Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2018, 02:33:28 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Gaslight (1940)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Gaslight (1940)  ( 261 )
moorman
Gunslinger

« : July 13, 2018, 12:03:24 PM »

I've had this on my viewing list for a while now.  I'm sure most of you know the plot.   Paul Mallen ( Anton Walbrook) is married to Bella ( Diana Wynyard). They move into this huge mansion formerly occupied by Alice Barlow who is murdered. SPOILER ALERTS:  Detective Rough ( Frank Pettingell) who has been investigating that murder, suspects that Mr. Mallen is the unfound  murderer who has found a way to move back into the house.   The plot reveals that Mr. Mallen IS the original murderer.  In order to keep his wife from finding out about his plot to continue to search for some rubys he was seeking during the original murder, he tries to convince her that the noises he is making in the closed off upper portion of the mansion is her imagination. The plot builds tension and keeps you engaged until the climax of the film.  I saw a bad copy on Youtube and I can tell this is a beautiful film to watch with restoration.

On a side note, I read that MGM, which bought the rights to this British film from British National Films, ordered that all prints of it be destroyed because they ordered a 1944 remake.  This failed as the negative and other copies survived.  This is a excellent film which gave way to the term " Gaslighting ",  a form of abuse in which the perpetrators try and convince their victims that they are crazy when its actually the other way around.  Unlike the film "The Night of the Hunter" which reveals narcissism in very nuanced ways, this film is in your face about its subject matter, narcissism.  I rank this film a solid 8.5 out of 10...

« : July 13, 2018, 12:20:18 PM moorman »
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1 : July 13, 2018, 02:19:47 PM »

I don't like the remake, never seen this version.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moorman
Gunslinger

« #2 : July 13, 2018, 02:48:33 PM »

I don't like the remake, never seen this version.

The reviews say the original is better. I enjoyed it.  I got it on my list of DVDS to purchase.  It was filmed on location in London which is another bonus...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3 : July 13, 2018, 02:53:09 PM »

The reviews say the original is better. I enjoyed it.  I got it on my list of DVDS to purchase.  It was filmed on location in London which is another bonus...

If I see it offered free streaming somewhere I'll check it out.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moorman
Gunslinger

« #4 : July 13, 2018, 03:11:42 PM »

If I see it offered free streaming somewhere I'll check it out.

Amazon has it streaming for a few bucks. I can't remember the price off hand. I had it in my list there to watch and forgot I did and watched the Youtube copy.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #5 : July 13, 2018, 03:14:09 PM »

I'll check it out on Youtube when I get some time.

kjrwe
Gunslinger

« #6 : July 15, 2018, 01:17:39 AM »

I enjoyed both versions.

I'm not one of those people who will complain about remakes. In a LOT of cases, the original is actually a novel/story story/play (not a film), and I see nothing wrong with having different interpretations of the literature.

greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #7 : July 21, 2018, 06:32:02 AM »

It's provident that this film wasn't destroyed. I've got both this and 1944 'Gaslight' on DVD. I'm going to have to compare the two. I reckon that Angela Lansbury is the star of the 1944 version as the flirty maid. And the thought of Charles Boyer having to stand on top of a chair so he could be above Ingrid Bergman's height on screen.

moorman
Gunslinger

« #8 : July 21, 2018, 09:02:45 PM »

It's provident that this film wasn't destroyed. I've got both this and 1944 'Gaslight' on DVD. I'm going to have to compare the two. I reckon that Angela Lansbury is the star of the 1944 version as the flirty maid. And the thought of Charles Boyer having to stand on top of a chair so he could be above Ingrid Bergman's height on screen.
  I'm gonna have to watch this version also.  I don't believe it can top the original but I will gibe it a look anyway...

greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #9 : July 31, 2018, 06:09:09 AM »

I've just re-watched this version and I must say that I believe this to be better than the 1944 film. It has more atmosphere and more threat. Apart from Angela Lansbury as the maid in the 1944 version, generally speaking the acting is better in this one. Even though Ingrid Bergman got the Oscar in 1944, I find Diana Wynyard more convincing. And Anton Walbrook has more of the villain about him than Charles Boyer.

So I've just voted a 9/10 rating for this on IMDb. A BTW, I seem to remember a term 'gaslight noir' being used somewhere in the past. I've just put it into Yahoo Search but no results came up. I think that gaslight noir has been referred to as a sub genre that mixes noir and gothic melodrama.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #10 : July 31, 2018, 03:11:24 PM »

I think that gaslight noir has been referred to as a sub genre that mixes noir and gothic melodrama.

Yea I've heard that term also, probably Hangover Square and The Lodger would fit.

moorman
Gunslinger

« #11 : July 31, 2018, 05:14:48 PM »

I've just re-watched this version and I must say that I believe this to be better than the 1944 film. It has more atmosphere and more threat. Apart from Angela Lansbury as the maid in the 1944 version, generally speaking the acting is better in this one. Even though Ingrid Bergman got the Oscar in 1944, I find Diana Wynyard more convincing. And Anton Walbrook has more of the villain about him than Charles Boyer.

So I've just voted a 9/10 rating for this on IMDb. A BTW, I seem to remember a term 'gaslight noir' being used somewhere in the past. I've just put it into Yahoo Search but no results came up. I think that gaslight noir has been referred to as a sub genre that mixes noir and gothic melodrama.

Without even having screened the 1944 version I iknow it would be pretty hard to better the original version.  I agree with everything you said about the film. In fact the film should be mentioned among the top classic noirs in my opinion. Its THAT good...

greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #12 : August 02, 2018, 03:03:24 AM »

Thanks CJ for recommending 'Hangover Square' and 'The Lodger' as examples of the gaslight noir subgenre. Both Laird Cregar films I notice. His last two at that. Pity that he died too young.

I saw 'Man In The Attic' (1953) with Jack Palance in it recently. That could be another that fits the gaslight noir genre and has much the same theme as 'The Lodger.'

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines