Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 11:38:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Brett McBain Smackdown
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Brett McBain Smackdown  (Read 108 times)
Usaviator
Road Apple

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2017, 05:02:01 AM »

I'm still learning quite a bit about this movie, especially the way sound was dubbed in.  On one hand, its nice because it gives you complete control over the sound environment, but on the other hand, it can make for a challenging task to make the sounds fit the experience. 

I have noticed a few over-the-top sound effects that just stand out to me and make me chuckle a bit.  IMO, most of the sound effects add a very convincing aspect to my viewing experience, for instance the opening scene with the squeaky windmill pump, the wind picking up and dying down as Frank and his men approach the McBain farm, and the ocean waves rolling as Morton stares longingly at his painting.  But there are a few here and there that seem abrupt and over the top.  Almost like the sound was amplified or exaggerated to the point of distortion.  Was this technique accidental or did SL just not care to refine some of these sound effects?  The first one I notice in particular was Brett McBain smacking his son Patrick after he comments about his long dead mother.  It's almost a little humorous to me.  Another was Timmy in the beginning going "bang bang bang bang. bang bang bang bang!"  Of course Frank smacking Harmonica was another one as well.  There may be a few more I'm missing. 

Most of the sounds tended to give the audience a realistic immersion into the environment, but some seemed to be so obviously dubbed and almost cheesy sounding effects.  Does anyone know if Leone had any comments on this, if they were humorous in his mind, or if there was any reason some of these effects were exaggerated so much?

~Ive been all over the entire universe to find you~
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM