Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 07:34:40 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Real-life Nordic Noir: Out of Thin Air (2017)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Real-life Nordic Noir: Out of Thin Air (2017)  (Read 76 times)
morrison-dylan-fan
Bandido

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2017, 02:31:12 PM »

Streamed.

Details on the case:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geirfinnur_case

"Once the confession is taken-once it's in the air,it corrupts everything."

** This review may contain spoilers ***

A fan of the Nordic-Noir genre,I caught up with the superb Nordic- Noir inspired Spanish mini-series I Know Who You Are just before it left the catch-up service. Watching the last ep,I got "recommended" a "Ripped from the headlines" doc about a murder case in Iceland,which led to me breaking the ice.

The outline of the doc:

In January 1974 Guğmundur Einarsson disappears,with the police not being able to find any clue over where he might be. Later,on the 19th of November 1974 Geirfinnur Einarsson disappears under similar circumstances. Known for being "Bad lads" the police arrest "Gang leader Sævar Ciesielski,his four friends,and Ciesielski's girlfriend Erla Bolladottir. Feeling the anger from the public over Iceland's loss of "innocence", the police put pressure on Erla Bolladottir to give them the confession they want.

View on the film:

Going from 1974 to the present day, director Dylan Howitt blends archive footage with tasteful re-constructions. Making the voice- overs reading the diary entries of the six suspects the main focus, Howitt brings the fading days of Iceland's innocence back in drab 70's colours,with a careful obscuring of the actors faces helping to place the viewer in the shoes of the speaking suspect. Deconstructing the case with interviews from Erla Bolladottir,still serving police officers and extracts from the diaries of the other five suspects, the "open" state of the case leads to the conclusion becoming blurred with the horrific "interrogation" methods the police used criss-crossing with the failed attempts to appeal the convictions,as the ice fails to break.

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 05:18:37 PM »

I'll definitively check this out. I've been to Iceland twice, it's such a beautiful and fascinating country. It has a murder rate that is basically zero, so learning something about this case is actually quite shocking.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM