Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 04:19:14 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  NEW DIRECTORS CUT
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW DIRECTORS CUT  (Read 222195 times)
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: November 09, 2014, 04:03:27 AM »

whether or not they had restored that scene with O'Donnell in Bailey's study, it was absolutely necessary for that 229MV to show the scene of O'Donnell in 1968 on the tv in Fat Moe's. That tv report is the first indication (and I believe the only indication, until Noodles mentions it to Deborah in her dressing room at the end) that Noodles's return has something to do with this probe into Bailey and the union-pension-fund scandal. (This is especially true in the 229MV, which cut out the scene of the elderly Noodles seeing the car at the cemetery and then seeing the same car blow up at Bailey's mansion). If they hadn't shown that tv report, then I believe there would be no mention of Bailey until Noodles talks to Deborah in her dressing room at the end. That would - in my humble, respectful, polite opinion - make zero sense.

There were other options to mention Bailey without showing O'Donnel.

This is the usual problem of making films shorter than intended. One missing scene hurts other scenes or creates other problems for the ongoing film.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 09, 2014, 09:44:23 AM »

There were other options to mention Bailey without showing O'Donnel.

This is the usual problem of making films shorter than intended. One missing scene hurts other scenes or creates other problems for the ongoing film.
But this is the ongoing Story of Sergio. Not only is missing info a problem with his completed films that were later cut, he kept having to do reshoots during production in order to cover material missing from scenes he decided not to film. One thinks of the confusing info Half Soldier gives Angel Eyes in GBU. And let's not even go into the topic of OUATITW.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: November 09, 2014, 09:56:20 AM »

But in OUTW it worked very well. The visible scars of Harmonica's beating are no problem at all, and apart fro the scene in which Fonda was shaves i#m more than glad that all the other known stuff of the screenplay is gone.

And what's wrong with the half soldier? I like it the way it is.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: November 09, 2014, 08:09:53 PM »

The half-soldier dialogue in English is indeed confusing. As DJ says, it was looped in there to explain about the cash box since another scene explaining that was later cut (not sure if it was ever filmed).
Also, in OUATIA, the scene of elderly Noodles visiting Carol in the nursing home, Carol's opening dialogue ("Max fooled us all ...") is looped in there as well - you don't see Carol speaking these lines, it's a bunch of shots of the nrsing home, as I recall - to cover info that was part of cut scenes.
I always would have liked to see the missing scenes from that nursing home (still not available, even in the new extended version). I always thought that the sudden appearance of elderly Carol, and the juxtaposition with elderly Deborah, was confusing. (though i guess the latter is explained now with the restoration of the scene of Deborah acting Shakespeare).

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: November 10, 2014, 06:58:20 AM »

The half-soldier dialogue in English is indeed confusing. As DJ says, it was looped in there to explain about the cash box since another scene explaining that was later cut (not sure if it was ever filmed).

Not sure that Half-soldier's dialogue is confusing...

...but maybe his mind was on the upcoming whiskey...

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: November 10, 2014, 12:11:57 PM »

Yes, it's hardly confusing. The scene gives some information so that the film can go on. Fits the purpose perfectly.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: November 10, 2014, 12:14:01 PM »

Not sure that Half-soldier's dialogue is confusing...
The first time through? I'm not talking about after having seen the film a thousand times like everyone here has. I'm talking about showing the film to a complete newbie and charting his reaction. If he's part of the RR Power cohort, he'll be confused.

Add to this the fact that whatever the original dialog was is now lost to us forever. Maybe there was some choice stuff there . . .

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: November 10, 2014, 07:38:56 PM »

Yes, it's hardly confusing. The scene gives some information so that the film can go on. Fits the purpose perfectly.

I agree.

In fact, the only scene in any of Leone's movies that I find confusing is the Aschenbach scene in Duck You Sucker.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: November 10, 2014, 08:34:51 PM »

I agree.

In fact, the only scene in any of Leone's movies that I find confusing is the Aschenbach scene in Duck You Sucker.

I definitely found that Aschenbach scene with the dynamite confusing. It still feels like there may be a scene before that that's missing.
First Juan destroy's Sean's ride, in an attempt to make him work with him ... then Sean is passed out drunk and suddenly Juan is there and there is dynamite and boom! Sean's boss is dead? Weird scene.

It's no coincidence that the two Leone movies which don't have any of these problems are FOD and FAFDM the two movies which weren't cut by distributors or exhibitors, and the two shortest Leone movies. (And I'm talking about the six movies he is famous for directing; I know someone is gonna try to mention COR or MNIN.)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: November 11, 2014, 02:29:49 AM »

There is indeed a scene missing before the Aschenbach scene, but that does not alter the part about Aschenbach. The only difference is that Mallory is now slightly disorientated while drunk, whereas in the screenplay it was due to dehydration. Otherwise the scene is the same.
But I can understand why this scene may confuse people, but it does not happen necessarily.

If there is a film which is partly confusing than it is FAFDM. Indio does a lot of confusing things, and some cannot explained by his madness sufficiently.

DJASh
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: November 30, 2014, 04:42:32 AM »

So, is this new cut worth buying?

OUATIA is my favourite film of all time, so on that level I feel obliged to buy it...

On the other hand there seem to be criticisms of the print quality...?

I also often find that Directors Cut versions of cherished films can be disappointing, diluting the perfect version with which I'm so familiar. New scenes can seem like unecesssary clutter, or even alter the whole tone of a film.

Any thoughts welcome, amigos...

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #731 on: November 30, 2014, 05:34:58 AM »

Why ask and not try instead if you like the film? You can get it pretty cheap, so you cannot lose much if you don't like every aspect of the disc.

I haven't bought it yet, even if it was already beneath 10 . But I'm not in a hurry.

SimRob
Chicken Thief

View Profile WWW
« Reply #732 on: January 31, 2015, 05:11:50 AM »

OUATIA is my favourite film of all time, so on that level I feel obliged to

It is worth getting. The new scenes are great. Their quality is not good, and it's jarring to suddenly see scenes of lower picture quality. I hope in the future the scenes are restored seamlessly, and last I heard, they are trying to do that. But that might take a while and you should see those scenes, particularly as it's your favourite film.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 15, 2015, 09:35:26 PM »

OUATIA is my favourite film of all time, so on that level I feel obliged to buy it...

On the other hand there seem to be criticisms of the print quality...?

It's also my favorite film, and I will never watch the extended cut again.

Rent it.

Nawroz
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 13, 2015, 11:08:40 AM »

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone tell me the latest on the future of this film? will there be anything else after the 25e extra minutes added? I heard that even with the 25 minutes included it was pulled pending further work?

Regards,

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM