Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 04:49:16 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rogue Cop (1954)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rogue Cop (1954)  (Read 115 times)
Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2017, 05:30:41 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047424/reference

Little men begging for a break.

Rogue Cop is directed by Roy Rowland and adapted to screenplay by Sydney Boehm from the novel written by William P. McGivern. It stars Robert Taylor, Janet Leigh, George Raft, Steve Forrest and Anne Francis. Music is by Jeff Alexander and cinematography by John F. Seitz.

Christopher Kelvaney (Taylor) is a cop on the take from the mob that's fronted by Dan Beaumont (Raft). When his brother and fellow cop, Eddie (Forrest), is requested to withdraw testimony about a crook covered by Beaumont, Chris is compromised and danger lurks for all involved.

A face wrinkled like Venetian blinds.

Out of MGM, Rogue Cop is a better than average venture into film noir territories. Characters are standard fare for such plottings, but the moral quagmire at Kelvaney's core lifts things considerably. Helps also that Kelvaney is a cop with a quip, the script affording the character some hard boiled edges. With Seitz on photography duties, Rowland is able to fill out the pic with usual noir trappings, where shadows and dim lights exude a doom ambiance.

Stoolies Incorporated.

Scenes are staged in noir funky locations such as a penny arcade (scene of the vicious crime that kicks everything off), a race track and of course shimmering streets, the latter of which plays host to the gun laden finale. Colourful characters such as Francis' (excellent) lush moll and Olive Carey's wise old news stand operator (info for sale) add some side-bar female essence to the moody tale. The ending could have been bolder as per outcome, but it sits OK, and since the story has its share of emotional wallops for some of the players, it ultimately ends up as a comfortable recommendation to noir fans. 7/10

DVD-Copy

Out you get Hooky, you done your bit.
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 09:32:47 AM »

I'm a fan of this movie. Taylor and Leigh have great chemistry.
I have a copy too which is none too good. I don't think it's ever come out on DVD unfortunately.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 11:15:59 AM »

I'm a fan of this movie. Taylor and Leigh have great chemistry.
I have a copy too which is none too good. I don't think it's ever come out on DVD unfortunately.

Have to say my copy is very decent, a couple of minor jumps but the print was better than average. Glad yer a fan. I never mentioned Leigh, she's ok in it, not a well written part, I definitely think Francis stole the lady honours from her in this one. You a Taylor fan? I may have asked before, forgive me if I have, middle aged brain and all that  Cool

You ok with the ending?

« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 11:36:29 AM by Spikeopath » Logged

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 03:33:56 PM »

I like Robert Taylor. By the mid-fifties he had thankfully shed his "powder puff" image and had come a long way from the cute and bland pretty boy roles of his earlier films. IMO Taylor was best and most believable when he played hard-edged, rugged and tough roles instead of the heroic types as in Ivanhoe where he was rather stiff and uninteresting. He was also good in Ambush and Westward the Women.

I have to rewatch, the ending is a bit fuzzy in my memory, but I remember it is very abrupt. This seemed to have happened quite often in older films, it's a bit annoying.

Jessica Rabbit
Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 05:31:40 AM »

I have to rewatch, the ending is a bit fuzzy in my memory, but I remember it is very abrupt. This seemed to have happened quite often in older films, it's a bit annoying.

Taylor is wounded after the shoot out and is in the ambulance on way to hospital - chatting away. We know he's going to trial for his errors, but I think since the good people around him have been killed due to his crooked ways he himself should have perished - in true noir fashion - at the outcome. MGM cop out finale.

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 08:23:20 AM »

Now I remember. It was a cop-out ending, but MGM never could bring itself to go slumming. Shame.

Jessica Rabbit
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM