Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 17, 2018, 04:38:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Black Hand (2018)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Black Hand (2018)  (Read 221 times)
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2017, 03:12:40 AM »

Leonardo DiCaprio will star as Joe Petrosino, the first Italian-American detective in the New York Police Department, who fought The Black Hand mafia in the early 20th century

The movie will be based on the 2017 book "The Black Hand," by Stephen Talty

Paramount bought the rights to the book and will distribute the film, which will be produced through The Gotham Group and DiCaprio’s Appian Way
Thus far, no other names have been attached to the movie

I'm excited about the movie. I have not read the book, but I figure that the story of Petrosino and the Black Hand is good material for a screenplay. I like DiCaprio as an actor; I just hope he can convincingly play an Italian!

Scorsese would probably be a great idea to direct this, an Italian/New York gangster film, and it has his current muse DiCaprio! but he's currently doing his Italian project with Pacino and Pesci and De Niro & Co.; and B) I doubt he'd sign on to a project by Paramount/DiCaprio, rather than doing a project he conceived. I just hope this movie is done well; the material is there for a good story.

Previous movies about this story:

There was a pretty decent movie about Petrosino and the Black Hand released in 1960, called Pay or Die. Ernest Borgnine played Petrosino

I gave that film a 7.5/10

There are only two posts on the SLWB about Pay or Die, here and here

According to Wikipedia's Petrosino page , there were two other movies made about Petrosino , neither of which I've seen: The Adventures of Lieutenant Petrosino (1912) and the 1973 Italian movie La Mano Nera/The Black Hand, with Lionel Stander playing Petrosino.
There was also a 1950 film called Black Hand starring Gene Kelly (!) as an Italian whose father was killed by the Black Hand Though Petrosino is never mentioned by name in that movie, the movie has an Italian-American police detective played by J. Carrol Naish who is obviously based on Petrosino.

Of course, The Godfather Part II has a brief mention of the Black Hand, but nothing about Petrosino.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 03:33:59 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: