Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2018, 01:47:23 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Phantom Thread (2017)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2] 3 4
: Phantom Thread (2017)  ( 2346 )
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #15 : December 29, 2017, 08:21:27 AM »

Huh. Better than The Master? A tall order, but welcome if true.
nah. I think the master is the best movie made since I was conceived in late Ď91. But maybe you will like this more. Or at least more so than Inherent Vice which I donít blame anyone for hating

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #16 : December 29, 2017, 10:51:25 AM »

Only n_l doesnít hate  the guy like the rest of you fools

I have nothing against PTA.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #17 : December 29, 2017, 11:31:10 AM »

In what way excruciating? explain to a non fanboy?  ^-^

OK I will discuss the plot; needless to say, if spoilers bother you, don't read this thread.

This movie is basically the same shit for 2 hours. Day-Lewis is the designer. His whole life is based on designing dresses for women. Then he meets this woman and brings her into his life; she loves him and and he spends the whole movie being irritated by everything she does. That's all. He's working on designs while she's buttering the toast, so he complains that she is too loud. She walks into his room while he's working to bring him the tea, and he complains that she interrupts. He is more respectful to his ever-present assistant than to this supposed girlfriend. Occasionally there are moments of warmth, but mostly just coldness. It doesn't take too long for me to start tearing my hair out and saying WHY THE FUCK DON'T YOU JUST WALK OUT OF THE HOUSE ALREADY? Bear in mind that we never even see them touch each other. They sleep in separate rooms, we never see them touch each other. WHAT THE FUCK IS SHE DOING STAYING IN THAT HOUSE. I start to wonder whether he is even straight.

Eventually - and now I am REALLY spoiling the plot, so stop reading if you care - she gets so desperate that she poisons him with mushrooms, just so that he'd be sick and needy. And it works. He falls ill, he needs her, he then for the first time falls in love, they get married, we see some affection and mild physical contact for the first time. Doesn't take long for him to start getting irritated again ... and I won't mention here what happens the last few minutes. The ending is somewhat clever. Gave me one chuckle at the end of two excruciating hours. If you enjoy basically two hours of seeing a man acting coldly and bitching at a woman, while she suffers, go ahead and watch this movie. Make love to it.

I give this a 2/10, only because it is the holiday season and I am feeling generous.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #18 : December 29, 2017, 01:21:43 PM »

Those are all pretty fair points, it is often difficult to see why Alma even has an attraction to Woodcock. I think he has a lot of charm and a lot of love to give but just doesnít know is to do it. But I never see him as a truly malicious character, instead a childish one. Maybe Alma isnít the most stable person? We donít know as much about her past as we do about Woodcockís. Itís a movie about a relationship between two very imperfect people, and maybe sometimes they hate each other, but I think thereís a love in there too, one thatís hard to define.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19 : December 29, 2017, 02:49:32 PM »

And donít forget Iím the only PTA fanboy here, and Iíve alrwady seen it and thought it was great . Only n_l doesnít hate  the guy like the rest of you fools
Boogie Nights is one of my favorite movies and I don't dislike any of his movies, but I definitely would like the 90s Scorsese + Altman influenced PTA to come back instead of the Max Ophuls + Joseph Losey inspired guy of the 10s.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #20 : December 29, 2017, 05:42:18 PM »

If you enjoy basically two hours of seeing a man acting coldly and bitching at a woman, while she suffers, go ahead and watch this movie. Make love to it.
Now I can't wait to see it! Thanks, Drink.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #21 : December 30, 2017, 03:48:52 AM »

idiot. Is it because there was some comedy?

And donít forget Iím the only PTA fanboy here, and Iíve alrwady seen it and thought it was great . Only n_l doesnít hate  the guy like the rest of you fools

drinkanddestroy doesn't like comedy, that's what he's talking about?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #22 : December 30, 2017, 03:51:02 PM »

drinkanddestroy doesn't like comedy, that's what he's talking about?

No CJ, RRPower was making a joke. Thereís no comedy in this movie.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #23 : December 30, 2017, 03:54:06 PM »

Those are all pretty fair points, it is often difficult to see why Alma even has an attraction to Woodcock. I think he has a lot of charm and a lot of love to give but just doesnít know is to do it. But I never see him as a truly malicious character, instead a childish one. Maybe Alma isnít the most stable person? We donít know as much about her past as we do about Woodcockís. Itís a movie about a relationship between two very imperfect people, and maybe sometimes they hate each other, but I think thereís a love in there too, one thatís hard to define.

I donít think he is an evil man. Just an extremely selfish man who gets irritated at just about anything.

She is probably attracted to his fame, or his art, whatever.

These are two people I so donít care about. When the ending happens, which I wonít discuss, I just so donít give a shit because I donít give a damn about these people. I was just happy this movie was over.

« : December 31, 2017, 03:17:14 PM drinkanddestroy »

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #24 : December 31, 2017, 02:25:22 PM »

No CJ, RRPower was making a joke. Thereís no comedy in this movie.
It was darkly funny, for sure. The screening I was at had the audience laughing quite a bit. Many reviews point out its humor. I would not say it's as funny as The Master, but there is definitely intended humor in there.

These are two people I so donít care about. When the ending happens, which I wonít discuss, I just so donít give a shot because I donít give a damn about these people. I was just happy this movie was over.
I mean, fair enough, if that's how you feel. I cared very much about these characters ...particularly Alma. Maybe others will too, maybe not

Boogie Nights is one of my favorite movies and I don't dislike any of his movies, but I definitely would like the 90s Scorsese + Altman influenced PTA to come back instead of the Max Ophuls + Joseph Losey inspired guy of the 10s.
That could be nice. That's what I thought Inherent Vice would be. But, I like the direction he's going... maybe it'd be disappointing to see him go back to the more fun but less interesting style. While there is Ophuls inspiration, especially in Phantom Thread, I feel that his post-Magnolia movies establish him more as an auteur with a specific-feeling though hard-to-define style,  rather than a Scorsese/Altman copycat.

« : December 31, 2017, 02:27:49 PM PowerRR »
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #25 : January 02, 2018, 01:27:04 PM »

That could be nice. That's what I thought Inherent Vice would be. But, I like the direction he's going... maybe it'd be disappointing to see him go back to the more fun but less interesting style. While there is Ophuls inspiration, especially in Phantom Thread, I feel that his post-Magnolia movies establish him more as an auteur with a specific-feeling though hard-to-define style,  rather than a Scorsese/Altman copycat.
I think copycat is way too harsh of a word. I can't really argue against something like The Master being his most original movie, but I'd take the pure entertainment value, humor, fun, etc of Boogie Nights over anything he's done.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #26 : January 06, 2018, 11:25:32 AM »

I haven't read any of the above posts yet for fear of spoilers, but the AFI Silver near me is screening the 70mm blow-up version so I will definitely make the effort to go see it. I'm really looking forward to the cinematography - I've heard it is quite "Carol"-esque in that regard. Hopefully, unlike "Carol" what I'll appreciate won't just be the cinematography however.

« : January 06, 2018, 11:26:52 AM Novecento »
Moorman

« #27 : January 07, 2018, 08:16:02 AM »

I had skipped over this thread ever since it was started, because, for some reason, i thought this phantom thread was about that OTHER phantom, lmao:

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #28 : January 13, 2018, 05:48:54 AM »

Judging by what the critical reception has been, it seems great photography and acting counts for just about everything (besides the plot) in the eyes of critics. Regarding some earlier comments here:

... very much just based in one house.

And there I have to give Pablo LarraŪn the edge for "Jackie" in another "White" House. "Phantom Thread" had some nice camerawork, but not close to being on a par with "Jackie"

DDL is great, Vicky Krieps outdoes him.

I don't think she outdoes him (this is DDL after all), but she does put in a great perfomance. However aren't you forgetting Leslie Manville (the sister)? I don't usually pay that much attention to acting, but all three of them really carried this picture.

TONS and TONS of Greenwood's score...

Yes it was nice, although it sometimes felt more like background music than something intertwined with the imagery.

Beautifully shot with an uncredited cinematographer.

As in PTA? I saw the 70mm blowup version and it was really nice to see proper grain on proper film.

The ending is somewhat clever.

Yes it was and felt rewarding after watching the whole thing.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #29 : January 13, 2018, 06:10:11 AM »

... it seems great photography...

I saw the 70mm blowup version and it was really nice to see proper grain on proper film.

I should probably add to this point that while "Phantom Thread" was nice in this regard, I preferred Lachman's work on "Carol" for a similar period piece even though I did not have the opportunity to watch that on actual film.

« : January 13, 2018, 06:11:21 AM Novecento »
: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines