Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2018, 06:12:33 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Vamos a matar, compaņeros aka Companeros (1970)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
: Vamos a matar, compaņeros aka Companeros (1970)  ( 47938 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #45 : July 24, 2005, 08:59:31 AM »

I liked it very much when I saw it at the theatre. Now I prefer by a long way Il mercenario, though marred (as I have already said in another discussion) by Musante playing Milian's role.
Anyway, I would like you to explain to me, if you please, the finale: what is it that makes Nero move?

« : July 24, 2005, 09:05:36 AM titoli »

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #46 : July 24, 2005, 11:16:22 AM »

back to help the students or blowing up the arms?

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #47 : July 28, 2005, 01:23:34 PM »

I got around to watching Companeros again last night.  And, whilst I thought it was pretty good the first time, I enjoyed it even more so the second time around.  So, here is my usual review type thing!

"With a dream cast of Franco Nero (as Swedish mercenary Yod Peterson aka "penguin") and Tomas Milian (Mexican rebel Vasco), a soundtrack by Ennio Morricone and Sergio Corbucci at the Directors helm, this film was always likely to deliver. And it delivers 100%.

The story centres around the town of San Bernardino, and a fight for power between General Mongo (Bodalo) and Professor Xantos (Fernando Rey). Xantos, a pacifist with a young and dedicated following, has been imprisoned at Fort Yuma by the Americans. His absence has left the town, and its safe, at the mercy of Mongo. However, without the combination for the lock, he is unable to access the wealth of the town.

Mongo enlists the help of Peterson to rescue Xantos, for both the combination code and probable execution. Vascos is sent to accompany him, having already suffered much humiliation as a result of an earlier confrontation with the Swede. This makes for a very uneasy relationship.

A brief fracas with Xantos' followers at a hold-up on a train enables Peterson to escape from Vacos' close watch. However, he is soon relying on his companion to rescue him, after he is captured by a former partner John (Jack Palance) - who he had previously betrayed some years ago to save his own skin. This betrayal had resulted in John being nailed to a tree, and relying on his faithful pet falcon, Marsha, to rescue him by biting off his hand. Not surprisingly, John holds a grudge (as well as a wooden hand!).

On escaping John's grasp, the two make an assault on Fort Yuma in an attempt to free Xantos from the Americans. As the adventure really heats up, they're paths will soon cross with the American army, General Mongo, Xantos' followers and, of course, John and Marsha.

The first third of the film is perhaps a little slow and episodic, but does successfully reveal the characters of Peterson and Vasco to the viewer (with fantastic character play by Nero and Milian respectively). Once the background is established, the film soon explodes into action with a series of exciting and highly effective chases and battle sequences. Corbucci at his best.

Probably the strongest element of this movie however is its subtle use of humour. Much of this is provided by the chemistry between the two leading roles, but the laughs really reach a crescendo with Peterson and Vasco's final liaison with Jack's falcon Marsha. Just one great scene in a film full of them.

It is no doubt a crime to have got so far into my review without mentioning Jack Palance's performance in much detail, because his performance as the unhinged, marijuana smoking John is scene stealing. Quite possibly one of the greatest villains of all the Spaghetti Westerns I have seen.

Music is provided by Morricone, and as always the score is a perfect accompaniment to the action - both memorable and rousing. In fact it always amazes me how the man could be so consistent! In summary, this is a must view film from the ever reliable Corbucci. And my mouth waters at the prospect of watching his other mexican revolutionary movies ('A Professional Gun' and 'What Am I Doing in the Middle of a Revolution')..... very shortly, hopefully"!

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
HEX

« #48 : September 23, 2005, 02:28:28 PM »

MARCO LEONE with the films u have shown youre pal he should be "EASED" into the genre by now(u have shown him great to good films). u gave him excellent choices to start of with but how about giving him more risky SW like FISTFUL OF LEAD perhaps ;)

oh also this question is for any one who would know
who is the actress that milian marries at the end of the flick?
she is so cute  :-*

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #49 : September 23, 2005, 02:52:48 PM »

Well Hex, too true - and the next one lined up for him is Cut-throat Nine!  He has also borrowed my copy of Viva Django.

As for the "love interest" in Companeros, its the very tasty looking Iris Berben.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
HEX

« #50 : September 23, 2005, 05:04:02 PM »

thanks

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #51 : September 25, 2005, 12:05:23 PM »

Is Johnny Yuma worth a look. I saw it at Wild East on DVD but heard the transfer on the Double Feature disc was diabolical.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #52 : September 25, 2005, 12:09:36 PM »

Its a while since I watched Johnny Yuma, and it was great.  I don't remember having a problem with the transfer.

The film has a great "bad" female role.  The accompanying movie, "Between God, the Devil and the Winchester" also made for a good view (although I appreciate that not all agree with me on that one).

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #53 : December 25, 2005, 06:29:07 AM »

I opened my Companeros DVD Xmas pressie this morning and gave it a spin.Having already a copy of the cut vhs i was surprised to see that in the beginning flashback duel between Nero and Milian they've totally left of the English dialogue in favour of Italian(with English subtitles) but with totally different lines!!
I can only put this down to the Italian lines flowing better into Neros narrative for the newly inserted prologue starting with Milian shining Eduardo Fajardo's boots.Later on they have also left out the English dialogue when Nero ejects the big bufoon from the hotel room but again this scene is slightly extended i think.
This isn't a complaint because i am well chuffed with this stunning widescreen longer picture version but i will certainly keep hold of my old vhs for the original English dialogue for those two scenes!

indio
Gunslinger

just a son of a bitch

« #54 : December 26, 2005, 01:13:51 AM »

one of my favorites . such great fun.

That could just be cannon fire.
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

« #55 : December 27, 2005, 04:58:43 AM »

Great film, I'm glad you got it on DVD at last banjo  :)

Christopher

« #56 : January 02, 2006, 04:48:56 PM »

This one is all about Palance and his bird.
I just watched it, and I can't say I follow this statement very well. ???

I liked it. I like Nero and Milian more and more as I see them in more movies, and they're good together here. The soundtrack is great too.

This isn't a complaint because i am well chuffed with this stunning widescreen longer picture version but i will certainly keep hold of my old vhs for the original English dialogue for those two scenes!
I thought those scenes weren't in the original English release, and that's why they're still in Italian with subtitles. The back of the DVD case and before the movie starts, it says something about including scenes that wasn't in the English release, so they've never been dubbed.

Or did some of those scenes exist in the cut version, but they decided to put them in Italian so as not to mix up the languages too much during the opening scenes?

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

« #57 : January 02, 2006, 04:52:58 PM »

From what banjo syas it seems AB have replaced the scenes with English dialogue with Italian, most likely to ease the launch from English to Latin language. I'm just glad to have such a great version on DVD.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #58 : January 03, 2006, 02:20:18 AM »

The main chunk missing from my English vhs version is the prologue starting off with Milian shining the Generals boots up to the point where we are back in the present and the train pulls in to introduce us to Penguin!
The other later cuts are minor.

Le Bon
Bounty Killer

You'd better be Bill Carson

« #59 : January 03, 2006, 01:06:51 PM »

I noticed too that the scenes in italian on the DVD were actually in english on my old VHS. The cover implies like you say that these were never dubbed and are being seen for the first time. But like Banjo says there are some new bits and it is W/S.

: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines