Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2022, 10:14:57 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Going To Bed Early
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Going To Bed Early  ( 4991 )
THE BIG MAN
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

« : October 02, 2004, 04:21:52 PM »

When Fat Moe asks Noodles "what have you been doing all these years"- his reply is "going to bed early".
Do you think Noodles has been in prison all these years? He has already spent most of his young life in prison-when he starts his new life in Buffalo it makes sense that it would have been a continuing Life Of Crime-the only life he new-which would have made it possible that he would have ended up doing more prison time-and prison after all is the only place where you are made to go to bed early!
Any comments?

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #1 : October 02, 2004, 06:09:58 PM »

Before i go into my thoughts on whether i think noodles was ever in prison i would bet there is probably more insight to this answer in the book... not sure but it's possible... so if anyone has read it, chime in.

I would say no just because he did leave with some money... it's not like he would have had to go into crime just to make ends meet and he wanted to keep a low profile... thats why he was in buffalo... not to mention as far as i know htere was no real underground organized crime in buffalo and he definitly had enough money saved up to stay out of the petty crimes. i think all he ment by "going to bed early" was that he was staying out of trouble as opposed to his fast paced, high excitement life as part of an organized crime operation... and that being somewhat in a depressed state he probably really did go to bed early... anyway thats my thoughts on the comment and noodles time away.

« : October 02, 2004, 06:11:44 PM grandpa_chum »

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

« #2 : October 13, 2004, 04:05:59 PM »

When Fat Moe asks Noodles "what have you been doing all these years"- his reply is "going to bed early".
Do you think Noodles has been in prison all these years? He has already spent most of his young life in prison-when he starts his new life in Buffalo it makes sense that it would have been a continuing Life Of Crime-the only life he new-which would have made it possible that he would have ended up doing more prison time-and prison after all is the only place where you are made to go to bed early!
Any comments?
It is even simpler... "Going to bed early" is a quotation of some famous book or play. It's written in ray Freaklin book, but I don't remember the name, can someone help?

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

« #3 : October 13, 2004, 05:16:26 PM »

i would have thought it would be more in chime with his general mood if he had literally gettin' old and not doing a lot with his life - it having become pointless since he fled.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #4 : November 03, 2004, 01:54:57 PM »

it is a famous quote of famous french books "a la recherche du temps perdu" (i.e. "the search of (or the quest for) the lost time") by the famous Marcel Proust :)
i've never read those books, only extracts, but they are supposed to be great (and i liked the extracts). Sergio did sometimes speak about it.
The point is that in those books, the autor makes links between some sensations (a smell, a taste...) and the memory. The best-known exemple is the madeleine: the narrator eats a madeleine, which recalls him something (i can't remember what exactly). So you can easily understand why OUATIA and à la recherche du temps perdu are so close, and why did leone wanted to show it, putting a quotation.

John Baldwin
Gunslinger

Do you recognize this string ???

« #5 : November 03, 2004, 03:21:04 PM »

It's funny because in this book, the madeleine (what a French accent...lol) reminds to him the past of the author, his childhood, like all the flash back and how the gang was when they were young. So there is effectively a link between A la recherche du temps perdu and OUATIA.  :D

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #6 : November 04, 2004, 10:22:14 AM »

have you ever read this book john? i would like to, but i can't find the time...

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines