Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 12:29:11 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Scandal Sheet (1952)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scandal Sheet (1952)  (Read 414 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2012, 03:49:59 PM »

Director: Phil Karlson, Writers: Ted Sherdeman (screenplay), Eugene Ling (screenplay), and Sam Fuller, starring  John Derek, Donna Reed, Rosemary DeCamp Harry Morgan and Broderick Crawford.

Mark Chapman/George Grant (Crawford) is a savy Scandal Newspaper Editor that thrives on sensationalism. At a Lonely Hearts Ball sponsored by the paper, he meets the wife he had abandoned years ago (Rosemary DeCamp), while using another name. She confronts him at the ball and he agrees to go to her low rent apartment which has windows abutting the 3rd  Avenue El to settle accounts. He offers her money but threatens to expose him as a wife-deserter, wife-beater and an impostor, and, in anger, he hits her with his fist and accidentally kills her. He strips her and arranges the body so that it appears that she slipped and hit her head in the shower. Later, when her body is found, he assigns his protégé reporter (Derek) to the story.

Derek

Crawford

DeCamp

Julie Allison (Donna Reed) plays the "moral conscience" columnist on the paper, and  Henry O'Neill plays Charlie Barnes a rummy ex reporter who breaks the case but is also murdered before he can get his evidence to Allison. Morgan plays a news photographer.

Tension builds as Derek slowly tracks down the killer.

A good little crime drama that Sam Fuller who was an ex-newspaperman must have had quite a bit of input. DeCamp in her brief appearance is great 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 10:27:54 PM »

saw on TCM. I give it a 7/10

at the ending, when Broderick Crawford can't bring himself pull the trigger, and he says, "We're just too close, kid," you could say that is inspired by Double Indemnity, and/or Little Caesar.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 10:29:49 PM »

Eddie Muller's intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qemRYomI6EI&feature=youtu.be

Eddie Muller's afterword: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD83Np4sk88&feature=youtu.be

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 05:47:42 AM »

Always a pleasure. Thanks!

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 08:29:44 AM »

Scandal Sheet is a movie I really liked. Broderick Crawford had a good role here.

D & D, thanks for the upload. Always appreciated.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM