Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 01:47:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  DVD Wooden Box Set w/ Harmonica
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DVD Wooden Box Set w/ Harmonica  (Read 11712 times)
conradv
Chicken Thief

I Love Claudia

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2004, 10:45:37 AM »

There's a really nice release of Sergio Leone's ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST over in Austria (R2). The (wood box) set contains the DVD, a CD (OST) and a harmonica.

The set wass limited to 20,000 pcs. and sold out. (release date was last year).

Question: Is there going to be a region 1 release of this box set as well?

Sentenza
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 09:00:41 AM »

There's two kinds of limited editions in the world my friend... Wink

The Box has been reissued. I've seen it at a local shop and at Amazon Germany:
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AQKE1/

They sell it for €32.99 (approximately £32 or US$43). Judging from the complaints about the "limited" character of this item (see the Amazon feedback section) it seems that at least another run of 20.000 was made.

Apparently the first 20.000 sold quick enough to tempt MGM(?) to do another 20.000. I can see the people in the marketing department at MGM right now: "Five for you, ...one, two, three, four, five for me, ...five for you, and... five for me." Grin

edit:
If you look closely at the details on the amazon page you'll notice something else: the included cd is NOT the complete OST it's just an ep with four tracks! Quite a rip off if you ask me, unless those 4 tracks are unreleased material, which I highly doubt.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 01:11:37 PM by Sentenza » Logged

We kill him now, papa?!
David Aaronson
Bandido

Noodles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 06:33:25 AM »

Spiel mir das lied vom tod? Sorry, can't enjoy this box whatsoever due to crappy tranlation...

Fat Moe: What have you been doing all these years?
Noodles: I've been going to bed early.
Sentenza
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 08:03:10 AM »

Spiel mir das lied vom tod? Sorry, can't enjoy this box whatsoever due to crappy tranlation...
Well, that's the German title of the movie. And as the box set was produced for the German market what do you expect? Neither better nor worse than "Giù la testa" being translated as "Fistful of Dynamite".

But I can see your point, and that's basically the reason why I bought the uk dvd instead of the German one. Wink

« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 01:12:36 PM by Sentenza » Logged

We kill him now, papa?!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 10:17:22 AM »

In German the title means "Play me the Song of Death".  Last week I showed a training video I had made to a visitng vP from Germany, and during the section where I had some of the music, I mentioned "Spiel mir das Lied..." and he finished aloud "von Tod", so obviously he was well-versed in Leone and Morricone.

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 10:34:01 AM »

so, does anyone know if that was the original german titre, theres gotta be one german on this site, lol.  Huh

cos if 'play me the song of death' was the title then serious questions have to be asked of our european cousins, tho they did manage to fit the name of Django into Keoma's title, lol!!!, and their most famous band is rammstein.  Grin

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
Sentenza
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 11:30:59 AM »

Yes, "Spiel mir das Lied vom Tod" is the orginal German title.

BTW, "Todesmelodie" which translates as Death Melody is the German title for "Giù la testa". They probably tried to link it with OUTITW, who knows.

And yes, there's at least one German here Wink, but I'm pretty sure there are more.

Oh, and don't get me started on Rammstein! Luckily, from what I've heard, they're more popular in the US than here. Tongue They can keep them, we don't want them back. Grin

« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 01:13:16 PM by Sentenza » Logged

We kill him now, papa?!
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 12:19:42 PM »

"Spiel mir das Lied von Tod" is actually a pretty cool title IMO, it falls trippingly off the tongue and a rough translation would be "Play the Song of Death for Me".  Remind you of "Play Misty for Me"? - wonder where director Clint got the idea for that title.

Much better title than "Zwei Glorreiche Halunken" - try and repeat that 3 times real fast.  That's what GBU was called in German, "Two Magnificent Tramps"  Undecided   Uh, hello - what about Mr. Angel Eyes?  I'm sure they trying to ride on the Magnificent Seven train, but they missed it.

I don't know why the German distributors didn't go ahead and use, "Das Gute das Böse und das Häßliche" like they did in other countries.  Serves 'em right, GBU bombed in Germany but made big money everywhere else in Europe.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
conradv
Chicken Thief

I Love Claudia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 12:43:39 PM »

...Remind you of "Play Misty for Me"?

AAAAAHHHH!!!!!!

Hadn't thought of Play Misty For Me in a few years - that woman freaks me out every time I see it.

Sentenza
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 12:51:17 PM »

Much better title than "Zwei Glorreiche Halunken" - try and repeat that 3 times real fast.  That's what GBU was called in German, "Two Magnificent Tramps"  Undecided   Uh, hello - what about Mr. Angel Eyes?  I'm sure they trying to ride on the Magnificent Seven train, but they missed it.

I don't know why the German distributors didn't go ahead and use, "Das Gute das Böse und das Häßliche" like they did in other countries.  Serves 'em right, GBU bombed in Germany but made big money everywhere else in Europe.

Don't know how they came up with "Zwei glorreiche Halunken" either, but I read somewhere on this board (?) that "Two Magnificent Tramps" was Leone's working title for the film. So it might've originated from there.

I can't comment on whether GBU bombed when it was shown in cinemas over here, that was before my time. Did it really bomb here?
The correct translation would've been "Der Gute, der Böse, der Hässliche" (note that there's no and in the original Italian title).  Either way, I don't know if it's language specific, but that title sounds completely silly in German. "Zwei glorreiche Halunken" sounds better to German ears, but maybe I'm just used to it.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 01:14:23 PM by Sentenza » Logged

We kill him now, papa?!
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 01:15:51 PM »

Verdammt, mein Deutsch ist nicht der Beste.  I knew you'd nail me on the der die das.

A while back someone mentioned that OATITW was a huge hit in Germany.  I had a cousin from Germany who visited me in the '80s and all he would talk about was OUTITW - "Ach Mensch, ist Toll!"  He'd of fit right in on this board.  I'd never heard of it, but I told him - dude, GBU is the greatest western ever made!  But GBU was a flop in Germany, he'd never heard of it.   This was before VCR's, so discussion ended there.

"Zwei Glorreiche Halunken" ain't exactly Schiller to my ears, and "Der Gute, der Böse, der Hässliche" sounds pretty bumpy too.  

BUT, bottom line the movie's are cool in any language  Cool

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
Sentenza
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 01:28:44 PM »

Personally, I prefer GBU, too. Grin But you're absolutely right, OUATITW was incredibly successful, over here!

Oh, and your German is pretty good for a foreigner. From what I know, it's not that easy to learn, depending on your linguistic background. You should hear my French, c'est terrible Wink, which is a total shame. Undecided

We kill him now, papa?!
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2004, 01:32:48 PM »

Landsmann, nach ein paar Bier ist die Sprache viel einfacher.  Glad you found this board, stick around.  Good to get an international perspective - we've got plenty of Frenchman to assist with your grammar.

John Baldwin
Gunslinger

Do you recognize this string ???

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2004, 02:00:17 PM »

Yeah, exactly, and you don't commit mistake: "cest terrible" is good...So: "alle ist gut". My German is horrible; very horrible. And now, I just study English (who says "I don't believe you"Huh?? Who??? LOL)

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
John Baldwin
Gunslinger

Do you recognize this string ???

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2004, 02:01:15 PM »

Ho...wonderful box of OUATITW!!!

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM