Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 08:48:00 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Daniel Day-Lewis Appreciation Thread
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Daniel Day-Lewis Appreciation Thread  (Read 4915 times)
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 11:09:54 PM »

I've watched it many times. Actors speaking English in a film set in Czechland does not, in my book, constitute great performances.
I agree that's annoying sometimes but it's not really the actors' fault, but rather the producer's or director's.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 11:50:01 PM »

I've watched it many times. Actors speaking English in a film set in Czechland does not, in my book, constitute great performances.

I see what you're saying but I still enjoyed it.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 08:29:13 PM »

I've only seen him in three films, if you include his bit part in Gandhi, and I've yet to be impressed. I will probably see "There Will Be Blood" eventually, but my last two cinematic excursions quite drained my bank account.

Saturday nights with Groggy
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 08:29:41 PM »

Daniel Day-Lewis in "There Will Be Blood." His latest tour de france performance!

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 02:16:21 PM »

Had to bump this up because rrpower started a similar thread. Post here rrpower! Afro

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 02:16:55 PM »

One of the greatest actors ever and currently the greatest living one. I've seen several of his films now.  I'd rank them from best to worst something like this:

1. There Will Be Blood
2. The Age of Innocence
3. In the Name of the Father
4. Gangs of New York
5. The Last of the Mohicans
6. My Left Foot
7. The Crucible

That is in order of his best movies overall, not of best performance. By performance the list would be a lot different, but with #1 still at the top and #7 at the bottom. I'm really interested in seeing The Boxer and My Beautiful Laundrette. Any thoughts on those?

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 02:21:20 PM »

One of the greatest actors ever and currently the greatest living one. I've seen several of his films now.  I'd rank them from best to worst something like this:

1. There Will Be Blood
2. The Age of Innocence
3. In the Name of the Father
4. Gangs of New York
5. The Last of the Mohicans
6. My Left Foot
7. The Crucible

That is in order of his best movies overall, not of best performance. By performance the list would be a lot different, but with #1 still at the top and #7 at the bottom. I'm really interested in seeing The Boxer and My Beautiful Laundrette. Any thoughts on those?

I enjoyed "The Boxer" very much. It's a good, solid drama. It's not a classic but if you're a Daniel Day-Lewis fan as I am, I highly recommend it. I actually haven't seen "My Beautiful Laundrette" though but it's on my radar.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 08:46:04 AM »

Free streaming! http://www.hulu.com/watch/137684/the-age-of-innocence

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2017, 01:14:13 AM »

DANIEL DAY-LEWIS HAS ANNOUNCED HIS RETIREMENT FROM ACTING

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/daniel-day-lewis-quits-acting-oscar-winner-1202472766/

DD-L's spokeswoman, Leslee Dart, said in a statement: "Daniel Day-Lewis will no longer be working as an actor. He is immensely grateful to all of his collaborators and audiences over the many years. This is a private decision and neither he nor his representatives will make any further comment on this subject."

DD-L has completed work on one movie that is yet to be released: Phantom Thread, about a high-society London tailor in the 1950's, directed by Paul Thomas Anderson http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5776858/?ref_=nv_sr_1

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2017, 07:52:36 AM »

Damn, that's sad. But he has a strange filmography. There were always huge gaps between his movies, sometimes 5 years. What did he do in between? I mean it's refreshing to have an actor who really doesn't care about Hollywood, but for such a brilliant actor he didn't seem to care about acting too much either.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM