Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 09:47:34 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Lost scene - script and pictures
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lost scene - script and pictures  (Read 987 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« on: August 23, 2017, 01:10:02 AM »

https://theeditroomfloor.blogspot.fr/2017/08/a-lost-scene-from-good-bad-and-ugly.html?m=1

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 05:29:16 AM »

Terrible scene, I'm glad it is not in the film. It would never, never ever be included in the Stanton cut (aka Italy's greatest cultural achievement)

I think it is just like the Rising scene in OUTW a "safety" scene. Shot to include in case audiences have trouble to follow the narrative.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 10:33:08 AM »

It's way worst than the rising scene: it's lame, redundant screenwriting.
It's fun to see how it foreshadows the added scene about the magic number toward the end. That scene makes a lot more sense to me now.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 11:21:32 AM »

I think Leone knew enough that such scene was not needed, audience was smart enough to get it.

Like how Leone focused on Al Mulloch's face at the beginning, so two hours later he didn't have to add to the bathtub scene "Remember when we surprised you while you were stuffing your face, and you killed my 2 partners and shot me, then escaped by jumping through the window pane?"   Etc.

As to the grotto scene: don't we all know from watching old films and TV that crooks can readily round up other crooks?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 11:48:11 AM »

So you're saying Leone would go with the Stanton Cut, aka the one the Pope watches every night? Do you mean Leone was a bigot?

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 07:52:28 PM »

the Stanton cut (aka Italy's greatest cultural achievement)
WTF? Now Stanton is both a genius AND Italian? Is there no one with an Uzi who will rid me of this scourge?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 08:03:21 PM »

I think it is just like the Rising scene in OUTW a "safety" scene. Shot to include in case audiences have trouble to follow the narrative.
We need to be able to refer to this scene by some pithy name. Anyone got a suggestion?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 12:04:54 AM »

"The Stanton Scene"

www.ThibautOskian.com
Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 08:03:49 PM »

The bragging picnic scene.  Grin

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 11:45:16 PM »

The Angel Eyes-Blondie Chit-Chat Scene

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 08:00:33 AM »

Terrible scene, I'm glad it is not in the film. It would never, never ever be included in the Stanton cut (aka Italy's greatest cultural achievement)

Yup - agreed.

We need to be able to refer to this scene by some pithy name. Anyone got a suggestion?

The Breaking Bread Scene

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 01:11:13 PM »

The Angel Eyes-Blondie Chit-Chat Scene

The Shit-Chat Scene

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 05:00:21 PM »

The only interesting thing in the scene is the very end, that Blondie has noticed that Angel Eyes's men have been following them - leads into the next scene, in the extended cut, in which they try to surprise him but he's not surprised.

More importantly: Before you criticize this seemingly unnecessary scene of dialogue, bear this in mind: In his BRD commentary,  by the scene where AE is discussing the cashbox with the half-soldier, Frayling mentions  that when filmed initially, that half-soldier scene had different dialogue than the one we hear about the cashbox. Frayling says that a different scene elsewhere in the movie explained the business with the cashbox. Later on, after filming, Leone & Co. decided to cut the latter scene,  but since that scene had necessary dialogue about the cashbox, during the dubbing they changed the dialogue in the half-soldier scene to be that  important dialogue about the cashbox

Now that we know the dialogue in this "lost" scene, we know that that was the scene Frayling was referring to. I do not know what the dialogue in the half-solider scene was initially -  perhaps a shooting script is available that could tell it to us but as initially filmed, the dialogue in the "lost scene" was indeed very important. Only after they moved the dialogue to the half-soldier scene did it become "redundant" in the lost scene.

What's the difference between having the dialogue in the half-soldier scene at the beginning of the movie versus having it in this "lost" scene toward the middle or end of the movie? As it is in the finished film, it is in the early half-soldier scene, so we know about the details about the cashbox early on; in the way the movie was made initially,  the viewer doesn't really fully understand the background of the cashbox and the ambush until much later in the movie.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 06:54:22 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 05:35:37 PM »

good point.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 06:36:27 PM »

Does Peter Hanley's book, which provides excerpts of the original Italian script, shed light on the original dialogue between AE and the half soldier?

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM