Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2018, 01:52:37 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Phantom Thread (2017)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 [3] 4 5
: Phantom Thread (2017)  ( 3868 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #30 : January 13, 2018, 11:46:04 AM »

screening the 70mm blow-up version
I may be seeing this tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #31 : January 13, 2018, 04:03:32 PM »

So Novocento, what do you think of the movie?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #32 : January 13, 2018, 08:59:51 PM »

I liked it and enjoyed the 70mm experience but have no particular desire to see it again. I certainly did find myself getting a little restless at points so do sympathize with your position to a limited degree. As I said before, Day-Lewis is probably the only living actor whose presence would make me want to watch something regardless of anything else. The plot actually seemed quite Tornatore-esque to me even down to the humor, so in my very biased way, I feel I would have liked it more had he been at the helm since it would have tugged at my emotions a little more. I was surprised there was not more emphasis on the idea of messages being sewn into the seams of the garments.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #33 : January 15, 2018, 07:03:16 AM »

I saw it again, this time blown up to 70mm. Looks gorgeous.

Unlike most PTA movies, I don't think my opinion changed on a repeat viewing. I think this is a solid 8/10 and certainly better than his weaker half of works (Hard Eight, Inherent Vice, Junun). It has it's flaws and could benefit by being a bit shorter, maybe a bit more generically 'romantic' at times, with a bit more exploration into the past of the two main characters (Woodcock & his mother, Alma at all). Needless to say I see myself watching this many times.

I think it's more technical merits are really where it shines. The camerawork and on-screen movement feels controlled in a good way, the music and its use is gorgeous (The OST is out now!), the photography is unique and beautiful. A+ acting all around.

One of the better movies all year, and somewhere in the lower middle of PTA's filmography IMO.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #34 : January 16, 2018, 08:52:53 PM »

Did they give you a program with some images and credits at the end to go with the screening?

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #35 : January 18, 2018, 01:35:11 PM »

Wan it seems pretty cool but haven’t had much a chance to look at it yet. I will tonight or tomorrow

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #36 : January 18, 2018, 09:07:39 PM »

Wan it seems pretty cool but haven’t had much a chance to look at it yet. I will tonight or tomorrow

Personally I would have preferred a set of lobby cards with a traditional title card to put me more into the traditional screening frame of mind...

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #37 : January 24, 2018, 03:28:02 PM »

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/01/phantom-thread-live-orchestra-score-screenings-brooklyn-bam-los-angeles-ace-hotel-1201920670/

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #38 : January 24, 2018, 08:47:27 PM »

Ok - so this was a decent movie which I enjoyed especially in 70mm. I certainly did not hate it like DJ and Drink did, however I clearly did not love it as much as RR Power did.

I also get it that it might have been DDL's last ever performance and that he did perform with his usual brilliance. However, all these overly laudatory reviews are starting to rub me the wrong way. Are they all just reading each others' opinions on line and then being afraid to be the one to be critical? Well, it probably isn't the first time, and in this day and age it won't be the last :(

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #39 : February 28, 2018, 11:41:24 AM »

I saw an advanced screening. It was of course excellent. Compared to the rest of PTA's filmography, it's a minor work in scope ... very much just based in one house. It's much lighter in tone than the trailer suggests, and with many Hitchcock-esque moments. DDL is great, Vicky Krieps outdoes him. It's a slow start but the movie turns quite fun in a weird way, and like The Master, lots going on thematically. TONS and TONS of Greenwood's score which is his best yet. It feels like a fully scored silent film at times. Beautifully shot with an uncredited cinematographer. I will be buying the 4K UHD blu and watching it many many times... no question.

THAT WAS AWESOME!

A great and inspiring story about love and hard work. You're 100%: the real star here isn't DDL, it's Vicky Fucking Krieps (and actually most of the numerous women in the film). It features 2 kisses that are in my top 10 movie kisses of all time. I wasn't bored for a second except for the last half and hour, and just as I thought PTA had lost me he totally won me over.

I'm surprised RR says it feels like a fully scored silent movie as well as I'm surprised everybody talks about how the films looks: yes, it looks gorgeous, but that's a given now for post any There Will Be Blood PTA film. The real surprise is how terrific it sounds and the extent sound is used as the main storytelling tool here.

8-8.5/10, it could reach 9/10 with repeated viewings.

www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #40 : March 01, 2018, 08:32:59 AM »

THAT WAS AWESOME!

A great and inspiring story about love and hard work. You're 100%: the real star here isn't DDL, it's Vicky Fucking Krieps (and actually most of the numerous women in the film). It features 2 kisses that are in my top 10 movie kisses of all time. I wasn't bored for a second except for the last half and hour, and just as I thought PTA had lost me he totally won me over.

I'm surprised RR says it feels like a fully scored silent movie as well as I'm surprised everybody talks about how the films looks: yes, it looks gorgeous, but that's a given now for post any There Will Be Blood PTA film. The real surprise is how terrific it sounds and the extent sound is used as the main storytelling tool here.

8-8.5/10, it could reach 9/10 with repeated viewings.
goooood, goooood, verrry gooood!

Blu Ray comes out April 10th....im excited to watch it endlessly for the rest of of my life

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #41 : March 01, 2018, 11:07:33 AM »

Those are all pretty fair points, it is often difficult to see why Alma even has an attraction to Woodcock. I think he has a lot of charm and a lot of love to give but just doesn’t know is to do it. But I never see him as a truly malicious character, instead a childish one. Maybe Alma isn’t the most stable person? We don’t know as much about her past as we do about Woodcock’s. It’s a movie about a relationship between two very imperfect people, and maybe sometimes they hate each other, but I think there’s a love in there too, one that’s hard to define.

Spoilers all over the place, obviously:

It's a film about true love. Gone Girl in 1950's London. Of course they're 2 nevrotic characters, but then again, who isn't?

Also, for those who didn't get the movie, in the end she makes it very clear that she loves most of his sides, even the ones you or I think aren't likeable. She doesn't only love the tender and weak Woodcock, she also loves the strong and weird but fully dedicated to his work Woodcock. I don't see what's difficult to grasp or even judge about it.

"I want you flat on your back. Helpless, tender, open with only me to help. And then I want you strong again. You're not going to die. You might wish you're going to die, but you're not going to. You need to settle down a little."

They're perfect for each other.

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #42 : March 01, 2018, 02:33:36 PM »

shit shit shit

fanboys fanboys fanboys

force yourself to like an excruciating piece of crap  ;D

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #43 : March 01, 2018, 02:35:49 PM »

They're perfect for each other.
Then let's leave them alone together and not mix in.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #44 : March 01, 2018, 04:46:36 PM »

shit shit shit

fanboys fanboys fanboys

force yourself to like an excruciating piece of crap  ;D

I really expected the film to be boring, especially given the lack of enthusiasm of the PTA lovers. It wasn't at all. I even found it pretty easy to watch, which isn't something I expect from a PTA film these days. I mean I totally get how some (terrible) people can find The Master, Inherent Vice or There Will Be Blood "excruciating", but Phantom Thread? What kind of shit do you find entertaining?

Then let's leave them alone together and not mix in.

Needless to say, I totally disagree with that on every level but:  ;D ;D

www.ThibautOskian.com
: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines