Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 06:27:09 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  DVD Wooden Box Set w/ Harmonica
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DVD Wooden Box Set w/ Harmonica  (Read 11720 times)
conradv
Chicken Thief

I Love Claudia

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2004, 02:19:31 PM »

I wonder if the included harmonica sounds similar to the movie harmonica....

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2004, 04:01:42 PM »

Yes, "Spiel mir das Lied vom Tod" is the orginal German title.

BTW, "Todesmelodie" which translates as Death Melody is the German title for "Giù la testa". They probably tried to link it with OUTITW, who knows.

And yes, there's at least one German here Wink, but I'm pretty sure there are more.

Oh, and don't get me started on Rammstein! Luckily, from what I've heard, they're more popular in the US than here. Tongue They can keep them, we don't want them back. Grin

lol, yeah its probably better to stay off rammstein - glad 2 have german representatives, its good to have an international perspective for such internationally-loved films cos it tends to just be us poms and yankees that dominate proceedings. Oh, and lets not forget our French Connection, John Baldwin etc.  Grin Grin

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2004, 01:21:58 AM »

Yes, "Spiel mir das Lied vom Tod" is the orginal German title.

BTW, "Todesmelodie" which translates as Death Melody is the German title for "Giù la testa". They probably tried to link it with OUTITW, who knows.

And yes, there's at least one German here Wink, but I'm pretty sure there are more.

In that case, is there a German language track for the movie, and if so how does it compare with the English dialog? I keep noticing how the French track on OUATITW turns the film into a very different viewing experience. Different voices speaking different words produces different characters. I'd appreciate any observations along these lines by anyone who would care to comment on the German, French or Italian soundtracks.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2004, 05:02:15 AM »

In that case, is there a German language track for the movie, and if so how does it compare with the English dialog? I keep noticing how the French track on OUATITW turns the film into a very different viewing experience. Different voices speaking different words produces different characters. I'd appreciate any observations along these lines by anyone who would care to comment on the German, French or Italian soundtracks.

You know Dave that kind of what I always thought that the different dubs would produce silghtly different versions. That's kind of why I suspect "Johnny Guitar" seams to be  looked upon differently in Italia than here in the US. Its a "B" western with Joan Crawford and Mecedes Cambridge hilariously fighting each other.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Sentenza
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2004, 06:21:00 PM »

Ok, let me first apologize to everybody as I've been quite busy lately. So, please, excuse my late reply.

Yes, there does indeed exist a German language track for the movie. Foreign movies have always been dubbed in Germany. I know from personal experience that it's also custom Spain and probably a number of other countries in Europe (France?). You sometimes need a bit of luck to find a movie theatre in Germany that shows a movie in its original language, in most of the cases that would be English. In the Netherlands on the other hand it's the other way round, they mostly show movies or foreign tv productions in their original language with Dutch subtitles. Living near the Dutch border gets you the advantage of being able to enjoy non-dubbed versions of film or tv.

But back to our original topic. If I remember correctly there exist at least two german dubs for FOD and FAFDM. One that was done back when the movie was shown in the theatres and a later one, I think done sometime in the 80es. The German dubs vary from hilariously silly and/or funny (often contrary to the orignal character of the movie) to serious and good, sometimes even excellent.

As dave jenkins and cigar joe already pointed out, the nature of a language dub can turn a movie into an almost totally different viewing experience. Examples can be found in FOD, where they let Eastwood call his mule Alfons in one of the versions (I think the 1980es one), I'm not kidding you. One of the worse examples might be Vamos a matar Compañeros. I watched it about a year and a half ago and sometimes the dialogue or 'spoken thoughts' by Thomas Milian got pretty annoying. I'll have to rewatch it in English sometime.

That being said, the dubbing of movies in Germany has become pretty good having quite a long tradition. One of the German dubs I'm absolutely fond of is that of Giù la testa. I think they really nailed the voice of Juan Miranda's character. Yes, the voice is different from Rod Steiger's real voice, but in a way that fits the character, in this case a Mexican peasant. I was really excited to find it included on the recently released dvd next to the original dub, of course.

With regard to GBU I can't really comment right now, I'd need to rewatch it first. There should exist at least two different dubs as well, as the german TV station Pro7 restored the movie to its original length (only omitting the cave scene, I think) a couple of years ago. That's right, we've had the extended version for quite a while over here.  Grin I'll have to rewatch it sometime in both languages to make an authoritative comparison.

Moviegoers in Germany can become quite attached to a certain dub. When the special edition dvd of OUATIA was released with a new dub, a lot of people were disappointed not to get the dub they had become accustomed to and were downright angry. Just read a few of the comments on Amazon's feedback page for the German dvd to see what I'm talking about.
BTW, actors usually tend to get the same German voice, if possible, to establish a recognizable personality for the public. Moreso when they start to become successful. I recently stumbled across quite an interesting online interview with Klaus Kinder, the German voice of Clint Eastwood. In it he revealed that Eastwood asks for copies of his movies dubbed in other languages to check his foreign 'personality' so to speak and see how he is represented onscreen in non-English speaking countries.

We kill him now, papa?!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2004, 03:48:06 AM »

i went in germany last year... i saw that box... Sad Sad Sad
the problem i think is that "spiel mir das lied vom tod" is written on the harmonica...
but i WANT this box  Undecided

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2004, 08:05:59 AM »

Why couldn''t they release the OUATITW special box in other European countries as well?

The special DVD box set is like OUATITW "Special extended edition".I''d so much like to have it!  Tongue

Sensei
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2004, 12:29:21 PM »

I just fricking hate small pictures, and I bet you do too! So, I took some pictures of my copy for you:

Front

Back

Inside

Inside

Harmonica. It reads "Spiel mir das Lied vom Tod" on both sides, but has the copyright notice only on one of them.

I haven’t watched the DVD but the content seems to be the same as on the english special edition. The soundtrack only has four tracks which can also be found on the 2004 release of the soundtrack.

The tracks are:
I. Once Upon A Time In The West (03:41)
II. Farewell To Cheyenne (02:36)
III. Man With A Harmonica (03:27)
IV. Jill’s America (2:45)

If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?
Tuco
Sentenza
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2005, 11:26:52 AM »

Nice pictures, Sensei. BTW, the letter B in front of the number of your box indicates a second edition. There were numbers with and without the letter in front of it.

And some other tidbit of useless trivia we all love: according to rumors originally there was also going to be a wooden box for the GBU SE in Germany. Supposedly it was going to look like this:

But that never happened and they just used the design as a basis for the regular German dvd cover.

We kill him now, papa?!
Sensei
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2005, 08:43:17 AM »

Yea, I figured it had to be #27 873 and not #07 873K (if they made 2 x 20K series as you mentioned.) I got it not long ago as well, so it can''t be that old. That GBU box sure looks sweet. With the english title and not "Zwei glorreiche Halunken" printed on it one would believe it was intended for release in uk/us as well. Good thing I''m still young...  Grin

Tuco
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2005, 01:54:14 PM »

Sensei,what does it read on the right ,under "diese limiterte Special collector''s edition enhält"?What does the Special edition include?

And what is "Jill''s America"?Is it some kind of a variation of the main OUATITW theme?

Sensei
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2005, 04:04:21 PM »

Well, I''m not german but I can give it a try. It says it includes:
  • 2 DVDs in a digipack with lots of extra features
  • Extensive booklet
  • Exclusive "Play me the sound of death"-harmonica in a leather pouch
  • Audio CD with the famous title music from the original soundtrack by Ennio Morricone

I''d really recommend buying the full soundtrack instead of just getting this box with the 4 track CD. You can find a 30 sec clip of Jill''s America here.

Tuco
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2005, 08:29:57 AM »

Thanks,Sensei.By the way,the link didn''t work.It said "You don''t have permission to access /audio/onceuponatimeinthewest_11.mp3 on this server".

Sensei
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2005, 02:42:03 PM »

Try opening the link in a blank browser window or go here and download it.

Tuco
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2010, 03:10:35 PM »

Aside from the fancy box, harmonica and OST, is the feature film identical to the that released in the USA?

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM