Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 02:12:53 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Seventh Juror (1962 French film)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Seventh Juror (1962 French film)  (Read 366 times)
kjrwe
Gunslinger

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2017, 11:44:18 PM »

I love this film so much that I thought I'd start a thread about it. I did a search and I can't find a thread on it, so here goes.

The movie starts out with a middle-aged pharmacist and his partner resting together. The partner has fallen asleep, and the main character gets up for a walk. During his walk, he stumbles upon an attractive young woman sunbathing topless in an isolated area. Feeling sexually frustrated, he attempts to kiss her. She rejects him and he strangles her. Afterwards, he realizes that he had committed murder and he decides to act as if though nothing out of the ordinary had happened. When the young lady's partner is arrested for the crime, he (main character) is selected to be on the jury, to defend the accused.

Great film, well paced, excellent dialogue, terrific glimpse into human nature, and a final minute which really came as a surprise to me. However, this isn't one of those films which relies heavily on the ending. It offers a lot during its (roughly) 100 minute run, and the ending makes it even more memorable.

Nice soundtrack, too.

Highly recommended!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 03:32:20 AM »

it's always good to give us a source, how did you watch it cable, DVD, etc.,?                                         

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noirjoe
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 06:48:50 AM »

I totally agree with your review. This is an excellent film and I've watched it several times.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 04:14:05 AM »

This one hangs between boredom and ridicule. BB a strangler? Give me a break! Why not casting De Funès, then? At least it would have been funnier: BB couldn't strangle a old hen, let alone a young woman. But that is not the worst part, the problem comes with the trial where BB plays juror number 12, unfortunately not in the jury room but in front of all the magistrates, with a prosecutor who is nothing short of a buffoon and a lawyer who is apparently payed for doing nothing (and of course you have a MD who didn't examine her nails to find traces of the killer's skin, apparently she didn't struggle but consented to be strangled without opposing resistance). But apart from these niceties, which could be tolerated if the movie could be fast moving as TAM (where there are also such liberties with logic, but the pace being much faster are easily passed upon) here the filmakers were not satisfied with making a thriller, but wanted to give relevance by letting him ruminate on wasted time, opportunities, lost youth and whatever. As if that weren't enough there's the heavy, predictable indictement of the small town's (or about) powers-to-be, all caring about keeping up a respectable front. So the end comes quite logical and far from unexpected, earning this crap a generous 4/10. Still an inkling of what this could have been comes toward the end when BB tries to convince people of his culpability, not being believed: that could (and should) have been the point around which to build the movie.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 04:15:51 AM »

Oh, I forgot the source:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3dXitD25SE&t=98s

kjrwe
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 09:46:13 PM »

I totally agree with your review. This is an excellent film and I've watched it several times.

There's just one thing: I found it odd that the main character didn't even attempt to rape his victim. He tried to kiss her, but I thought that he would go much further with her. After all, he had a golden opportunity. No one was around. Anyhow...

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 12:12:28 PM »

Still an inkling of what this could have been comes toward the end when BB tries to convince people of his culpability, not being believed: that could (and should) have been the point around which to build the movie.
That is the most interesting part of the movie, but its not enough on which to base an entire film. Not without more killing. But then you'd end up with something like Coup de torchon, which got made anyway.

I like the trial scene, probably because it's so different from how US trials work. Also the dynamic is interesting, with BB taking control and duping the professionals whilst simultaneously his wife (not his partner, kjrwe!) figures everything out. Her gaze is what the film is really about.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 03:27:46 PM »

Her gaze is what the film is really about.

Again with gazes? After Marisa Berenson? And Gail Russell?  Roll Eyes  

« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 03:30:34 PM by titoli » Logged

kjrwe
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 05:23:53 PM »

I like the trial scene, probably because it's so different from how US trials work. Also the dynamic is interesting, with BB taking control and duping the professionals whilst simultaneously his wife (not his partner, kjrwe!) figures everything out. Her gaze is what the film is really about.

When did I refer to his wife as his partner? I never mentioned her at all in my opening post.

Her gaze was absolutely priceless. Great acting on her part!

kjrwe
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 01:31:27 AM »

I was thinking about this film the other day.

I'm completely convinced that this society didn't really WANT the real killer to be found. They had an obvious suspect and this was good enough for them.

The priest (to whom the killer confessed) phoned to say that he got a confession, but they dismissed it as nonsense. Then the court refused to check the victim's fingernails for traces of the killer's skin. Later, the killer confessed and no one believe him.  What a society! Geez.

Excellent film. I look forward to watching it many, many times in the future.  Smiley

kjrwe
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 12:50:54 AM »

I watched it again tonight. I couldn't help myself.

Even if that nasty community had wanted to find the killer, it would have been pretty much impossible, because the killer had a number of people who thought that they could give him an alibi (and they were believed, too).

Sadly, this was a society which was happy to put the blame on someone who really wasn't part of the team, so to speak.

By the way, has anyone else here had a chance to see this recently? If so, I hope you'll post reviews!  Smiley

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM