Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 08:33:58 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Ivy (1947)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ivy (1947)  (Read 161 times)
Spikeopath
« on: October 18, 2017, 02:14:29 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039504/reference

Evil influences are gathering.

Ivy is directed by Sam Wood and adapted to screenplay by Charles Bennett from the novel The Story of Ivy written by Marie Belloc Lowndes. It stars Joan Fontaine, Patric Knowles, Herbert Marshall, Richard Ney, Cedric Hardwicke and Lucile Watson. Music is by Daniele Amfitheatrof and cinematography by Russell Metty.

Ivy Lexton (Fontaine) has a hunger to be wealthy, and setting her sights on well-to-do Miles Rushworth ( Marshall), Ivy plots a fiendish plan that spells trouble for her husband Jervis (Ney) and her lover Roger (Knowles).

Well worth discovering, Ivy showcases the dark side of Fontaine's acting prowess for great entertainment rewards. The beautiful Madame Fontaine actually disowned the movie, and this after she stepped in to the role of Ivy Lexton after her sister Olivia de Havilland turned it down. Her lack of affection for the picture goes some way to explaining why it has remained largely forgotten, which is a shame because it's a high end gaslight noir propelled by a femme fatale of some considerable substance.

The budget was high, and it shows, in the cast list, the costuming and the stunning turn of the century production design by William Cameron Menzies. Metty's low-key photography cloaks the Edwardian settings with atmospheric snugness, while Amfitheatrof underscores the drama with music that is appropriately tinged with chills. Thematically the piece is focusing on obsessions, by way of man's ignorant lust and woman's pursuit of wealth above all else. All characters are defined not by fate here, but by their actions, making for a hornet's nest of murder and adultery.

1947 was a stellar year for film noir, with big hitting movies like Out of the Past, Nightmare Alley, Kiss of Death, Odd Man Out and Brighton Rock further cementing the growing popularity of noir as a style of film making. As is often the case with the great noir years from the classic cycle, there's still little gems hidden away waiting to be brought out into the open, Ivy is one such film. Fontaine and the sumptuous noir visual style ensure this to be the case. 8/10

DVD - Copy.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 03:13:59 PM »

Never seen this one.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 03:52:16 PM »

It's been a while since I saw this one, but I liked it a decent bit. It's got some great visuals and pretty suspenseful parts. And I remember actually enjoying Fontaine, which is rare, she doesn't do a lot for me normally, but she's damn good in this movie. I didn't know the part was offered first to Olivia, maybe it gave Joan some extra incentive to really give it her all (and then disown it, to spite Olivia some more, hah)?

I should give it a rewatch.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
kjrwe
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 11:09:38 PM »

A few years ago, I checked out a number of films which Joan Fontaine did and I seem to recall being a bit disappointed with this one. I think that Letter From an Unknown Woman is her masterpiece. Still, I might have been in the wrong mood that day and maybe I need to check out this film again. I do love Joan Fontaine. She was great in a couple of Hitchcock films, too.

Spikeopath
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 11:08:39 AM »

Fontaine, which is rare, she doesn't do a lot for me normally

I have killed people for this crime before...  Evil

Spikeopath
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 11:13:16 AM »

I think that Letter From an Unknown Woman is her masterpiece.

An outstanding film and she's outstanding in it.

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 04:29:21 AM »

I have killed people for this crime before...  Evil

Bring it, tuffguy.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 06:14:30 AM »

DVD - Copy.

where did you get this DVD from?

This movie has never been released on DVD; it is a public-domain movie. There's version on YouTube that is so awful it's unwatchable. I see that on eBay, several people are selling DVD's they made - but who knows how good the quality is: here https://goo.gl/gQA7WF and here https://goo.gl/iTpp2q

I see that it is also available as a download from Amazon for 99 cents to rent or $2.99 to buy (a dirt cheap price presumably because it's public domain) https://goo.gl/NiWM9i

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Spikeopath
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 01:19:42 AM »

where did you get this DVD from?

This movie has never been released on DVD; it is a public-domain movie. There's version on YouTube that is so awful it's unwatchable. I see that on eBay, several people are selling DVD's they made - but who knows how good the quality is: here https://goo.gl/gQA7WF and here https://goo.gl/iTpp2q

I see that it is also available as a download from Amazon for 99 cents to rent or $2.99 to buy (a dirt cheap price presumably because it's public domain) https://goo.gl/NiWM9i

DVD - COPY means it's a copy put onto a DVD, otherwise I would just say DVD! Actually, print is fine, so I would think it's come off of a TV showing may years ago.

Spikeopath
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 02:11:19 AM »

A few years ago, I checked out a number of films which Joan Fontaine did and I seem to recall being a bit disappointed with this one.

God damn you Lilith  Tongue

kjrwe
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 12:04:22 AM »

God damn you Lilith  Tongue

I still want to know who it was that called me Lilith in the first place....

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM