Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 08:59:42 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Cattle Queen of Montana (1954)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cattle Queen of Montana (1954)  (Read 270 times)
Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2017, 03:19:16 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046839/reference

Death to Natchakoa

Out of RKO Radio Pictures comes Cattle Queen of Montana, directed by Allan Dwan and written by Robert Blees, Howard Estabrook (screenplay) & Thomas Blackburn (story). It stars Barbara Stanwyck, Ronald Reagan, Gene Adams, Lance Fuller, Anthony Caruso, Jack Elam & Yvette Duguay. The music is scored by Louis Forbes and it's a Technicolor production with John Alton on photography. Locations used for the film are Glacier National Park, Montana & Iverson Ranch, Chatsworth, California.

Stanwyck plays Sierra Nevada Jones, a tough cowgirl who along with her father, drive the family herd up from Texas to Montana. Planning to build a ranch to set themselves up, tragedy strikes when they are attacked by some renegade Blackfoot Indians. However, all is not as it seems, just what has shifty Tom McCord (Evans) got to do with things? Why is gunslinger Farrell (Reagan) working for McCord? And can war between the Blackfoot and the white man be averted?

Standard formulaic stuff that is only really of interest for the photography of Alton. Cowboys and Indians, good and bad on each side, go head to head in a cliché riddled movie bogged down by a pretty turgid script. Not even the normally classy Stanwyck can lift herself to a performance capable of saving the piece. There's some credit due for making the lead protagonist a strong willed woman, and even tho it's a bit late in the cycle of topic, depicting the Indians as not all savages-as the white man encroaches onto their land-is a bonus. But with American character actors Fuller & Caruso playing the in fighting leaders of the Blackfoot tribe, it just comes across as corny and wholly unbelievable, while Dwan was indeed a more than capable director, here the action lacks zip and the film gasps for some dramatic air as the narrative goes around in circles.

The story off screen is more entertaining than the film itself, where Reagan was constantly at odds with producer Benedict Bogeaus. The future President of the United States of America took one look at the script and voiced concerns, suggesting many changes, all of which were ignored. Royalty status was afforded Stanwyck while Reagan got next to no help from the producer, this perhaps goes someway to explaining his limp performance. Tho, again, the script calls for him to be part of one of the most lukewarm and pointless romances in 1950s Oaters, he got no help either way on this picture. Still, there's Alton's photography of the Glacier National Park to hold the attention, even if the "new" scrubbed up print of the film is far from doing it justice.

That its claim to fame is being the film playing at the theater in Hill Valley in the film Back to the Future, says volumes, this is poor all told, and not even worthy of recommending to those after a time filling Cowboys & Indians no brainer. 3/10

Part of the otherwise spiffing Allan Dwan Box Set - French Import - Own Collection.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 03:29:15 PM by Spikeopath » Logged

Out you get Hooky, you done your bit.
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 03:21:02 PM »

3/10? Ouch. That hurts. I saw it years ago and actually didn't find it too bad. But then any film with Stanwyck in it can't be all bad.

Though I just watched, or tried to watch, Escape to Burma, with her and Robert Ryan and that was really bad. Stanwyck and Ryan have sizzling chemistry, in general, but not even they could save this turkey.
Did you ever see The Maverick Queen?

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 10:03:51 PM »

I gave the movie to CJ who reviewed it but the search engine, as usual, sucks.

Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 07:40:28 AM »

3/10? Ouch. That hurts. I saw it years ago and actually didn't find it too bad. But then any film with Stanwyck in it can't be all bad.

Though I just watched, or tried to watch, Escape to Burma, with her and Robert Ryan and that was really bad. Stanwyck and Ryan have sizzling chemistry, in general, but not even they could save this turkey.
Did you ever see The Maverick Queen?

Maverick Queen. Yep, I wrote this back in 2009 >

Sigh, poorly written piece that could have been so much more.

Tough gal Kit Banlon opens a hotel and saloon out in frontier Colorado that soon becomes a haven of gamblers and gunfighters. With notable patrons being none other than Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid. Fighting off the romantic advances of Sundance, Kit's life gets more interesting when she becomes attracted to a relative of the Younger Brothers' outlaw posse. Or is he? Whispers in the shadows point to the handsome stranger perhaps being a law man on the trail of the infamous Wild Bunch. Kit could very well be jeopardising much more than a unfulfilled romance if she falls in with the stranger?

Directed by the genre prolific Joe Kane and based upon on the novel written by Zane Grey, The Maverick Queen is something of a wasted premise, with all the elements are in place for a twisty psychological Western. The story is a sound one, with the characters at first glance looking to have potential for gusto and intrigue, but it just doesn't come together as a whole, either through one dimensional male characters or through lazy writing, it ultimately ends up being a damp squib. A squib briefly sparked by Barbara Stanwyk (Kit) in one of her later career tough feminine roles, and a pretty as a picture Mary Murphy who also gets to show a bit of spunk. But the girls can't carry the picture alone...

Barry Sullivan was a safe and amiable actor, he however was far from being a leading man who was able to carry a picture up front, thus here as the leading protagonist he struggles badly as he tries to make the tepid Kenneth Gamet screenplay work. It's a surprisingly weak adaptation from the man who wrote The Flying Leathernecks and the hugely enjoyable Coroner Creek, while Kane himself has to take some of the blame for letting the film plod when it should be zippy. There's a nice kicker in the finale - something that saves the piece from rotting at the bottom of the "B" Western barrel, but sadly it's just not decent enough to warrant a second glance - rendering as fact that both Stanwyck and the audience deserved better. 4/10

Escape to Burma - LOL - I will have to check but I've a feeling that it's the last film I have to view from the Dwan Box Set!

Out you get Hooky, you done your bit.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM