Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 07:59:13 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Vamos a matar, compaņeros aka Companeros (1970)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vamos a matar, compaņeros aka Companeros (1970)  (Read 38315 times)
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2005, 06:25:58 PM »

I'd agree.  Great Silence is up there with the best.  I would also recommend Corbucci's Hellbenders and Navajo Joe.  After Leone, Corbucci is "the man".

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Fortean
Road Apple

... it'll be the last mistake you ever make.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2005, 02:00:26 PM »

In the mail today I got three DVDs:

The Great Silence
Any Gun Can Play
Find A Place To Die

I've still got A Pistol For Ringo/Return Of Ringo coming in the mail fom an eBay auction.

This will be a good weekend I think.

Ehi amico... c'č Sabata, hai chiuso!
Fortean
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2005, 09:30:14 AM »

Watched The Great Silence last night. It met up with my expectations. I liked Companeros better, but Silence has style and an excellent story. I'll have to get The Mercenary next month, and eventually Hellbenders.

On a side note, if anyone watches the special features on Day Of Anger there is a bit of film on the making of Great Silence. The scenes in town used an interesting sort of fake snow.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2005, 11:39:49 AM »

out of curiousity are you aware of where to get your hands on a decent copy of either the mercenary or hellbenders... as far as I can tell(and I haven't looked into it too much) mercenary has a horrid horrid transfer on a region 1 disc and hellbenders isn't available, are there options for other regions? if you have the spots picked out already it could save me the time of searching.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2005, 01:11:57 PM »

In the mail today I got three DVDs:

The Great Silence
Any Gun Can Play
Find A Place To Die

I've still got A Pistol For Ringo/Return Of Ringo coming in the mail fom an eBay auction.

This will be a good weekend I think.

All really good films, Fortean.  Excellent choices.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
visitor
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2005, 01:18:09 PM »

out of curiousity are you aware of where to get your hands on a decent copy of either the mercenary or hellbenders... as far as I can tell(and I haven't looked into it too much) mercenary has a horrid horrid transfer on a region 1 disc and hellbenders isn't available, are there options for other regions? if you have the spots picked out already it could save me the time of searching.

in the USA try
www.xploitedcinema.com

pricey, but whatcha gonna do when you need a fix?

He has an extensive collection of PAL, NTSC, and region free dvds. His sw dvd's have most of the available titles. I think HELLBENDERS is coming out soon.

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2005, 04:23:57 PM »

in the USA try
www.xploitedcinema.com

pricey, but whatcha gonna do when you need a fix?

He has an extensive collection of PAL, NTSC, and region free dvds. His sw dvd's have most of the available titles. I think HELLBENDERS is coming out soon.

via Anchorbay in the fall with any luck.
Hellbenders is available throu the SPO Japanese label under the italian name 'I Crudelli'.. but its a first generation macaroni DVD like Blindman etc.. tend to be Letterbox low bit rate. Not even sure if its got a english audio actually.

Sonny & Jed is a bit hard work the first half hour. Basicly long scappy domestic between J & S. But it gets better after that. Its a good Thomas Milian film thou, hes improvising on the humour alot of the time.

Very grey overcaste bleak lookin spaghetti western like Django 'the mud and the cold, which dosn't mix too well with the hyperactive nature of the film. . Savalas is great but three quarters of the way through the film his charactor changes in a way you will never expect. Which does leave you scratching your head a little.
Very good 'Sonny' chant Morricone theme holds the film together like glue . Like the 'sean sean' in Giu La testa. Proberly the only thing worth searching out in the early 70s. Pretty much down hill for Corbucci. I've become quite fond of J & S over the years.. it has its moments..

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2005, 12:10:49 PM »

Dunno about "only" thing worthwhile in the early seventies...I think Grand Duel, from this period, is pretty good, and DYS dates to that period also.  Unless you mean by Corbucci, in which case I don't know enough about his movies to comment.

Sorry Derringdo, not very clear. Just talkin Corbucci post Companeros..

Fortean
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2005, 12:24:13 PM »

Grand Duel was a recent acquisition as well. Got that one off of eBay. An excellent film, better than I had expected.

I think Great Silence had some excellent costume work. Companeros did as well. When you compare that to a film like God's Gun, or even some more modern efforts I could name, it's very impressive.

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2005, 01:07:44 PM »

And the music in Grand Duel is fantastic too.

I know very little about latter day Corbucci westerns, but I gather he moved more into the light-hearted vein.  Personally, I like it when he dollops on big portions of unjust!

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2005, 04:46:27 PM »

Annoyingly, there is soooo much good music out of print!!!

I'd love to get hold of The Hellbenders music.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2005, 06:11:49 PM »

Sorry Derringdo, not very clear. Just talkin Corbucci post Companeros..

I know you are reffering to spaghettis specifically, but if you get a chance I HIGHLY Reccomend SUPER FUZZ(1980 i believe?)... it really is fantastic, and available somewhere on dvd, i do own it.

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2005, 03:19:45 AM »

try discplus.ch They've been trying to clear out their soundtracks in stock (were discounted like 70%), and last time I searched for Morricone on it, I Crudeli (Hellbenders) was there.

At something like 5 EU apiece, their cds were a steal.

Cheers for that!  I'll have to have a look!

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2005, 01:31:01 AM »

being my favorite, By Far, of all the non-leone spaghetti westerns I had to write a bit about it after watching it tonight...

I posted this review somewhere else and thought I should share it here as well.

It's incredibly hard to say anything bad about this film. It's also hard to say anything good about this film and still sound slightly intelligent. Basically what makes this film great is Corbucci, with direction that is so sporadic and brilliant at the same time it is hard to articulate. He has filmed 3 of the best action sequences ever shot ,or scored for that matter, and he has put them all in the same movie. The long river chase being the least of the three is absolutely brilliantly cut and scored by morricone, it quickly goes back and forth from men keeling over almost in synchronicity to Nero and his reoccuring early 1900's machine gun rampage. From their the chase scene goes into chase mode and is some of the best horse chasing, score pounding integration I've ever seen. The second, and best of the great action sequences(maybe the best of all time) is when the duo saves professor xantos from the firing squad. Again we get fast gunfire, intercut sporadically with men keeling over, this time it's almost balletic. Men go down in sequence, at the same time, thrown over their toppling horses, all perfectly set to music that accentuates such rhythmic action. Each man goes down differently, and each man going down sets up and at the same time compliments the next. It really is magnificent, and anyone who can appreciate a good action sequence will undoubtedly be in awe for several minutes, I find myself watching it over and over again each time I sit down to view the movie. The third is your standard 'trio taking down 30 men to get to the head honcho', but again it's done with such style and grace, and this time much more chaotically, that you almost forget these men are dying and not dancing, yet at the same time it feels like you are in the middle of something as chaotic as a war. To be able to capture both of those feelings into an action sequence is pure brilliance, and Corbucci, in that regard is ridiculously underappreciated.

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2005, 03:59:36 AM »

I've been gradually easing a friend of mine into the non-Leone Spaghetti Westerns, and this is the next one I plan to show him.  Followed probably by Johnny Yuma.

So far I have got him to see Sabata, Navajo Joe, Hellbenders, Django, Great Silence, Keoma, Face to Face, Bullet for the General and Django Kill.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM