Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2022, 04:18:22 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  A Fistful of Dollars (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Old Mexican Proverb
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Old Mexican Proverb  ( 11236 )
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

« : January 20, 2004, 08:33:55 AM »

The madman Ramon quotes an old Mexican proverb, "A man with a rifle will always beat a man with a gun".

Since we have so many Leone scholars on this board, has anyone done any research to confirm whether or not this colorful proverb is truly part of Mexican folklore?  

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

« #1 : January 21, 2004, 08:10:28 AM »

The madman Ramon is being damned with silence.  Will no one step forward to defend him, or can we add lying to his long list of sins (murder, kidnapping, torture, aggravated assault, illegal liquor sales, impersonating an officer, adultery, theft, sodomy...)

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
KERMIT

« #2 : January 21, 2004, 12:52:51 PM »

whith a rifle in his hands, no one stands in ramone's way .

http://www.hgwt.com/hgwtact2.htm. was paladin was looking for estaban ?

« : January 22, 2004, 01:40:05 AM KERMIT »
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

« #3 : February 22, 2004, 10:38:46 AM »

The madman Ramon is being damned with silence.  Will no one step forward to defend him, or can we add lying to his long list of sins (murder, kidnapping, torture, aggravated assault, illegal liquor sales, impersonating an officer, adultery, theft, sodomy...)

sodomy?

It's class.
KERMIT

« #4 : February 23, 2004, 04:49:53 AM »

general sibley. sodomy ? indeed ? .....when ramone put his arm around esteban to assure him all is well,...i think...the less said the better.  ;D

in contrast the baxters seem ozzie and harriet, constantly victimized by the mad man ramone.
is estaban's sombrero somewhere on e-bey ?

« : February 23, 2004, 01:30:48 PM KERMIT »
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

« #5 : February 23, 2004, 11:29:12 AM »

Rum, Sodomy and the Lash

I believe Ramon was wearing a British naval officer's uniform when he massacred the troops on the river.  We won't discuss what Indio and the old carpenter were up to in prison either.

KERMIT

« #6 : February 23, 2004, 01:50:39 PM »

i would have to go with joe. " i'll just stick to my six gun".
he dosn't seem to agree with the madman ramone.

the rifle could be some sort of phalic symbol, at least in ramone's mind.

who's responsible  for these  old mexican proverbs ?  if you're gonna bushwhack ramone's way the proverb should be, when a man with a rifle meets  a man with a machine gun , the man with the machine gun will make hamburger.  
anybody figure out what type machine gun ramone was using.  ???

« : February 23, 2004, 01:59:10 PM KERMIT »
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

« #7 : May 11, 2005, 08:53:53 PM »

Okay Nobody, you started it with the Old Mexican Proverbs - "Don't cut your cactus in a neighbor's garden."  The filthy studios cut this precious bit of Manco's dialogue, but it should show up in the special boxed edition director's cut of FOD due out in 2008.

And more fruit from the tree of Mexican wisdom:

http://oneproverb.net/bwfolder/mexicanbw.html

Hello Gentlemen, I have returned - like Dave Kingman coming back to hit 500 homers, I had to take a few more swings from the heels and get to 400 posts.   My apologies, was doing mucho travel for work and on top of that some utter a**holes had invaded this site and made it quite the unpleasant neighborhood.  Thank you very much Christopher for stepping in and cleaning out the riffraff  ;D

Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

« #8 : May 12, 2005, 03:54:09 AM »

Did I start it with the old Mexican proverbs? When? Where?

Loved the proverb site, it has been bookmarked.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
Beebs

« #9 : June 05, 2005, 08:47:20 AM »

About the automatic massacre, the only other automatic "machine gun" type guns I've seen in Westerns would be the one in Rooster Cogburn(John Wayne) (on the raft) or the French gun in Two Mules for Sister Sara (Eastwood).
The one if Fistful looks a little too modern but I could be wrong.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #10 : June 09, 2005, 02:39:55 PM »

"Man who sit on jelly doughnut gets his ass in a jam."

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
HEX

« #11 : September 21, 2005, 06:10:29 PM »

ACTUALLY THE GATLING GUN RAMONE USES TO MOW DOWN MEXICAN SOLDIERS NEVER EXISTED. A PROP ONLY BASED FOR THE MOVIE django had a similar one. also a fake.

Harmonica
Bandido

« #12 : October 21, 2005, 10:17:22 PM »

About the automatic massacre, the only other automatic "machine gun" type guns I've seen in Westerns would be the one in Rooster Cogburn(John Wayne) (on the raft) or the French gun in Two Mules for Sister Sara (Eastwood).
The one if Fistful looks a little too modern but I could be wrong.

The barrel of Ramon's Super Bad Ass/Pepperbox Machine gun is based on the Martigny Mitrailleuse or Montgomery Mitraileuse.  The configuration of the barrels differed with numerous variations.  Some had as few as twenty five barrels and others had up to 40.  At first this gun was a "volley" gun, which in essence fired all of it's barrels at once, but around 1880 they started to manufacture them to fire sequentially with hand crank much like the Gatling.

"We all have to die.  It's just a question of when..."  -Hombre
Man with no dame

« #13 : May 24, 2007, 05:47:38 AM »

"Man who sit on jelly doughnut gets his ass in a jam."
   "Don't let the barrel hit you in the face, when you walk in the door!"  Is Mario Brega the first Jewish-Mexican bandit, or the first Rasta-cowboy? Could explain what really was in those barrels.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines