Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 02:14:54 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Faccia a faccia aka Face to Face (1967)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Faccia a faccia aka Face to Face (1967)  (Read 45273 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2006, 05:18:09 PM »

derringdo, that's the best summation of the film I've ever read. You should post that to the IMDb!

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2006, 05:43:23 PM »

Its not as good as some say Poggle so I guess its going to depend on each individual and their personal criteria, and though I respect and agree with dd (derringdo) with almost all opinions this one I don't (LVC's Beyond The Law is another disagreement I can think of Grin)

My biggest problems with FTF are the miscasting of Milian as Beauregard Bennet, he doesn't look like a Beauregard or a Bennet, he's dressed in buckskins and his hair is long & straight, Native American or Mexican yea, he looks more like a Cuchillo in this flick than in TBG & RMR. Volonte and Berger though kick ass, some of the other characters, of which there are way too many, though are not as finely honed

I also don't see the need for the whole sub plot concerning the faux plantation set somewhere in the west, that set just clashes with the whole "setting" of the film, its way out of place, imo. Its like Sollima tried to do too much.

The Robbers Roost, Hole In The Wall, was done well, the only marr there was the "snuffy smith" hillbilly hat that the character Rusty wore.

Finally the "run" across the desert dunes was a bit over the top, it reminded me of the 50 women dash across the desert in Blindman.

This film could have used a bit more editing.

Now TBG is on the other hand much tighter, its not all over the place its pretty much a chase, cat & mouse film. The main disappointment I had when first saw it as a kid was I couldn't believe LVC could be fooled by Cuchillo. Now of course I was expecting Mortimer, but now I realise Corbet is a different character a methodical lawman but also a more human and trusting person.

In the TBG restoration he actually has a scene where he shows genuine regret when he finds out he killed the wrong man who was dressed as Cuchillo, That little sequence changes profoundly the up to then Great Lawman Corbet, and I think its an importanat plot point, that may go un-noticed. After that he's not as quick to just gun Cuchillo down.  Unfortunately this sequence was trimmed from the English cut but it is in Italian with English subtitles.

The fake snake bite sequence was just just a new take on that old AW cliche, and it didn't bother me at all

But now I also realise that this is Tomas Milian's film, Lee Van Cleef is the star but Sollima's intention was to make Millian the first peon SW protagonist, so the way he was used is understandable.

As far as being in awe, your not going to get anybody quite on par with Leone. The films that come closest are TBG, DRAH, The Mercenary, Companero's, and Run Man Run.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 05:45:40 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2006, 07:42:16 PM »

As far as being in awe, your not going to get anybody quite on par with Leone. The films that come closest are TBG, DRAH, The Mercenary, Companero's, and Run Man Run.

*Walks up to your list, SW style, and crosses out TBG*

TBG, DRAH, The Mercenary, Companero's, and Run Man Run

The Big Gundown my ass!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2006, 10:09:34 PM »

lol, well we'll see what you think of FTF.

Oh I shouls add "A Bullet for the General" to that list.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2006, 06:04:53 AM »

My biggest problems with FTF are the miscasting of Milian as Beauregard Bennet, he doesn't look like a Beauregard or a Bennet, he's dressed in buckskins and his hair is long & straight, Native American or Mexican yea, he looks more like a Cuchillo in this flick than in TBG & RMR.
I agree that Milian's image may not quite fit the part but personally i don't see this to be to the detriment of the film and i think it would be very difficult to deny the strength of his performance which i feel is equal to Volonte's,one of his best in fact.The way he handles the transformation of the vicious  and ruthless bandit to a man with a conscience is just brilliant.
I'm with you all the way with The Big Gundown though.Overated? possibly but with LVC,Milian,Morricone,great storyline and direction,excellent cinematography, its place in anyones top ten sw's is justified.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 06:08:01 AM by banjo » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2006, 09:33:39 PM »

And btw, Joe, I think you're being very slightly unfair to Corbett.  The whole point of the sequence in Colorado is that he's willing to play fair with his quarry...by his definition of fair.  He spares the one guy who surrenders, and only guns him down when the kid doublecrosses him, and he seems bummed out about having killed "Cuchillo" even when he thinks it's Cuchillo (which is consistent with his later claim to have suspected there was more to the mystery all along: Cuchillo was either a prime suspect or a witness being framed, either way, a detective interested in the case would want to go after him).  The wrong man angle may churn up some additional guilt, doubt and caution, but I see it as adding to what is already there.

dd, I agree with everything you're saying, how was I unfair to Corbet? I think what the wrong man episode shows is maybe Cuchillo's slipperyness, tricks and compounding mockery of Corbet got to him (Corbert) and it may have caused him to act out of character gunning down the lookalike peon, shooting first and asking questions later so to speak.

But Ol' Gulick hanging in the tree isn't exactly being easy on his (albeit dead) quarry, we assume Corbet killed him one way or another & then went to all the trouble of hanging a dead man up in a tree. He could have easily hid him behind a rock or a log.

As to RMR, I suppose I should refine my statement of RMR being closest to Leone, a bit,  it's a fun film, with some great cinematography, at the beginning of the comedy phase of SW's, no heavy "Zapata" politics, more like Zapata Lite, not the later stupid slapstick parodys but closest to Leone I think in the use of humor.
It reminded me of both GBU and some of the comedy AW's in that respect, the cattiness between Linda Veras and Chelo Alonzo and their later hair pulling contest and Cuchillos smug protestations were quite amusing to this member of male gender.  Cool

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2006, 07:37:09 AM »

Or, if that seems a little too devious for straight-line-mind Corbett, I suppose he could've just been trying to keep scavengers from getting to the corpse before he could turn it in for the bounty.

I like your way of thinking, lol. I guess by that logic he would have had to really decorate that tree and string up the rest of them and bring back an extra horse or two to carry them all out.  Grin

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2006, 07:18:38 PM »

Colorado to Texas an awful long way to go with corpses. I also don't think one horse could sustain the weight of four dead bodies for very long.  Cool

Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2006, 01:18:19 PM »

Just saw Face to Face.

I enjoyed it, especially Sollima's style this time around, though the Japanese DVD is very odd. Sometimes the subtitles could have two sentences and they're up just long enough to read the first one and they're off in a second. I had to keep rewinding to see what they said Grin

Because of that I kind of got confused in some areas. I think the film moves very fast, and although I think the two hour running time was perfect, I found some of it hard to understand with all of the name throwing and ideas thrown around, because by the next scene you have to catch up with everything. By a second viewing I'll understand the characters more, but I did enjoy it Cool

I actually thought it was closer to Leone's style than TBG. The characters and the plot seemed more sophisticated than most SW's.

Bennet's introduction was one of the greatest I've seen in any non-Leone SW.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 01:25:36 PM by Poggle » Logged
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2006, 03:26:00 AM »

I actually thought it was closer to Leone's style than TBG. The characters and the plot seemed more sophisticated than most SW's.
Too talky for a Leone western-i'm amazed at the amount of stick Big Gundown gets when there are dozens of real overated stinkers(e.g. Blindman) and for my money i'd say it's various elements make it  very close in style and  quality to the Dollars trilogy.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 03:28:09 AM by banjo » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2006, 05:30:08 AM »

In Face To Face, Sollima was trying to do way too much, its like he tried to condence the whole history of the western badman into one film. Its like he combined the stories of the Jesse James Gang and the Wild Bunch into one film, too many characters, too many short short sub plots, yea and too talky. If it had just stayed more on the Fletcher-Benett transposition added more Berger and way less "hole in the wall" bandit hideaway subplots, and condenced the dialog a bit with less expositions and used more music and facial expresions to show the emotions, maybe more it would be more like Leone.

Run Man Run is more like it, more visual more Leone like humor.

Blindman is just inspired lunacy you check your rationality out when you stick in the disc.  Grin

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2006, 05:49:50 AM »

Blindman is just inspired lunacy you check your rationality out when you stick in the disc. 
Monty Python is my idea of inspired lunacy!!
My Blindman DVD is only the cut version but even the 50 scantily clad beauties aren't enough to save this film from a total yawn.This SW parody doesn't work for me-gimme the Trinity films anyday!- and i've been put off getting any further movies starring Tony Anthony considering this is meant to be his best.Sorry but i don't see the humour in a bumbling & mumbling masochistic blind man continuously getting the ****** kicked out of him and the fact he keeps on prevailing is just too prepostorous and unrealistic even for me-and the whole film just drags!!
Another SW i keep hearing people having their arms twisted to buy is Day Of Anger.For me this film just lacks any atmosphere  which i guess maybe down to firstly the budget because apart from LVC,Gemma and the bad guys theres no-one else around in this ghost town,and secondly that dreary slow repetative guitar lick being played over and over and i hate the other more jazz-tinged accompaniment-why oh why did Valerii reuse this dull score in Massacre at Fort Holman?
The storyline and action pieces are ok but the only reason this gets repeated viewings is LVC who holds the whole film together.Its a great shame that Valerii didn't do a Corbucci and allow LVC to gundown Gemma in the ending which instead has Gemma and some misfit walking off hand in hand like some gay couple.
Big Gundown gets a regular screening in my household,the missus loves the Cuchillo character in both this and Run Man Run but for some reason i'm always sitting by myself for Face To Face.Maybe us guys are better with the more thought provoking stuff!!!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2006, 06:53:45 AM »

I agree on Day Of Anger the best part in the film is the Bowie sequence.

I feel just the opposite on Trinity, slapstick humor  Tongue. lol.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2006, 05:51:17 PM »

dd you do have a thing about TBG, lol.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2006, 07:28:59 AM »

Day of Anger is OK, not nearly as bad you two are making out.  At least the action scenes don't suck like TBG's do.   Tongue

Personally (excepting GBU and FAFDM) the last 20 minutes or so of Big Gundown from the point where Brokston & Co ride out to pursue Cuchillo is as good as these sw's get especially the Morricone aided chase through the cornfields and theres nothing in Day Of Anger to match the class of the final two duels.
Apart from this my other favourites include the stunning duel with LVC and the 3 bank robbers-again virtually unrivalled for an opeing scene(in DOA doesn't it start with Gemma shovelling shit or something?) and the whole episode with the widow(Nieves Navarro is great and i also love her in Return of Ringo)is brilliant.
It  seems unjustly fashionable to slag off Big Gundown but i'm sure this still features in the majority of members favourites.Maybe we should do a Big Gundown versus Day Of Anger poll?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM