Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 03:25:13 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Vamos a matar, compañeros aka Companeros (1970)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vamos a matar, compañeros aka Companeros (1970)  (Read 38398 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2004, 08:51:21 PM »

Got this unexpected gem in the mail from Amazon.com today, light years more polished than Django. I have to now reassess Corbucci, prior to seeing this I'd only seen Django and The Great Silence, I likened Corbucci to being the Ken Russel of Spaghetti Westerns. I'm not sure if all of you are familiar with Russel but he has a style that is just a bit off, a bit twisted is about the best way to describe it.

Django is in my opinion way below AFOD as a debut film, but a lot of directors after an initial success just flatline and repeat a formula but the learning curve of Corbucci is impressive.

Companeros is completely different, well made, funny, Jack Palance is a hoot over the top. Don't expect Leone style  but you will like it. Its also got a catchy Morricone score, what more could you want.

The biggest mistake you can make with judging Corbucci is see Django first, if you buy it you will feel like you got burned, Corbucci definitely improved with age and bigger budgets.

More later.....

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 10:17:16 PM »

companeros is definitly better than django and from what i've seen i think it's corbucci's best. Nero really is in quite a few great movies and gives some great western performances... definitly underrated in my opinion, although django is overrated.

haven't seen the grand silence... but i do own super fuzz and i love it!

« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 10:20:19 PM by grandpa_chum » Logged

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 04:29:10 AM »

Actually everything I've read rates The Mercenary (A Professional Gun) better than Companeros. Something else to look forward too....

What's Super Fuzz by the way?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
spag fan
Bandido

It don't matter what I say, I'll dub it later.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 06:39:37 AM »

Yes, Companeros is very good!

If I'm not mistaken, I think Super Fuzz was one of several cop flicks Terrance Hill was in in the 70's. I remember them being funny along the lines of the Trinity films.

Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 07:03:21 AM »

I personalley prefer Companeros over A Professional Gun, but then again, Companeros is the only one of them I've seen with top image quality. Plus it had Franco Nero speaking swedish. I love that theme song from Companeros.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 02:47:22 PM »

The Mercenary was a grower for me. My second viewing was alot more enjoyable. Its was the first film Corbucci shook off those shakey camera zooms. Alot more polished style. Mentioned this before but he was really hung up on burning sunsets in that movie.

Companeros is just a good time movie for me. It’s basically a reworking of The Mercenary. Has the essence that all involved had a good laugh making it.

Shame that 'Che Centriamo Noi Con La Rivoluzione' (1972) 'What am i doing in the middle of this revolution'
didn't produce the goods, the last part of Corbucci's Zapata Trilogy.
2 Italian gringos (Actor & Priest), In the midist of the Revolution. It was actually filmed in Mexico. Basic idea is great spaghetti western self parody (A Italian thespian in Mexico), The main bandit cult seeking revenge all whore Mexican ‘day of the dead’ traditional skull masks and sombreros.  (On a subconscious level they strikingly reminded you of certain sci-fi movies stormtroopers when in mass) Also had their right hands amputated, Corbucci’s disability obsession again.  But it doesn’t pull it off. Wasn’t up to the quality of the others. Very over noisy and unmatchable in places. And above all not very funny which its suppose to be.
One of those films that i bet looked good on paper.
At least it shook it self free from the 'A Bullet For The General' carbon copy that Mercenary, Companeros followed.
And yes, The Ennio Morricone soundtrack was fantastic for this movie.

Has that twilight melancholy feel the My Name is Nobody, Sonny & Jed and Giu La Testa scores have. Sundown on the Italian western.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 03:26:00 PM by The Smoker » Logged

Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 04:33:26 PM »

Sonny and Jed? Never heard of the film, nor heard the score. I assume it's worth tracking down?

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 06:27:11 PM »

well its got telly savalas in it...who loves ya baby!  Grin

not to mention tomas milian.
it was pretty dire im afraid, morricone score tho

ive always thought Great Silence was pretty good considering how bad Corbucci's other films ive seen are, though i havent seen Companeros or Professional Gun yet.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 11:27:24 PM »

Corbucci had a lot of cool ideas, but his camera sense didn't approach Leone's.   His story ideas, characters and gags were strong, but the Camera work didn't keep up with his strengths.

More feeling.
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 05:38:37 AM »

Sonny & Jed..
Bonnie & Clyde with spurs. Good for Susan George 'Straw Dogs' who played Sonny.
One thing you can always say about Corbucci has unscrapable taste in leading ladies in his movies.

Proberly the last watchable Corbucci movie as well unfortunatly.

I think you can get hold of the soundtrack on a Double Bill with a Zombie movie, which slips the mined. Ive got it hang around somewhere. earlier 80s release.

But i can't recommended the 'Che Centriamo Noi Con La Rivoluzione' LP enough been listening to it mostly last summer, Dagored Records (Firenze) do really good Morricone CD/LP reissues. Amazon stock em.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 06:00:51 AM by The Smoker » Logged

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2004, 12:32:37 PM »

super fuzz is one of my guilty pleasures... it's about a cop(terrence hill) who after contact with a red nuclear material has super powers as long as he doesn't see anything red... it really is a good corbucci movie... made in 1980 with ernest borgnine and sal borgese.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2004, 12:02:19 PM »

Ok watched this again, its basically a fun adventure film and it works, caught one minor gaff and they go to rescue Xantos from Ft. Yuma in Texas, lol.

Nero aka "the Swede" or "The Penguin", has a merorable entrance, a lot of fun. Milian is equally amusing, its not Leone but to Leone fans it will be very familiar, and if your looking to watch a film that captures that Sapghetti Western feel of the 60's and 70's this is one. As an added connection it does have a great Morricone score.

Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004, 06:16:46 PM »

Ok watched this again, its basically a fun adventure film and it works, caught one minor gaff and they go to rescue Xantos from Ft. Yuma in Texas, lol.

Nero aka "the Swede" or "The Penguin", has a merorable entrance, a lot of fun. Milian is equally amusing, its not Leone but to Leone fans it will be very familiar, and if your looking to watch a film that captures that Sapghetti Western feel of the 60's and 70's this is one. As an added connection it does have a great Morricone score.
This one is all about Palance and his bird.

More feeling.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2004, 06:37:43 PM »

This one is all about Palance and his bird.

Well, not all about Palance and his bird, Palance plays "Wooden hand John" a dope smoking lunatic and "Marsha" is his pet falcon. The Swede and John were gunrunning business partners selling faulty arms in Cuba, when the deal went sour the Swede nailed John by one hand to a tree and took off. John persuaded Marsha to gnaw his hand off to free himself. He has a small gang, one of whom has an outlandish hearing aid and they pop up here and there in the film.

Its not, I repeat a magnificent mythic Leone style western, but its also not an out and out spoof like "My name is Nobody" its somewhere in between its well made has an excellent transfer to DVD and it has a catchy Morricone score.

Bonus it has an interview with Franco Nero, Tomas Milian, and Ennio Morricone.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 06:39:46 PM by cigar joe » Logged

Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2004, 03:00:47 PM »

I have it!  And I repeat, it is all about Palance and his bird!

More feeling.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM