Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 09:03:56 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Agora (2009)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Agora (2009)  (Read 124 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2017, 05:30:43 AM »

A great movie you probably never heard of. A historical drama set in Alexandria, 391 AD, Roman Egypt.  In 380 AD Emperor Theodosius I, made Nicene Christianity the state church of the Roman Empire with the Edict of Thessalonica in 380 AD.

The Library of Alexandria repository of the civilized world's knowledge. Hypatia teaches astronomy, mathematics, and philosophy. She was,the world’s leading mathematician and astronomer, at the time, the only woman for whom such claim can be made.

Her student Orestes is in love with her as is her slave Davus (both Christians BTW). As the city's Christians gain more and more power the old ways and institutions crumble. Twenty years later, Orestes is now the city's Roman prefect, he is having problems keeping Cyril and his followers, who are now zealously beginning to persecute both Jews and non believing pagans, in check. They storm the Library of Alexandria and burn the accumulated knowledge of the ages.

Hypatia has no interest in faith, she is dedicated to the pursuit of knowledge and trying to unlock the mysteries of the movement of the celestial bodies. For this she gets branded a witch and murdered.

(Hypatia was hunted down and kidnapped by a magistrate called Peter and his fellow Christians and taken to the church at Caesareum.  Brutally, she was stripped of her clothes and beaten with tiles or oyster shells, supposedly skinned alive with those very same oyster shells. Then, Hypatia was either ripped to shreds or dragged through the streets until she died.)

Don't worry, the film doesn't go The Passion of the Christ on this, though it probably should have.

Convert or be branded witches, the early Christians were like the Taliban taking over Afghanistan persecuting non believers and destroying antiquities.

No wonder we went through The Dark Ages, a refreshing counterpoint to all of Hollywood's sort of whitewashed ad nauseam Christocentric Roman Empire epics. Here is the other side of the story albeit it compresses roughly 100 years of religious turmoil into about 20.

A Spanish film (In English) directed by Alejandro Amenábar, Writers: Alejandro Amenábar, Mateo Gil, and Stars: Rachel Weisz, Max Minghella, Oscar Isaac. 9/10

http://www.ancient-o...-hypatia-002328

Available on Netflix.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 04:28:38 AM »

It was hard to miss when it hit theaters in France, Amenabar was the next big thing at the time so we had billboards all over the place. It critically and commercially bombed though. The trailer made the film look cheap and cheesy so I didn't bother at the time. You're the first guy I know of who liked it! You're also one of the rare ones who saw it.

Also, I didn't know that at the time but Oscar Isaac is a God.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 05:28:19 AM »

It was hard to miss when it hit theaters in France, Amenabar was the next big thing at the time so we had billboards all over the place. It critically and commercially bombed though. The trailer made the film look cheap and cheesy so I didn't bother at the time. You're the first guy I know of who liked it! You're also one of the rare ones who saw it.

Also, I didn't know that at the time but Oscar Isaac is a God.

The visuals were equal to Gladiator with a very different take, it's on Netflix here, is it on Netflix in France?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 12:49:54 PM »

I just checked, no it isn't Sad

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM