Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 06:49:22 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Watch in Leone 's movies
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Watch in Leone 's movies  (Read 4440 times)
John Baldwin
Gunslinger

Do you recognize this string ???

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2004, 11:11:13 AM »

Have you noticed that there is a lot of story about watches in his movies...
-OUATITA, how Max and Noodles meet
-FAFDM, with Mortimer, which his the symbol of the movie
-GBU, when Tuco shearchs on the privates what he can take, he takes a watch
-OUATITW; it's not exactly the same thing, but when Harmonica saves Franck, there is a thing with the clock. And I believe, but I'm not sure, that Morton has a watch
I don't remind for the others, or others stories about this movies...
If you have others things to say...let's go Grin Grin

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 02:04:08 PM »

i think in OUATITW your trying to talk about all the high noon references with clocks and such on buildings... it's definitly i big part of the final half hour.

your right though... a lot to do with time in general, watches and clocks and things of that nature.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 11:39:43 AM »

i think that the musical watch in FFDM is one of the greatest ideas leone has ever had... can you imagine what could have been this movie if leone would have had as experience as he had when he did OUATITW? 'could have been a real masterpiece!

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 11:40:58 AM »

telling the truth, i've done 2 short westerns, and i've used a musical watch every time (with of course the tune of ffdm).

www.ThibautOskian.com
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 01:01:43 PM »

I think the watch is a symbol of Leone obsession with TIME. The time that passes and never comes back. The past who leaves us (and Leone caracters) with scars. How many flashbacks can we find on Leone's movies (OUTW, DYS). Isn't OUTA an opium dream about time? Wich is the present time in this movie? The 60's? Leone plays whith this idea precisely.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 10:10:31 AM »

Resurrecting this old thread with a little observation I made the last time I watched OUATITW (with my sister, who didn't like it as much as me, but confirmed my observation as a sound one).

Jill is waiting on the station. She looks at the clock:

She seems puzled or worried by the time she sees on it, so she takes a look at her watch:

Obviously, she comes from the East. Smiley

(And not only that, we might actually also notice her ring... hm-hm. I didn't realise that before.)

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 01:27:44 PM »

(And not only that, we might actually also notice her ring... hm-hm. I didn't realise that before.)

It took me 5 years to read your post but each of those 2 revelations alone would have made my day!

www.ThibautOskian.com
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 07:40:52 PM »

Maybe because Leone plays around with time in his movies and is able to stretch it out and slow it down to give scenes more depth and meaning.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 10:39:22 PM »

Resurrecting this old thread with a little observation I made the last time I watched OUATITW (with my sister, who didn't like it as much as me, but confirmed my observation as a sound one).

Jill is waiting on the station. She looks at the clock:

She seems puzled or worried by the time she sees on it, so she takes a look at her watch:

I assumed the point of this to show passage of time.  The clock at the station says 7:55; the one in her hand says 10:10, so the point is to show that she has waited at the station for several hours and nobody shows up.

If you think it's to show she has come from a different time zone: the time zones in America are set apart by 1-hour intervals, so being from a different time zone wouldn't explain why one watch says 55 minutes after the hour while another is 10 minutes after the hour. I'm not certain about whether the time zones were the same during the time the movie is taking place (which can probably be a range of years (such as FOD and FAFDM), rather than a very specific time in history (such as GBU, DYS, and OUATIA).

I took a brief look on wikipedia for the history of time zones in America; it actually began with railroads http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_zone#Railroad_time

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:47:28 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Tex
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 10:57:18 AM »

Just an interesting side note, 10:10 is the standard for display for clock and watch makers. I've heard that this is because it appears the face of the watch is smiling  Smiley

The ring is a great observation! Looks like it wasn't much of a surprise after all, Mrs. McBane! Marmota was on to you and that crazy Irishman from the station!

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 02:23:21 PM »

To the extent it counts as a Leone film, A Genius, Two Partners and a Dupe has a running gag with Terence Hill and a pocket watch.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 03:49:40 PM »

This thread talks about motifs in OUATIA: mirrors, doors, and timepieces http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=6937.0

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 03:40:59 PM »

I assumed the point of this to show passage of time.  The clock at the station says 7:55; the one in her hand says 10:10, so the point is to show that she has waited at the station for several hours and nobody shows up.

I took a brief look on wikipedia for the history of time zones in America; it actually began with railroads http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_zone#Railroad_time

I actually assumed that, too - not sure which one of my assumptions came first... Now it's mixed up in my head, and maybe it can still be both. How long would have people waited in those times before assuming something was wrong, I wonder?

I think I learned all about the time and railroads when I did my research for my history paper on Grammar school. Though I'm not sure if it made its way into the final paper... there were so many topics I ran across, I remember I had a hard time actually starting to write.
(Seeing what my English was like back then... Embarrassed But then, had I not been bold enough to go out and use my imperfect English anyway, I would not have improved. Grin)

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 03:47:43 PM »

(Seeing what my English was like back then... Embarrassed But then, had I not been bold enough to go out and use my imperfect English anyway, I would not have improved. Grin)
So this board is good for something. And just look what it's done for titoli!

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 04:06:25 PM »

So this board is good for something. And just look what it's done for titoli!

It's rather the school; but this board, and others, made me use English outside of school without worrying too much about grammar and all that and rather worrying about what I wanted to say. Which in turn made me study English, I think... in a gross simplification.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM