Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 10:17:52 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  My 2000th IMDb rating: Garde à vue/Under Suspicion (1981)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My 2000th IMDb rating: Garde à vue/Under Suspicion (1981)  (Read 161 times)
morrison-dylan-fan
Bandido

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2017, 01:26:35 PM »

Watched on Moviedetective DVD:

http://www.moviedetective.net/product_p/gav.htm

“Not in the least suspicious.”

* This review may contain spoilers ***

Aware that I was getting close to giving my 2000th IMDb rating,I started planning on what the rated title would be.At first going for Henri-Georges Clouzot's La Vérité/The Truth,I was disappointed to find the official French DVD to have "broken English" Subtitles. When taking part recently in a poll for the best films of 1981, Garde a vue was at the very top of my "most wanted" list for the year. Telling a DVD seller this round the time I got the Clouzot,I was thrilled to hear that they had recently tracked down Garde,which has led to it getting my 2000th rating.

The plot:

Missing out on New Years Eve celebrations, Inspector Antoine Gallien and Inspector Marcel Belmont sit in an interrogation room interviewing attorney Emile Martinaud. With Martinaud (who was on his own each time) having reported to the police two young girls he found raped and murdered, Gallien and Belmont put Martinaud under as being the likely killer. Interviewing him for hours, Belmont and Gallien are unable to any substantial evidence from Martinaud,which leads to Gallien interviewing Martinaud's wife Chantal,and learning of the hidden corridors in Martinaud's life.

View on the film:

Making her penultimate film,Romy Schneider gives a haunting performance as Chantal which reflects the deep troubles Schneider was having in her life,from the interview Chantal has with Gallien being given a washed out mood by Schneider, in expressing the breakdown of the Martinaud's marriage. Left to do the typing in the interrogation, Guy Marchand gives a cracking performance as Belmont, whose frustrations Marchand makes crackle on screen,as Belmont sees the "murderer" in front of him,but unable to lay a finger on him.

Stamping round the interrogation room, Lino Ventura gives a magnificent performance as Gallien,who is given a calculating tact by Ventura,which shatters from Gallien's passion to bring justice to the murdered girls. Caught in the hard line the cops take, Michel Serrault digs Martinaud's heels in with an upper-crust self belief,which crumbles as the interrogation unveil the Neo-Noir loss at wits end behind Martinaud businessman façade.

Joined by his wife Annie playing a major role in the flashback scenes, co-writer/(with Jean Herman and Michel Audiard) director Claude Miller & cinematographer Bruno Nuytten sit in on the interrogation with a stylish,pristine appearance wiping any brightness away for dour,white and grey Noir colours. Keeping all the guys in one room, Miller fires up the claustrophobic anxiety with tightly coiled whip-pans across the confined location,which sweep into hard-nosed close-ups lingering on each vicious exchange.

Taking John Wainwright's book into the station,the writers superbly intercut flashbacks to the murder scenes and Martinaud's private life to emphasise the importance of what Gallien and Belmont attempt to uncover. Taking place against a "stage" setting, the writers keep the Neo- Noir atmosphere fresh with incredibly subtle changes in the dialogue,from everyone trying to get under the skin of each other,to Gallien, Martinaud and Belmont spitting out their frustrations,of all being under suspicion.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 04:53:49 PM »

I love that film.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
morrison-dylan-fan
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 06:27:28 PM »

It is awesome to hear from a fellow fan of the film Noodles! What did you think of the ending,and have you seen any of Miller's other movies?

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 06:41:23 PM »

This movie has been on my list forever. Thanks for the review. I think it would make a good double bill with The Offence (1973) and a triple bill with Detective Story (1951). The Offence is a great but hard to stomach movie, not an easy watch.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
morrison-dylan-fan
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 06:12:38 AM »

Thank you for the excellent recs Jess,with The Offence being one I'll try to pick up soon on the special Masters Of Cinema edition. With this being on your watchlist for so long,I'm pleased to say that the Moviedetective transfer is very good. In exchange of your recs,I think you would enjoy this as a 1981 French Noir double bill,with the Highsmith adaptation Eaux Profondes:

http://www.moviedetective.net/product_p/eax.htm

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM