Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 02:18:16 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Faccia a faccia aka Face to Face (1967)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Faccia a faccia aka Face to Face (1967)  (Read 44473 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2004, 05:46:19 AM »

I have just watched a  DVD of Sergio Sollima's Face to Face I'll give you a more detailed report in another post.

First impressions... A beautiful transfer, Gian Maria Volonte (Prof Brad Fletcher) just great, this is the film where he shows the best range of his acting abilities, turning from a mild mannered eastern professor into a outlaw mastermind. He is very reminicent of Indio, a very sane and intelligent Indio. Tomas Milian plays an ex-confereate half breed Beauregard Bennet who led a group of confederate raiders called "Benett's Raiders"

I'll watch it again later today and get back to you.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 09:15:14 AM »

sounds interesting... i can't get enough of gian maria volonte... i'll have to take a look... right now i even have the ramon rojo look going on... facial hair wise.... the man is great.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 05:52:41 AM »

Ok more detail on Face To Face:

This was a Japanese DVD, the english soundtrack has a few noticeable defects especially in the very beginning before the main titles. During the classroom sequence the audio is muffeled, after that you don't really notice the other spots when they do infrequently occur.  Volonte's dubber however is not the same as the voice of Indio in FAFDM. Milian I think since he grew up in Miami after leaving Cuba does his own dubbing at any rate the voice for him is the same for all of Sollima's films.
The video however is a beatiful transfer.

Sollima with "The Big Gundown" is still the closest film to Leone's style of the other SW directors. "Face to Face" is a departure, it is more celeberal, more serious, more long dialogue driven, not many one liners and no humor.

Leone was more about adventure "Face To Face"  is considered one of the political westerns, it has a moral tale to tell.

Half Mexican-ex Southern Confederate Raider now outlaw leader Beau Bennet (Milian) escapes capture with the unwitting assitance of Proffessor Brad Fletcher(Volonte')(who has left his position to recuperate from tuberculosis. Beau during his escape also uses Brad as a hostage. Beau is shot during this escape and "civilized" Brad nuses him back to health.

Hot on Brad's trail is a Pinkerton Detective, Charlie Siringo (William Berger), who is pretending to be an outlaw wanting and succeding in joining up with Bennet's old raiders.

Sollima like Leone uses the American West, while Leone used the old photographs and imagined his adventures, Sollima uses the old true western stories and weaves them into a plot. You can recognize elements of the James Gang, the Northfield Minnesota raid, the Wild Bunch, the Hole in the Wall/Robbers Roost hideouts, vigilanties, corrupt local town boses, etc. etc.

Again Volonte' transforms from a timid professor to a violent criminal mastermind, while Bennett becomes more human as each influences the other.  Berger does a good job as the undercover Pinkerton man Siringo, and is almost the third lead.

The tipped off bank job is a very well done set piece. The location shots are beautiful.
The film has a Morricone Score and Carlo Simi sets and costumes. Sollima's favortie western film. Not quite Leone but accetable.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2004, 05:53:51 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
HEX
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 11:26:09 PM »

i here the FACE TO FACE jap dvd has a terrible english audio track. is that true? could some one elaborate more on this if it is true?
normally i wouldnt care but if i am going to shell out 50 bucks for a damn dvd with no extras i want to get my moneys worth.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 02:14:12 AM »

Hex,unfortunately the pre-opening credits sequence is so distorted,muffled AND inaudible you have to use the English subtitles.However this only continues for a couple of lines of dialogue after the credits and the audio is fine up until the last 20 minutes or so but here the slightly distorted dialogue and (great) music are nowhere near as bad,quite bearable in fact,and no subtitles are needed.If you already have a vhs copy i suggest you keeo hold of it,just for the opening classroom sequence.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 05:55:48 AM »

Just found this surfing Italian Web pages, here is an image of the real Charlie Angelo Siringo and the site it came from.

http://www.scudit.net/mdwesternsiringo.htm

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 08:18:21 AM »

Sounds interesting, will have to check that out.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 08:44:31 AM »

Face to Face is essential, Leone Admirer, even with the flaws on the Japanese DVD.Are you any closer to getting the Mercenary?

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 09:17:04 AM »

I watched "Face To Face" in Italian w/ English subs...where Volonte's real voice is present...as he spoke Italian...while Milian, watching his lip movements , spoke English while filming...& is dubbed by someone else..it's clearly not his voice, & is just a little too deep a voice for him...but it was passable.
It looks like it was filmed w/ sound, rather than adding it all afterward.
This movie got an audible "Wow" from me as it faded out...& I would consider it to be not only a top non-Leone SW (The top, actually)...but stands on its own as a Western, period.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 10:41:28 AM »

Face to Face is essential, Leone Admirer, even with the flaws on the Japanese DVD.Are you any closer to getting the Mercenary?

It's on my wish list at the moment. I hope to have it very soon  Smiley

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Craig
Road Apple

People scare better when they're dying.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2006, 11:31:21 PM »

I just purchased "Face to Face" on DVD from this website: http://www.otevideo.com./Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=WES0042&Category_Code=

I'm hoping that it's decent quality, I can't wait to watch it--it sounds really cool.

Anyone have any experience with this retailer?

Did you bring a horse for me? Well... looks like we're...*snickers*..looks like we're shy one horse. You brought two too many.
mezcal
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 06:10:42 AM »

is the above ote listing the only non-japanese version available as i'm also interested in picking this up
thank

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 06:22:49 AM »

is the above ote listing the only non-japanese version available as i'm also interested in picking this up
thank

------->
http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=2328

-------->
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=IMBS-1148

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 02:59:54 PM »

I'm going to order this DVD soon. If this is as good as people say, maybe I'll forgive Sollima for his contrived, pretentious Big Gundown Tongue Man, I hated that movie!

When the OTE DVD comes in, give a review of the quality, etc.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 03:07:54 PM by Poggle » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 10:33:39 PM »

I'm glad someone else on this board is not in awe of TBG. I think it begins well, but after they get to Mexico the film is a bust.

Poggle, Face to Face is better, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM