Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2018, 06:49:16 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Make Way for Tommorrow (1937)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Make Way for Tommorrow (1937)  ( 247 )
Moorman

« : November 30, 2017, 07:23:30 PM »

This was a beautiful film.  A MASTERPIECE.  I came across it over at Criterion.  This was a very powerful and introspective film.  I believe its a must see.  Like the reviews say, this is REALLY a quite masterpiece.  Orson Wells loved it. I did some research on this and found out that it was very possible that Paramount refused to promote this film due to the tone of the story and the director's refusal to change the ending.  I'm not gonna give any spoilers because its a very simple story, but very powerful.

Cinematography 1.5 points.  The Criterion restoration is good, but there is some graininess here and there. Some streaking, but still, a wonderful restoration.

Musical Score 1.5 points.  The score was pretty good. Every piece FIT perfectly what was going on at the time.  The style fit the time period of the movie quite well.

Acting 2 points.  The lead characters, Beulah Bondi and Victor Moore were both EXCELLENT.  I read that their performances were soo good, that the film crew were actually touched during the filming of the movie.

Directing- 2 points. Leo McCarey created a masterpiece.  This is not about fancy camerawork or cinematography. This is about a director who just created a beautiful, simple film and refused to change any of it to make it commercially appealing.  He got fired after this film and later, during the same year, won the best directing Oscar for The Awful Truth film.

Plot- 2 points.  A very simple, powerful plot.

Overall- 9 out of 10 and a must have for your DVD or Blu Ray collection... O0

« : November 30, 2017, 08:28:05 PM Moorman »
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1 : November 30, 2017, 08:23:53 PM »

Never heard of it.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Moorman

« #2 : November 30, 2017, 08:51:38 PM »

Never heard of it.

Thats another thing that is so great about this movie.  It is NOT a commercial film. Like i said, Paramount didn't even promote the film.  Its one of those films that you either dislike or like.  Its a blunt movie that doesn't try and make you like it.  I think its one of the greatest films to ever come out of Hollywood...

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

« #3 : December 01, 2017, 07:24:22 AM »

It is a great film and you need a whole box of Kleenex at the end. The ending of the film is like a punch in the gut. It's a difficult film to watch, I haven't rewatched it in a couple of years.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
Moorman

« #4 : December 01, 2017, 07:48:58 PM »

It is a great film and you need a whole box of Kleenex at the end. The ending of the film is like a punch in the gut. It's a difficult film to watch, I haven't rewatched it in a couple of years.

Exactly.  Its a very sad film to watch. Its a great film to watch.  Criterion has it in their catalogue.  I'm glad you like the movie...

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines