Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2018, 09:07:31 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Bandido! (1956)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Bandido! (1956)  ( 470 )
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« : February 06, 2018, 09:25:39 PM »

An American arms dealer, Wilson (Robert Mitchum), journeys south of the border during the Mexican Revolution and immediately sparks trouble when he provokes federal troops. His actions impress the revolutionaries, whom he joins forces with, and Wilson convinces his new allies to go after a rival arms dealer named Kennedy (Zachary Scott). When Wilson falls for Kennedy's wife, Lisa (Ursula Thiess), and the revolutionaries eventually turn on him, the gunrunner finds himself in the line of fire.

I first saw this year's ago and thought it was passable, but it stuck around in my head, which most mediocre movies don't do. On an additional view, this is really an interesting and entertaining movie. It feels more modern than a lot of westerns of its time, or more 60's than 50's. It was beautifully directed by Richard Fleischer, who is one of my favorite directors when it comes to efficient long takes. He was among the very best, and his style was never showy while being impressive at the same time.

The locations in this movie are phenomenal, and while you can nitpick (or have legitimate gripes with) the plot at a few points, this is something I'd like to own on bluray and something I'll revisit.

This would make for a good double bill with Run for the Sun of the same year. That's another really fun adventure with fantastic locations.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #1 : February 07, 2018, 02:15:10 AM »

Could be the very first film depicting that wonderful Western All'Italiana combination "Gringo/Latino/Machine Gun", which
made for great scenes in MERCENARIO, QUIEN SABE?, GIU LA TESTA ...
Good film. Mitchum in Mexico is great, also highly recommended: THE WONDERFUL COUNTRY !

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #2 : February 07, 2018, 04:30:01 AM »

I agree with mike, and yes, the film feels often like made 10 years later. And that is quite rare for a 50s film, especially for a 50s western.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #3 : February 07, 2018, 08:53:07 AM »

Hmm - I've never seen this one. It sounds like something I should check out. Thanks for posting.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines