Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 10:16:10 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Nordic Noir: Jar City (2006)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nordic Noir: Jar City (2006)  (Read 98 times)
morrison-dylan-fan
Bandido

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2017, 06:37:33 PM »

Seen on DVD.

Spoilers

2012:

After seeing the pulp thrill ride adaptation of Jo Nesbo's Headhunters,I saw a BBC doc on Nordic Noir that showed intriguing clips of a non-Nesbo adaption. While not being able to find the film anywhere,I was able to open the descriptive,hard-boiled original novel by Arnaldur Indridason.

2017:

Coming up to 1,500 reviews,I began looking for films I've been wanting to see for years,and after again looking at Amazon UK,I finally got the chance to open the jar.

The plot:

Sent out to investigate the murder of Holberg Jónsson,worn-down detective Erlendur finds the killer to have left everything as it was. Emptying all the shelves and draws, Erlendur finds taped to the back of one a photo of a grave. Locating the grave, Erlendur begins to learn of a murder that took place thirty years ago,and the trio of friends Jónsson was with. As he starts investigating the links from decades ago, Erlendur starts mapping out the genetics which have laid in the dark heart of the town for decades.

View on the film:

Adapting Indriđason's novel two years before they would join up to make the slick (non-adaptation) Reykjavik-Rotterdam/Contraband, the screenplay by Baltasar Kormákur is incredibly compact,with Erlendur unearthing the origins of the photo in exciting investigation scenes,which also open the jar to Nordic Noir's major themes of corruption in the local community and government projects being linked to dirty deals. Unearthing the mystery at lightning speed, Kormákur makes the Noir mystery gripping hard-nosed,but also gives the title an air of needing an extra 30 mins,with the brittle,Noir loner relationship between Erlendur only being given a rough outline to what it could fully offer.

Sharply contrasting the smooth style they gave to Reykjavik- Rotterdam, Kormákur & cinematographer Bergsteinn Björgúlfsson give Erlendur's photos an ultra-stylised rawness that shoves dirt under Nordic Noir nails,via superb over-saturated colours covering the murder scenes in dour, grisly chemical yellows and blood reds,which are smashed against crane shots panning over the corruption which has covered the town. Cracking open jars to the town secrets, Ingvar Eggert Sigurđsson smokes Erlendur with a brilliant,grubby performance that rages from Erlendur giving all a stiff cold shoulder,who try to stop him opening the jar city.

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 11:24:59 AM »

I didn't even know there was a movie. I read a few of the books some years back. They're quite good.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM