Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 10:55:40 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Chato's Land (1972)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chato's Land (1972)  (Read 24342 times)
Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2005, 03:27:32 PM »

You're such a jerkface :-P

They hardly even play good stuff on Comcast's Western Channel. Just Gene Autry all day.

You'd think American movies or movies about America would get better time on TV... Undecided

jerkface
Bandido

You eat guts.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2005, 08:49:31 AM »

You're such a jerkface :-P

They hardly even play good stuff on Comcast's Western Channel. Just Gene Autry all day.

You'd think American movies or movies about America would get better time on TV... Undecided

Who you calling jerkface, jerkface!

What's Comcast? Where are you from?

Unfortunately, in America the media would like us to forget that there is an abundance of good films and music. Old and new, American or otherwise. You know what's strange? I only buy one magazine, and it's British. It's called UNCUT. It's more hip to American culture old and new than anything we have over here. It's sooo much better, it's ridiculous. I hate American magazines. Rolling Stone is the biggest crap rag, and it always has been. They were always poseur hippies, now they're rich poseur hippies. I wonder if UNCUT is considered a crap rag over there. If that's the case, what do you guys read? Bizarro! Shocked

"Well... that's just like, your opinion, man"
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2005, 02:49:18 PM »

Well, I think I may video it.  I'm sold on the fact it was filmed in Almeria.  I saw the name "Winner" earlier, and thought I'd give it a miss.  But maybe it deserves a viewing.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2005, 05:00:35 AM »

"Calm down dear, it's only a colt!"  Wink

(Apologies for a very UK joke)

It's class.
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2005, 05:17:19 AM »

Haha, yeah those adverts did little to endear him to me further!

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2005, 04:38:16 AM »

About that location in OUATITW/Chato's Land... wasn't that house built from the leftover lumber of an Orson Welles film?

That antidote was connected to the building of the station. Something to do with the planks in the Platform...  But maybe the Ranch too.

The film suffers in its creeky dialogue in places. Very much somebody spouting there knowledge of the west in the script. Dosn't sit well in better parts of the film. I've always found it quite disturbing how Winner can't make it through a film with out a scene of rape or the atempt of.... but this always answered with some rough justice. But here it tends to serve the film quite well as Bronsons game becomes more deadly.

*Spoilers below*
One thing that made quite a impression on me. The abrupt ending of Chato's Land is quite effective. The Relentless 'hunters hunted' idea goes up a gear after Palance takes a bow. The 2 men left standing (Irish Religious figure & the Scotch lad ) seemed to be objecting or sitting on the side lines of most of the bad things that happen in the film. Most films would moraly let them live maybe after a scalding.
So this gives the film a unique impact in its closing chapter. More in the feel of Horror movies. Charactors being picked off one by one. And ultimately not knowing what will be the outcome of the last of Chato's (Bronson's) prey. A cheap trick but a effective.  Wink   

« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 01:04:13 PM by The Smoker » Logged

Danny
Bandido

People scare easier when they're dyin'

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2005, 11:41:58 AM »

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1340.0

Some info

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2005, 01:22:03 PM »

Cheers for sharing that Danny.  I will def watch it, now that I have seen the ol' OUTITW ranch is in it, and all that beautiful Almeria countryside.

jerkface
Bandido

You eat guts.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2005, 01:48:29 PM »

Cheers for sharing that Danny.  I will def watch it, now that I have seen the ol' OUTITW ranch is in it, and all that beautiful Almeria countryside.

Oh, Don't get your hopes up. It doesn't look half as beautiful in Chato's Land. I don't know, call me crazy, but a Michael Winner film is a poor substitute for a Sergio Leone film. I dunno, I guess it's just me...

"Well... that's just like, your opinion, man"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2006, 10:04:32 AM »

You Know, I finally caught up with this again today MGM DVD, and in my earlier post I think I go it confused with Unzana's raid with Burt Lancaster, "Apache" with Burt Lancaster, and "Tell Then Willie Boy is Here" with Robert Blake. I don't remember this flick.

They have the same sort of situational sequences, but the story lines are different.

Chato's Land (1972) Dir. Michale Winner. Charles Bronson, Jack Palance, and a stable of very familiar character and TV actors,  Richard Basehart, Simon Oakland, Ralph Waite, and Victor French.

Shot in Almeria, with familiar landscapes, and some new ones. The setting is either West Texas or New Mexico, it never specifies, but there may be clues in the townsequences that I haven't caught.

Its that subcategory of Western that you'd call  a chase/manhunt.

Bronson looking cool as a half breed Apache Pardon Chato is acosted by a white sherrif in a saloon who says basicall in close to these words "no red niggers alowed to drink in here". Chato ignores the man. He moves around behind a stoic Chato and pulls his gun but Chato spins around and drops him. Chato leaves town.

The leading citizens of the town (Texas Hollywood) get ex Confederate Captain Quincey Whitmore to gather up some of his former soldiers and able men from the local ranches to hunt down Chato and hang him.

Plalance who dons his old CSA uniform tunic and hat out of a trunk is great in this role, he turns from a deterimed pursuer to a man concerened for his men once Chato turns the table on him, he is hampered by the blood lust of Jubal Hooker (Simon Oakland) who's blinded by revenge.

This film does a good job of depicting Natives and living off the land in desert environment. I thoroughly enjoyed the film. Its brutal and violent and unfortunately the R1 version is cut of a rape, and a shot through the hand from what I've heard. But its still that good and Bronson is impeccabe.

If you are going to collect Bronson Westerns these are my picks so far, OUTITW, Villa Rides, Red Sun, Chato's Land.

Fieldings score is adequate, but this is one aspect that probably 95% of Westerns suffer from.

Light years better than Shalako, it remindes me of "The Hunting Party" that I also picked up recently, thumbs up from me. Cool

« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 10:08:48 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2006, 07:31:04 PM »

Chato's Land is ok. Pretty slow in my opinion. It's more of a suspense flick then an actioner (which is what the trailer promised). It teeters between the Western and Horror genres. Think of Chato as being the alien in "Alien" and you have the idea of what this film is.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2006, 07:49:28 PM »

Well remember its not a shootout film, and I think you have to refine your opinion and compare it to similar films in its sub genre, especially if your tastes are more shootout action oriented.

Like I stated its the  chase/manhunt subgenre, there are a lot of these out there in the AW land that are not very good,  this one is good and Bronson is pretty cool especially after he goes native dress.

The action is of a different nature. The killing of the horses by Chato is pretty brutal, the shots of the vultures eating them and the folks he's killed are great.

Who knows how much of it was sanitized for the R1. Chato's son is killed and his woman raped and staked out naked in descriptions that I've read about in other releases.

Other sub genres are the wagon train flicks, cowboy/cavalry/indian flicks,  the frontiersman sagas, the cattle rancher/homesteaders, the town bound flicks, the railroad flicks, etc.m etc. 

« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 07:57:12 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2006, 07:54:55 PM »

I'd stake you know where the asses who keep butchering movies and get paid for it.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2006, 07:58:25 PM »

Well remember its not a shootout film, and I think you have to refine your opinion and compare it to similar films in its sub genre.

Dont want to come off like a pain in the ass Joe but If I have to refine my opinion about "Chato's Land" perhaps it is best you refine your opinion on "Sabata". I recall you said that you were lead to believe that Sabata would not be what it actually was, a dopey but fun film, as I was lead to believe (by the trailers and word of mouth) that Chato's Land is a big action movie.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2006, 08:00:50 PM »

Well were there directors cuts for different markets or did the studio do it, that's the question.

Has this one been available in Italia? and what version I wonder?  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM