Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 11:37:32 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Canadian Noir: Ivy League Killers (1959)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Canadian Noir: Ivy League Killers (1959)  (Read 68 times)
morrison-dylan-fan
Bandido

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2017, 06:19:17 PM »

DVD: https://www.amazon.com/IVY-LEAGUE-KILLERS-Sinister-Cinema/dp/B001LNOMM2

* This review may contain spoilers ***

Joining in the Canadian challenge on ICM,the first thing I went in search for was Film Noir from Canada. Finding a very limited number,I was intrigued to find one that crossed Noir and the juvenile delinquent (jd) genres,which led to me looking at the Ivy League tables.

The plot:

Whilst they annoy the cops by hanging round, Don and his fellow members of biker gang Black Diamonds do little more than drive on the empty roads and hang out. Bumping into the bikers with their cars,rival gang leader Andy starts revving up a rivalry. Aware of the cops keeping an eye on Don,Andy decides to do a heist dressed as Don's gang,with a goal to push the Black Diamonds off the track.

View on the film:

Rolling in on a swift 69 minutes,director William Davidson & cinematographer William H. Gimmi give the flick a very scrappy Drive-In appearance,via the Noir hangouts and bike chases taking place in dingy locations with rough camera moves. Backed by a stirring Noir score from John Bath,Davidson shifts the jd awkwardness into gear,with shots following each gang member carrying a feeling of no one really knowing their place. Done to give exhibitor Nat Taylor a quick box office hit,the screenplay by Norman Klenman follows the mood Davidson sets,via the sweet lovers on the lam romance between Don and Susan being hit by the Noir biker chains of Andy's thugs. Done decades before he set hearts bleeding in the folk Slasher movie My Bloody Valentine, Don Francks gives a brooding,slime ball performance as Andy,who runs down the Ivy League.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM