Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 09:47:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Network DVD sale.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Network DVD sale.  (Read 332 times)
morrison-dylan-fan
Bandido

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2017, 04:56:15 PM »

Hi all,the UK DVD company is having a 45% off sale this week,the company have put out 100's of British Comedy,Noir and more film and TV shows:

http://networkonair.com/105-sale/

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 02:05:38 AM »

As per usual, their site can become quite unresponsive during these sales and they extended the sale as a result. Their loss is our gain tho! Smiley

I picked up quite a few discs in the sale, and just placed another order. Also upgraded a few older DVD's to Blu-ray heh.

They seem to focus more on releasing British TV series nowadays, I really wish they would release more old movies again.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
morrison-dylan-fan
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 12:12:56 PM »

Hi XHC! I hope you picked up some good titles,I've gotten hold of:

1:Carnival of Souls.

2:The Love Race (a Comedy)

3: The Great Defender (early courtroom Drama)

4: Stolen Assignment (a Crime movie by Terence Fisher.)

5:House Across The Lake (Hammer Noir)

With TV shows,I actually think Network do very well at uncovering TV Noir.

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 05:36:25 AM »

I still have my 2nd order on its way, but some of the movies I picked up include:
The Last Seduction (upgrade to blu-ray)
Hell Drivers (upgrade to blu-ray)
Mr. Denning Drives North
Little Red Monkey
Do You Know This Voice?
You Can't Escape (http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1822.msg190649#msg190649)
The Night Has Eyes
Offbeat
Ring Of Spies

18 movies in total. Bit mad, but oh well...

I thought about Stolen Assignment, maybe next time... Please post a review after you've seen it!

House Across The Lake is pretty decent, I already have it tho, it's also one of those old Hammer Noir DVD sets. I imagine this DVD looks a bit better tho.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 08:55:34 AM »

I would love to order some movies, but I believe they're all Region 2, correct?

I didn't know Hell Drivers is out on blu-ray now. I'd buy that.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 09:52:12 AM »

Yes, they're region 2 / B. Time to invest in a region free DVD/Blu-ray player Cheesy

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 01:47:09 AM »

Jessica,

I just bought my first region-free BRD player. A SONY, for $149 on Amazon. I have not yet tried any BRD's on it, but I did try a DVD that is Region 2 PAL and it plays just fine  Smiley (Note: someone once told me that all BRD players will play DVDs from any region - even a Region A BRD player would play a Region 2 DVD, but it may be unable to play PAL DVD's. I have no idea if that is true. The same person also told me that even Region-Free BRD players may be unable to play PAL DVD's. Again, I have no idea if that is true.

All I know is, I bought this player
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01D915UC4/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I tried this one PAL DVD and it worked fine.

I have not yet tried any BRD's on it but I am sure it'll be fine.

At that link you will see various options, like for the $149 you'll get a player with wired internet connection, or for $179 with wi-fi, etc.
I took the cheaper one because A) I have an ethernet cable available if I want to connect it, and, more importantly B) I  don't plan on connecting it to the Internet anyway, because I have seen a number of commenters mention on Amazon that you should not do software updates for region free Blu-ray players, because sometimes after the software update, the player loses its region-free capability for some reason. I have seen a number of people mention this, so  I decided to just never connect my player to the Internet to be safe. (Of course, I could connect it to the Internet and just make sure that the auto-update feature is off, but I figured it's safer to just not have it connected to the Internet.) If I do need Internet for some reason, such as to use a streaming service, I will just turn on the Internet on my  Smart TV and use the streaming service there my Smart TV has all the streaming services that the Blu-ray player has anyway.

I paid the $149 for the BRD player, plus I took the option of purchasing a 4-year insurance plan for less than $25. So I know that I will for sure have this player for at least 4 years  Smiley

I dragged  my feet for years on buying the region-free player, because I thought it was very expensive and maybe not that important anyway. But I realized recently how having it allows so many more BRD's be available to you - you'll never again have to worry about region-encoding - and $150 is not that much  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 07:51:40 AM »

D & D, thanks for the recommendations.
I know I should get a region-free player, but I've been putting it off forever. I'll look into it. There are so many British films I'd like to get.

Jessica Rabbit
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 03:35:56 PM »

D & D, thanks for the recommendations.
I know I should get a region-free player, but I've been putting it off forever. I'll look into it. There are so many British films I'd like to get.

I hope you got yourself a region/free player by now, Network UK has another 40% off sale again: http://networkonair.com/2-home

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 03:39:09 PM »

No, I still haven't. Shame on me.

Jessica Rabbit
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 03:54:01 PM »

No, I still haven't. Shame on me.

I think we need to start a fundraiser... This is unacceptable.

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 05:11:50 PM »

I think we need to start a fundraiser... This is unacceptable.
Grin

Jessica Rabbit
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM