Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 05:11:15 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Shock (1946)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shock (1946)  (Read 160 times)
greenbudgie
Bandido

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2017, 03:22:15 AM »

Fox had decided that they were taking too long to make their films so they churned this one out in 18 days. Their main casting concern was to use actors who could speed-learn a script. So the lead went to Vincent Price who had sharpened his quick reading of roles on the stage.

'Shock' is a psychological thriller that uses noir devices. I t concerns a psychiatrist who is having an affair with a nurse. His illicit involvement is threatened with exposure. So he is panicked into committing a murder in a hotel room in order to save his reputation.

He is overseen by a hotel guest who goes into a state of shock. He then takes charge of the female witness, Mrs Stuart, in order to find out if she saw and what she could remember of it. Predicaments ensue from this.

Vincent Price gives a frigid performance as the psychiatrist but his fans will love it. His sanatorium is fairly gothic. And there is a great thunderstorm sequence during which an elderly male patient with mad piercing eyes attacks Mrs Stuart.

Another scene I particularly like is Mrs Stuart having a dream in her hotel room. She is anxious to reunite with her husband who is returning from a POW camp. In the dream she hears his panicky voice calling to her. In her desperation she is blocked from getting to the door in time. Has his war experiences hanged him? Has he come back in one piece? Does he still love her?

Lynn Bari is the nurse. She makes a good temptress in a white uniform. Lynn Bari was often the 'other woman' in some decent 1940s films.

Despite this being an obviously cheap B-movie quickie I feel no shame in recommending 'Shock.' 7/10.

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 05:57:07 AM »

Good review. I also wouldn't hesitate to recommend this movie. It's not a classic by any means, but it's entertaining and Price and Bari form a great villainous pair.

Unlike Price Bari seems mostly forgotten these days, which is a shame, she was a beautiful and versatile actress.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
kjrwe
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 11:31:05 PM »

I saw this movie about 11 or 12 years ago and I liked it. Movies like this one are proof that a good movie doesn't need to have a 200 million dollar budget. Good films can be done by spending a minimal amount of money. Great acting, too.

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 07:53:51 AM »

I liked the movie too. Lynn Bari is a very underrated actress. In Shock she was positively evil.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM