Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 01:57:52 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Vamos a matar, compaņeros aka Companeros (1970)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vamos a matar, compaņeros aka Companeros (1970)  (Read 38385 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2004, 05:22:44 AM »

I have it too, maybe you have some butcherd version but I don't think the Palance part is that important or crucial to the plot, he certainly doesn't have as much weight as Angel Eyes does to GBU, he doesn't appear until about the halfway point and you could have had done the story without him.  As far as screen time Milian and Nero dominate.

Palance kind of serves as a goofy unknown quality but you never get the feeling of deliberate and diabolical evil that you get from Angel Eyes.  General Mongo and Xantos and the chica have as much or more screen time "Two kinds of..."

He does play an important part in the final shootout but by then his bird is gone  Grin

I think its a little misleading to others to simply say:

I have it!  And I repeat, it is all about Palance and his bird!

This on a side note illustrates a difference between Leone and Corbucci. Leone wove an intrieging intricate story in GBU that culmintated in a beautiful unpredictable 3-way showdown.

Corbucci told a story that showed some inspiration but he also brought in plug in characters to advance his plot, it works in some places and not in others.

Reminds me of the difference between author"s John D. MacDonald and  Carl Hiassen. Both tell stories of underworld Florida, MacDonald's villans are real bastards, Hiassens are figments of his imagination using dopey gimmics to differentiate them, i.e. one is one handed and has some kind of electric fan attached to the stump with which he threatens people. It like Hiassen must ask himself what can I do to top that in my next novel.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2004, 07:24:31 PM »

I mentioned on another thread that Corbucci had good ideas and gags, but lacked, among other things, Leone's Camera (almost everyone does) and his ability to produce a unified whole.  

BTW, I pretty much can't stand Thomas Milan.

More feeling.
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2004, 02:19:19 PM »

i think milian's performance in Big Gundown was great, in a similar vein to Tuco in GBU, but i can see his antics grating after a while. Sollima obviously liked him, casting in Gundown, Face to Face and Run Man Run.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2004, 06:27:05 PM »

BTW, I pretty much can't stand Thomas Milan.

Companero, you have said a true thing.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2004, 05:10:14 AM »

... milian's performance in Big Gundown was great, in a similar vein to Tuco in GBU, but i can see his antics grating after a while. Sollima obviously liked him, casting in Gundown, Face to Face and Run Man Run.

Well he is playing the same character in TBG & RMR, for Face to Face he plays an ex confederate outlaw its a serious part and the film has no jokes, for Companeros he's back in his loveable peon shtick.

Milian plays the peon very very well he would have been a much better and believable choice for Juan in Duck You Sucker than Stieger, so would have Eli Wallach.

Doing his peon shtick Milian is equal to Eastwood doing his MWNN persona and Van Cleef doing his Mortimer/wiseman character. Face it, Milian is a SW staple and one of the greats of the genre along with Nero. We here in the US just haven't sampled all of their films.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2004, 11:33:41 AM »

Doing his peon shtick Milian is equal to Eastwood doing his MWNN persona and Van Cleef doing his Mortimer/wiseman character. Face it, Milian is a SW staple and one of the greats of the genre along with Nero. We here in the US just haven't sampled all of their films.
I disagree that Milian doing his peon sh*t is equal to Eastwood's man with no name, or really any of the major Leone characters.     The Leone characters are endlessly compelling.  Milian makes you want to fast forward.   He was in a lot of Spaghetti and their inbred cousing Zapata Westerns, but I can't think of any time where GMV, or Eli  wouldn't have been better and more compelling.    Not everyone in Spaghetti Westerns was particularly good, though the genre is very strong.  Milian might be a staple of Spaghetti's but so were a bunch of second and third rate Clint clones, are they good, too?

More feeling.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2004, 01:48:53 PM »

I disagree that Milian doing his peon sh*t is equal to Eastwood's man with no name, or really any of the major Leone characters.    The Leone characters are endlessly compelling.  Milian makes you want to fast forward.  He was in a lot of Spaghetti and their inbred cousing Zapata Westerns, but I can't think of any time where GMV, or Eli  wouldn't have been better and more compelling.    Not everyone in Spaghetti Westerns was particularly good, though the genre is very strong.  Milian might be a staple of Spaghetti's but so were a bunch of second and third rate Clint clones, are they good, too?

I'm not comparing him to Leone characters, he obviously made a great career in SW's he must have been doing something right and made a lot of dinero for his directors and producers. I'm talking the top 20 SW's, not the 500 or so other pieces of crap.

Milian played a smart peon who does the right thing, Eli a loveable idiot, Volonte a dangerous lunatic. I think you are judging to harshly.

Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2004, 06:09:27 PM »

Perhaps Milian is not for everyone. I certainly think he's extraordiary. He is amuzing and fun to watch, and I've never considered fast forwarding when he's on screen. Among non-Leone SW actors, he's one of the truly great names. Then again, there aren't that many great SW actors who never worked with Leone.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2004, 08:23:47 PM »

i think milian is one of the better SW actors, but you've gotta put it into context, apart from the guys used by Leone, most of these guys were shit actors, its not the actors that make the films fun to watch.

ok so eastwood, kinski, volonte, these are great actors.

but Nero, Steffen, garko, these arent great thespians lets be honest.  Undecided

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2004, 01:23:35 PM »

I'm not comparing him to Leone characters, he obviously made a great career in SW's he must have been doing something right and made a lot of dinero for his directors and producers. I'm talking the top 20 SW's, not the 500 or so other pieces of crap.

Milian played a smart peon who does the right thing, Eli a loveable idiot, Volonte a dangerous lunatic. I think you are judging to harshly.

Life has no value here...

More feeling.
Fortean
Road Apple

... it'll be the last mistake you ever make.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2005, 11:40:08 AM »

I've been a Spaghetti Western fan for years. I own over 75 western DVDs. I even have Sonny and Jed, but I had never gotten around to getting Companeros on DVD until just recently. I was floored.

What a great flic! I really liked Franco Nero as Django, but as Yodlaf he is ten times better. Tomas Milian and Jack Palance gave fine performances, but I'd have to say Franco really stole the show.

The Great Silence is in the mail to me, and I can hardly wait to see it. And now I know I'll have to get The Mercenary as well.

Ehi amico... c'č Sabata, hai chiuso!
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2005, 11:50:08 AM »

companeros has really gotten me obsessed with finding more corbucci, he is amazing... one of the very few spaghetti auteurs... anyhow, companeros is currently by far my favorite spaghetti, leone discluded of course, but even then I believe it to be superior to a few of his as well... the morricone score and the direction is what really got me, and the way corbucci can make something as adolescent as nero picking up a machine gun look so damn amazing... btw, the other great thing about it is in my opinion it has to have the greatest trailer ever made, thanks partially to the score, on the region 1  once upon a time in italy dvd anyway.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2005, 09:03:34 PM »

You'll really like "The Mercenary" then. Looking forward to hearing your report on that one.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2005, 11:46:42 PM »

the morricone score and the direction is what really got me,
Yep. Not the story, though.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2005, 12:21:54 PM »

I've been a Spaghetti Western fan for years. I own over 75 western DVDs. I even have Sonny and Jed, but I had never gotten around to getting Companeros on DVD until just recently. I was floored.

What a great flic! I really liked Franco Nero as Django, but as Yodlaf he is ten times better. Tomas Milian and Jack Palance gave fine performances, but I'd have to say Franco really stole the show.

The Great Silence is in the mail to me, and I can hardly wait to see it. And now I know I'll have to get The Mercenary as well.

You own 75 SWs and only now just getting round to Mercenary and Gt Silence? Wow.

You're in for a treat though - Silence is the best non-Leone SW and the Mercenary is the best non-DYS Zapata western. I'm undecided as to which is the better of the two though.

It's class.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM