Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 05:13:53 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Remaking (Sorry Reimagining) OUATIA
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Remaking (Sorry Reimagining) OUATIA  (Read 11332 times)
THE BIG MAN
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2004, 08:27:19 AM »

Ok guys and girls-how about a bit of fun.  Lets all pretend that were casting directors. New cast required for the reimagining of OUATIA-God forbid!

Noodles:Russell Crowe
Deborah:Catherine Zeta Jones or Jennifer Connelly (Ha)!
Max:Steve Buschemi (looks a bit like Woods)
Cockeye:Jack Black (could also play Moe)
Patsy:Ben Affleck
Jimmy O'Donnell:Colin Farrell
Police chief Aiello:James Galdofini

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 02:29:02 PM »

Russell Crowe!!!!! Even if u are taking the piss!!  Grin

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
David Aaronson
Bandido

Noodles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 03:38:39 PM »

Ok guys and girls-how about a bit of fun.  Lets all pretend that were casting directors. New cast required for the reimagining of OUATIA-God forbid!

Noodles:Russell Crowe
Deborah:Catherine Zeta Jones or Jennifer Connelly (Ha)!
Max:Steve Buschemi (looks a bit like Woods)
Cockeye:Jack Black (could also play Moe)
Patsy:Ben Affleck
Jimmy O'Donnell:Colin Farrell
Police chief Aiello:James Galdofini

Well, let's take a look at this. I like the idea of Jennifer Connelly playing her own older self, wouldn't it be great if original footage of her scenes as a young girl were edited into this new version... well, that would be the only real plus about a remake of this movie.

Steve Buscemi as Max? He's only ten years younger than Woods and certainly can't convince as a man in his twenties anymore. I'd go with Edward Norton, in my opinion he could really play this role and not be much less than Woods.

I'd choose Jared Leto for the role of Patsy, because he's got those piercing eyes that James Hayden has too. He could look the part too.

For Cockeye, I'd go with Kiefer Sutherland. He may be a little old for the part, but I think he could really pull it off well. Remember that De Niro was 40 during shooting...

Colin Farrel, I agree, does look the part of O'Donnell, I must admit. However, I've never seen too much of him acting, so I'm not really sure... I bet he could be allright.

Gandolfini as Aiello? I don't know... Gandolfini usually puts a lot of his mannerisms in his roles, and that wouldn't be good for this part... How about Andy Garcia?

As for Carol, who you didn't mention... perhaps Sharon Stone, but I'm not to sure about that.

Fat Moe shouldn't be played by Black, Black's too much of a comic figure. Philip Seymour Hoffman would be a good choice in my book.

Now, for the most important part, Noodles...
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Adrien Brody. He's got that mournful look on his face, and we all know he's got a Jewish nose. Cheesy

But honestly, Russel Crowe??? Huh How'd you come with that one?

Fat Moe: What have you been doing all these years?
Noodles: I've been going to bed early.
THE BIG MAN
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 07:28:55 PM »

Lets not confuse Crowe the actor with Crowe the real life Ass Bag!  The man is a brilliant actor-with the best on screen presence since De Niro. Forget about the hype of Gladiator-his performance in LA Confidential was a standout- in a brilliant cast/film.  The man has talent in abundance and would embrace the Noodles role-especially the older Noodles.  Adrian Brody-im not sure, The Pianist (very promising) but the Village performace was very poor-lacks charisma. You could also consider Jim Caviezell- also very mournful.

Check out Steve Buscemi in gangster film Billy Bathgate-he looks a lot like Max-but Ed Norton would be great-did you see him in American History X? Brilliant.

Jared Leto, Ben Affleck, Christian Bale-Im sure anyone of these pretty boy actors could play Patsy-It really was a nothing role.

Kiefer would be too busy on 24 to play Cockeye-Im sure Jack Black could stretch himself dramatically.

Andy Garcia as Aiello-no way.  Aiello needs to be a big guy-if not Galdofini what about Nick Nolte or Brian Dennehy?

Sharon Stone would be great as Carol or you could have Angelina Jolie.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman as Fat Moe-great choice.

What about Eve-Rene Zelwegger?

Re Colin Farrell-check out Phone Booth-the man can act. Also lots of Oscar buzz on Alexander.

David Aaronson
Bandido

Noodles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 07:39:27 AM »

Lets not confuse Crowe the actor with Crowe the real life Ass Bag!  The man is a brilliant actor-with the best on screen presence since De Niro. Forget about the hype of Gladiator-his performance in LA Confidential was a standout- in a brilliant cast/film.  The man has talent in abundance and would embrace the Noodles role-especially the older Noodles.  Adrian Brody-im not sure, The Pianist (very promising) but the Village performace was very poor-lacks charisma. You could also consider Jim Caviezell- also very mournful.
I don't know much about Crowe's private life, and frankly, Big Man, I don't give a damn. About his private life, that is. He might be a good actor, I just don't like him, I can't tell why. I just can't see him as a convincing gangster, and certainly not as Noodles. Caviezel just looks to much like... I don't know, I just don't think his face is right to portray Noodles. He aires a certain roughness, a certain edge, which is fine for say, The Thin Red Line or even Pay It Forward, but I'm afraid he wouldn't convince me as Noodles. Brody might have been a fool in The Village, but he was convincing in the part. I don't know if I would choose De Niro as Noodles if I had to base my decision on just Awakenings...
Check out Steve Buscemi in gangster film Billy Bathgate-he looks a lot like Max-but Ed Norton would be great-did you see him in American History X? Brilliant.
Norton is almost always brilliant, but you're right, X takes the cake. I just can't picture Buscemi as playing anything that's not quirky or a loser or likewise...
Jared Leto, Ben Affleck, Christian Bale-Im sure anyone of these pretty boy actors could play Patsy-It really was a nothing role.
Affleck? Shocked No way, not in a million years. Bale, perhaps, but I only know him from American Psycho. I chose Leto because he has those piercing blue eyes, just like Hayden had piercing eyes.
Kiefer would be too busy on 24 to play Cockeye-Im sure Jack Black could stretch himself dramatically.
Hmmm... in the alternate universe that would be the only place where this remake could be made, Sutherland would be free of obligations, I believe...
Black first would have to lose some weight and change his whole mimicry/facial expression for me to be convinced by him.
Andy Garcia as Aiello-no way.  Aiello needs to be a big guy-if not Galdofini what about Nick Nolte or Brian Dennehy?
They're both too close to Aiello's age... maybe Ricky Aiello is an idea? I've never seen him though.
Sharon Stone would be great as Carol or you could have Angelina Jolie.
I'd choose Stone over Jolie, Stone fits the role better in my eyes. But I'm not really happy with her either...
Phillip Seymour Hoffman as Fat Moe-great choice.
Isn't it? Cool
What about Eve-Rene Zelwegger?
No, I don't think that would work... Zellweger is too much of a lightweight in my book.
Re Colin Farrell-check out Phone Booth-the man can act. Also lots of Oscar buzz on Alexander.
Perhaps... I'll take your word for it.

Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 02:50:51 PM »

As the Crowe flies? Not in OUATIA. No way, no thanks! Could see him as an extra in the Chinese theatre!!!!!

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2004, 04:28:11 PM »

when is the last time oscar buzz meant crap... i'll tell you when, not in the last 50 years... way too many great acters never won one and way too many terrible ones did... not saying ferrel can't act because i don't really know... i stay away from the kind of movies he's in... but don't take oscar buzz or even academy awards as an argument... they mean nothing

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
John Baldwin
Gunslinger

Do you recognize this string ???

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2004, 05:10:01 PM »

YOU CAN'T MAKE A REMAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
David Aaronson
Bandido

Noodles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2004, 05:28:54 PM »

when is the last time oscar buzz meant crap... i'll tell you when, not in the last 50 years... way too many great acters never won one and way too many terrible ones did... not saying ferrel can't act because i don't really know... i stay away from the kind of movies he's in... but don't take oscar buzz or even academy awards as an argument... they mean nothing
Or great actors winning for the wrong performances (Pacino and Washington for instance)

« Last Edit: October 09, 2004, 05:29:18 PM by David Aaronson » Logged

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2004, 05:48:36 PM »

good point... same with wayne and nicholson(2 out of 3 anyway)

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
THE BIG MAN
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2004, 04:35:41 AM »

Pacino for Scent Of A Woman-when you could have had Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon and the Godfather films. I agree. It was a career award.

Washington. I assume you mean not winning for The Hurricane (brilliant)  However he lost to Spacey for American Beauty an equally brilliant but very different performance.  Sorry I would have found it very difficult to seperate them.  The year however he lost for Malcolm X was wrong-but it didnt help that his was a great performance in a mediocre film. Sorry I dont think that Malcolm X is one of Spike Lee's best films.

Regards Hurricane-In the end I think what swung it was the fact that American Beauty connected with an mainstream audience.  There was a backlash against The Hurricane after it was discovered that Carter the Washington character wasnt as squeaky clean as portrayed!  He had been convicted for three muggings prior to his murder trial.

When Washington won for Training Day I think it was deserved-his was the best performance of the year.

THE BIG MAN
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2004, 05:01:59 AM »

Its Farrell not Ferrell-just be carefull you dont end up going to see Anchorman!

So you stay clear of Farrell films-Oh Dear!  Then you wont be going to see Terence Malick's The New World or Oliver Stone's Alexander or Robert Towne's Ask The Dust or you didnt see Spielberg's Minority Report or his brilliant performaces in Tigerland and Phone Booth. What films do you see?  Phone Booth was a courageous choice considering actors like Jim Carrey, Will Smith and Mel Gibson all turned it down-maybe they were scared they would be unable to carry a film for two hours in a Phone Booth!

Sure Farrell has done some junk like SWAT, Daredevil and the Recruit (all No.I US Box Office) but only to get some sort of foothold in the film industry in order to work with better people-as mentioned earlier.

Sorry  Farrell is the young talented type of actor that Leone would have loved to work with if he had still been alive.

Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2004, 02:36:30 PM »

Are you Colin Farrell, Big Man?  Wink

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
THE BIG MAN
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2004, 03:57:48 PM »

Ha Ha-very good.

Like I would be surfing Sergio Leone when I could be on Sunset Boulevard-cruising for chicks!

David Aaronson
Bandido

Noodles

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2004, 08:51:22 AM »

The year however he lost for Malcolm X was wrong-but it didnt help that his was a great performance in a mediocre film. Sorry I dont think that Malcolm X is one of Spike Lee's best films.
Well I do. But that doesn't have anything to do with his performance. His performance is what should get an actor an oscar, not the whole movie entire, there are other awards for that.
There was a backlash against The Hurricane after it was discovered that Carter the Washington character wasnt as squeaky clean as portrayed!  He had been convicted for three muggings prior to his murder trial.
Again, that doesn't have much to do with his performance, now does it?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM