 AM »

here is the BD back cover

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 07:16:27 AM by Derbent 5000 » Logged
Derbent 5000
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: July 02, 2014, 07:17:01 AM »

I hope original 35mm negatives of the added scenes, as well maybe rest of the missing scenes out there somewhere, that the only way can be restored from the original 35mm negatives, other wise working with positives that have been already badly preserved just hopeless

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: September 11, 2014, 10:14:11 AM »

UK Steelbook, Oct. 27 (presumably everything in the new "Director's Cut" release is included).

« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 10:28:59 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: September 11, 2014, 11:20:24 AM »

Funny that they write that disc 2 is "theatrical cut" - obviously, it's not the theatrical cut (at least not the American one), it's the 229-minute cut, they should call that the "home video cut" or something like that  Wink

this will be a Day 1 purchase for me.

Yeah, DJ, it finally did come out, I guess my optimism beat your skepticism  Tongue

I don't have ant great expectations for the quality of the new scenes, having seen many clips already, of course. I can dream that one day they will find negatives of the full missing 45-50 minutes and release a truly Leone-intended version. That's my American dream.

For now, I will look forward to September 30th  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: September 21, 2014, 12:17:10 PM »

Ordered the big new Blu-Ray set. Coming in next Tuesday... can't wait.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: September 21, 2014, 01:20:53 PM »

Ordered the big new Blu-Ray set. Coming in next Tuesday... can't wait.
Rather, a week from Tuesday (the 30th).

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: September 25, 2014, 07:46:08 PM »

Unfortunately it sounds like a miracle did not happen:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/334757-a-few-words-about%E2%84%A2-once-upon-a-time-in-america-extended-directors-cut-in-blu-ray/

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: September 26, 2014, 02:30:15 AM »

It sounds awful.  Angry

If I read the initial post correctly, the not new scenes in the extended version are drained of color by at least 50% and the theatrical version is the same as WB's 2011 BD  (which I've got twice already).  

But Robert is possibly hinting that his knowledge/expertise on this particular movie is limited and we really need some caps and a proper review from sites such as DVDBeaver or Blu-ray.com.

There's a more detailed review and caps at:

http://www.blu-raydefinition.com/reviews/time-america-extended-directors-cut-blu-ray-review.html

"This Extended Edition Director’s Cut of Once Upon a Time in America has been scanned in 4K resolution and brought to Blu-ray in an AVC/MPEG-4 1080p encodement from Warner. Generally speaking, it looks gorgeous given the nature of the film, its age, and the various techniques Leone employed. "

« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 04:14:50 AM by chris » Logged
chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: September 26, 2014, 04:23:26 AM »

The good news is that WB's new extended BD may be sharper than WB's 2011 BD and may not have the compression problems of the Italian BD.

To judge properly I'd need to see the whole movie rather than individual scanned frames.

The bad news is that the new extended BD may have a tint.

Some color comparisons:

http://www.lb2121.webspace.virginmedia.com/comp.htm

« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 04:35:26 AM by chris » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: September 26, 2014, 09:40:47 AM »

Man, I hope the "theatrical cut" in the new set is an improvement over the 2011 BD. The extended cut is probably something I'll only watch once, but an improved TC I could watch repeatedly for the rest of my life.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: September 26, 2014, 10:00:33 AM »

For the scene with young Noodles and Young Deborah, why has the image from the new Extended Cut been zoomed?

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: September 26, 2014, 11:08:22 AM »

For the scene with young Noodles and Young Deborah, why has the image from the new Extended Cut been zoomed?

Well spotted but nothing sinister. At this stage I don't have access to the new BD and this scene and also the beach scene cap are not exactly the same frame as the caps I've used before. The position of the two guys between the faces of Deborah and Noodles are slightly different and the beach scene is from a different angle. This comparison is meant to be concerned with colors and tints only and it was the easiest way to do it. Also FIFA 15 arrived in my post today and it demanded my urgent attention. Big improvement on FIFA 13  Smiley

I've not looked at the caps at blu-raydefinition.com much but the caps are slightly zoomed in or cropped. Some of the extra detail at the sides of the Manhattan bridge scene is missing.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 12:02:44 PM by chris » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: September 27, 2014, 09:35:57 PM »

Man, I hope the "theatrical cut" in the new set is an improvement over the 2011 BD. The extended cut is probably something I'll only watch once, but an improved TC I could watch repeatedly for the rest of my life.

I agree.

I mean, if the new scenes would be good quality,  the new version would probably be the version I'd watch for the rest of my life, but if this new version is as bad as I am hearing, I'll probably watch it once and never again. I may watch the new scenes a few times separately, but I wouldn't keep subjecting myself to 251 shitty looking minutes

Sad

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM