Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 06:14:27 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  FRANK GIO AS BEEFY
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FRANK GIO AS BEEFY  (Read 6422 times)
THE BIG MAN
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2004, 10:48:28 AM »

Hi Everyone,

Sorry just getting used to this great site. Was hoping to start speaking to fellow OUATIA lovers asap.  Please dont think because im a Newbie/Llama that I dont have opions, theories, Info to offer. So far only spoken to Grandpa-Chum-thanks Gramps for your reply. Was wondering Grandpa what your comments  were on the Mario Brega/Frank Gio issue?  I think the Big Hood is played by Gio-listed in the credits as Beefy-he is the same actor in Analyze That (Lou The Wrench)-Im almost certain that the Big Hood is not Mario Brega.
Ps I saw OUATIA in September 1984 the first night it opened in the UK-it was a night I will never forget.  The previous month Leone was at the  Edinburgh Film Festival UK Premier of the film-Clint Eastwood was at the Premier also (I think he was in town to promote another film) Anyhoo afterwards he was asked what he thought of the film-he stated "It was too long"-I kid you not!

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 02:31:08 PM »

OATIA too long?  Bah, Clint's a philistine.

Hello Big Man.  I think everyone assumed the thug at the beginning is Brega without a beard - because, hey, why not?  Big + Sadist = Brega.

But riddle me this Riddler - if Frank Gio is the thug at the beginning, where's Brega?  He's got a prominent credit in the film and he's pretty tough to hide.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 03:46:04 PM »

Brega in "The Great Silence" doesn't have a beard, he looks like Mandy

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 03:57:07 PM »

My guess is that Brega is the bus station ticketmaster Shocked

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 05:09:15 PM »

the ticketmaster is a possiblility... but on second review the big guy at the begining really does look like brega... check out the lazy eye... also beefy, trigger, and mandy are all in succesion in the credits... is it possible that gio is one of the other 3 gunmen in the opening scenes?

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
THE BIG MAN
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 05:19:11 PM »

OATIA too long?  Bah, Clint's a philistine.

Hello Big Man.  I think everyone assumed the thug at the beginning is Brega without a beard - because, hey, why not?  Big + Sadist = Brega.

But riddle me this Riddler - if Frank Gio is the thug at the beginning, where's Brega?  He's got a prominent credit in the film and he's pretty tough to hide.
OK I think he may be one of the other thugs at the begining of the film.  In the opening scene when Eve is killed there are three thugs-Thug one (Guy who kills Eve) Thug two (Big Guy who breaks Noodles photo) I reckon this guy is Frank Gio credited as Beefy and thug three (guy with moustache who is told to wait in case Noodles shows up). The other two thugs leave.  Ok in the next scene when Fat Moe is beaten up these two thugs are again present, but bizarrely so is a new thug-leaning against a table, smoking and looking smug.  I think this may possibly be Brega-and that this scene was possibly trimmed at the introduction to him, Brega would have been about 60 when OUATIA was filmed).  This thug is also prominent again in the Chinese Theatre.  I dont think being high in the cast list makes much difference GENERAL- I think this is more Leone looking after an old friend!  Look how far down the cast list some of the young (less known) more prominent actors were listed!
Fraylings book lists Brega as Mandy the heaviest leader of Eve's killers-but I think the Prof is wrong.

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004, 05:46:45 AM »

Here are some pics of Mario Brega as an old man, still with his beard though...

It's class.
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2004, 08:53:44 AM »

he does seem to know english particularly well when youy consider his words were dubbed in the Dollars Trilogy.

Maybe its a mistake in the credits and he's not in OUATIA at all, just maybe.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2004, 09:42:25 AM »

a new thug-leaning against a table, smoking and looking smug... I think this is more Leone looking after an old friend!  

It's always good to see old friends, especially when they have so many stories to tell.

I can't see a scene-stealer like Brega playing second banana to some Frank Gio dude in a Leone movie, he'd probably break a bottle over Beefy's head and thumb Sergio's eyeballs out before he let that happen.  Brega doing nothing in the background and leaning against a table?  That would be like Leone telling Eli Wallach to sit still and stop making faces.

Someone needs to put up some screen shots of Mandy from OATIA side-by-side against pix of Brega like in the ticket seller thread, that's the only way to figure this out:

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=61;start=30

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2004, 11:40:20 AM »

to tell you the honest truth... after looking at some pictures of both brega and gio... i don't see how you could tell either apart... neither has any discernable facial characteristics that could confirm or deny their participation in the movie.

I'm sticking with my theory that brega was in a scene that was cut out even from the directors cut... if you remember leone had 6 hours of footage he really wanted in the movie and that was even after he cut it down from the 10 hours of usable stuff he had.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2004, 11:41:44 AM by grandpa_chum » Logged

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2004, 12:34:56 PM »

Yeah, the smug-looking, smiling guy at the opium den at the beginning, when the thugs are looking for Noodles - that's Brega (Mandy).

THE BIG MAN
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2004, 12:50:24 PM »

to tell you the honest truth... after looking at some pictures of both brega and gio... i don't see how you could tell either apart... neither has any discernable facial characteristics that could confirm or deny their participation in the movie.

I'm sticking with my theory that brega was in a scene that was cut out even from the directors cut... if you remember leone had 6 hours of footage he really wanted in the movie and that was even after he cut it down from the 10 hours of usable stuff he had.
Has anyone managed to have a look at Analyze That yet? Come on someone must own it? I know its a painful experiece-just skip to the end and you will see Gio. He has a distinctive NY gravely voice. If I can have this confirmed by another post that this is the same big guy that is the leader of the thugs at the start of OUATIA-we can then move on and try to figure out which character in the film is  played by Brega.  Grandpa_Chum-sorry when did state that you thought Brega was cut-I thought you were the one that confirmed Brega was the main hood? Also I think Brega is in the finished movie (even if only for one scene) I reckon if he was cut out entirely then he wouldnt have got a credit!  Louise Fletcher was totally cut out of the film-she didnt get a credit.  I think there would be some sort of SAG rule for this scenario.

THE BIG MAN
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2004, 01:02:01 PM »

Yeah, the smug-looking, smiling guy at the opium den at the beginning, when the thugs are looking for Noodles - that's Brega (Mandy).
Thank Cusser

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2004, 02:55:39 PM »

No, just compared some pics of Brega with that scene on the dvd. That's definately not him, the nose is wrong for a start.

It's class.
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2004, 04:45:52 PM »

well when i first posted the question, wondering where brega was in the film i thought he must have been cut... but when someone mentioned that it was the big hood at the begining i took a closer look and it did look like brega so i just believed it... but now i'm not so sure... i never meant to confirm anything.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM