Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 02:03:33 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Real ghost towns & quasi ghost towns
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Real ghost towns & quasi ghost towns  (Read 17056 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2004, 05:48:50 PM »

Well though you all may get a kick out of some real and some preserved ghost town photos.

First up Virginia City founded after discovery of gold in 1863 along Alder Gulch in the Tobacco Root Mountians of SW Montana (second territorial capitol) home of notorious Henry Plummer Gang, also where Jack Slade who paid for drinks with the ears of one of his victums was hanged. Its a historical site opens in summer months.

Main Street looks like Leone's sets except for the pine & fir covered mountians

Ride up to the old saloon to take the chill off the bones.

Wooden sidewalks and you can get your ox shoed, lol.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 05:53:21 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
KERMIT
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 11:16:03 PM »

CJ, can you please fill us in on how these ghost towns got started  fell into such disrepair ? and where did all the inhabitants go to ?    
 enjoyable photos..... and good for halloween lol

« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 11:30:32 PM by KERMIT » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 05:53:10 AM »

CJ, can you please fill us in on how these ghost towns got started  fe;ll into such disrepair ? and where did all the inhabitants go to ?    
enjoyable photos..... and good for halloween lol

Well, rich placer gold diggings were discovered in Grasshopper diggins and also 70 miles east in Alder Gulch of the Ruby River Valley in 1863 and this started a stampede of gold seekers and their parasites. Sluices soon lined the gulchs and various "cities" sprang up along it for trade and amusement purposes for flush miners. Bannock and Virginia City were the best known and the sole survivors

In the first winter the new camp at Bannock had about a dosen inhabitants, by spring 1000. Among the newcommers were about 75 to 100 robbers and killers known as the "Road Agents" well practiced in their arts from the gold camps of Claifornia and Idaho.

In May 1863 at the town meeting in Bannock a judge, a coroner and a sheriff were elected. The sheriff was Henry Plummer the leader of the Road Agents, he was supposedly lighting fast on the draw. Being the sheriff he had advance notice of all the commings and goings and could tip off his gang as to where to strike. Wagons worth robbing were secretly marked and basically they killed miners and others almost every day.

A secret vigilante commitee formed after the citizens began to suspect that all was not on the up and up and a captured road agent spilled the beans on Plummer and named names on 22 others. Plummer was caught and strung up with two of his gang in January of 1864. The last of the 19 was caught and hung a month later. The rest "men with no names" laid low and scattered to greener pastures.

As the easy placer pickings played out the miners and prospectors trickled out to other diggings in Montana, Virginia City being the biggest held on while its satellite towns emptied out.

Another "city" was Nevada City, the preservationists have "assisted" the town by litterally rescuing dilapadated and condemed buildings (some in the way of highways others in danger of collapse) from near by sites and transporting them to Virginia City.

Other photos of ghost towns to follow.  Grin

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
KERMIT
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 01:57:34 AM »

Well, rich placer gold diggings were discovered in Grasshopper diggins and also 70 miles east in Alder Gulch of the Ruby River Valley in 1863 and this started a stampede of gold seekers and their parasites. Sluices soon lined the gulchs and various "cities" sprang up along it for trade and amusement purposes for flush miners. Bannock and Virginia City were the best known and the sole survivors

In the first winter the new camp at Bannock had about a dosen inhabitants, by spring 1000. Among the newcommers were about 75 to 100 robbers and killers known as the "Road Agents" well practiced in their arts from the gold camps of Claifornia and Idaho.

In May 1863 at the town meeting in Bannock a judge, a coroner and a sheriff were elected. The sheriff was Henry Plummer the leader of the Road Agents, he was supposedly lighting fast on the draw. Being the sheriff he had advance notice of all the commings and goings and could tip off his gang as to where to strike. Wagons worth robbing were secretly marked and basically they killed miners and others almost every day.

A secret vigilante commitee formed after the citizens began to suspect that all was not on the up and up and a captured road agent spilled the beans on Plummer and named names on 22 others. Plummer was caught and strung up with two of his gang in January of 1864. The last of the 19 was caught and hung a month later. The rest "men with no names" laid low and scattered to greener pastures.

As the easy placer pickings played out the miners and prospectors trickled out to other diggings in Montana, Virginia City being the biggest held on while its satellite towns emptied out.

Another "city" was Nevada City, the preservationists have "assisted" the town by litterally rescuing dilapadated and condemed buildings (some in the way of highways others in danger of collapse) from near by sites and transporting them to Virginia City.

Other photos of ghost towns to follow.  Grin
i kid you not cj, this sounds like it could be made into a  script and would make and excellent spaghetti lol
your description has a lot of cool stuff going for it.  ie...  
revenge
hanging judges
power crazy elected city officials backstabing each other
me playing the piano before  the "house" was closed  
large organized sadistic gangs ran by plummer
gold camps
angry town meetings {we need a new sheriff...who?}
ghost towns { once upon a time in ruby red valley ? }
viligantes
odd gepgraphy of forgotten places a'la $$$'s trilogy
southwest montana in it's pre-ghost town glory
one would have to figure out just who the "hero" is.
the civil war ending up in the east
string-ups
road agents  
guys who couldn't keep their traps shut
guys who got their traps shut

who would make a good henry plummer ? johnny depp ?
who would make a good jack slade ?  lol  jerry stiler
http://www.theoutlaws.com/lawmen1.htm
http://www.edheritage.org/mont/plummer.htm

« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 08:50:20 AM by KERMIT » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 05:19:51 AM »

Lol, there are a lot of stories out there that haven't been touched upon.

The Vigilante's had a secret sign that to this day no one knows for sure what it meant  "3-7-77".

KERMIT
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 09:08:50 AM »

http://www.edheritage.org/mont/3777.htm  

KERMIT
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 11:20:32 AM »

cj, that sheriff in "open range" reminds me of a plumeresque type guy. the guys with the hoods who supported the sherrif seemed a bit like vigilantes who,wouldn't come along in montana history until later. it seems the vigilantes knew another plummer would come along and to preserve peace they had to resort to taking the law into their own hands.  given the situation in dealing with plummer viligante action took over.

in "open range" the are guys with hoods on. vigilantes ?
i think not, but an eariler version. script not so hot.
maybe if someone re-worked the "open range" script  using plain old montana history the film might have been a bit better. lol

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 08:59:50 PM »

Thanks for the heads up on 3-7-77 I remember the grave explanation, but the mason connection is most intreiging.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 09:03:38 PM »

Hey Kerm if you check on page 25 of your book when I send it back you'll see a pic of the same building that was the HQ of the vigilance committee posted at the bottom of the three I posted (with the oxshoeing sign) cool, lol.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 09:04:35 PM by cigar joe » Logged

KERMIT
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 10:01:51 PM »

Hey Kerm if you check on page 25 of your book when I send it back you'll see a pic of the same building that was the HQ of the vigilance committee posted at the bottom of the three I posted (with the oxshoeing sign) cool, lol.
a mighty fine, and great big howdy joe.  i too, am hot to trot on the masons but have decided to put it to rest.
those guys don't like, and, will not be nestled. they do have an unending passion for helping those who can't defend, or help themselves. like young children. old folks, ect.
an enigma rolled up within an enigma lol

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2004, 07:14:14 PM »

New pic, this is whats left of Marysville, Montana near the Continental Divide. A Mining town where the mines played out.

Danny
Bandido

People scare easier when they're dyin'

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004, 01:09:25 AM »

Great pictures, keep posting them!
Must be very strange to walk around those buildings. Creepy I think.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2004, 09:38:14 PM »

New pics, this is technically not a ghost town, but it is the remnants of Last Chance Gulch which is now the modern State Capitol of Montana called Helena, pronounced in Montana for all you pards around the world as Hell-en-na.

Last Chance Gulch got its name from a party of prospectors from the Alder Gulch diggins that were searching for new placer gold deposits. This was their "last chance" camp before giving up and heading back to Alder Gulch. They discovered gold on July 14, 1864. It has been estimated that 30,000,000 in pay dirt came out here, and there is plenty still left beneath the business district. After cloudbursts colors and nuggets have been found in the gutters.

Ok here are some thumbnails you can click.

First up is an old prospectors log cabin still occupied check out the buffalo skulls on the wall, and in the background atop the hill an old fire watchtower.

An old side street noe called Readers Alley.

This is the old Broadwater Hotel that was west of town, its since burned to the ground. Lot of famous folks stayed here.

Here is a two story log cabin still occupied notice the modern fire hydrant in the foreground.

Ok last up this is looking down either Oro Fino or Grizzley gulch, the ruins are a stone building foundation of some sort and lime kilns in the near background. the modern day Helena Cathedral is in the far background center.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2005, 04:06:09 AM »

I was thinking about this on the train back from London yesterday. Are there really such things as ghost towns, if so are there any that still exist today or others still waiting to be found? If not is it a popular myth permeated by Ian Fleming and the scooby doo cartoons?

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
HEX
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2005, 09:06:30 AM »

i think u will like to hear that ghost towns do really exist and i have encountered a few on the road out west myself. u really wouldnt know that their there because they are not really advertised. i just sort have stumbled upon them. and there not as glamorious as u would expect,(like in the movies) they are usually not more then two buildings because the rest of the town was completly destroyed. sometimes all that is left of a town is a well or a shed. there was one in the middle of DEATH VALLEY i saw from a distance that looked somewhat intact(and it would probably make a great place to film something) but to get to it u had to travel through knee-high desert sand in which a sign in the sand reads "BEWARE OF RADDLE-SNAKES"  so i didnt dare venture farther.

the most "lively" ghost town u will find in the west would probably have to be the town of(and i mentioned this place before on the board) TERLINGUA(great beautiful place to visit.). TERLINGUA can be found in south west TEXAS. it is about 17 miles or so south of BIG BEND (not BIG BEN) NATIONAL PARK. the town used to be a mining town but after awhile the settlers left the area and the town was empty for many years until just recently people have begun to come back and take up residents. the buildings are still intact though a bit scattered from eachother. the residents have modernized it a bit(which i didnt care for) for instance, the old saloon is still a bar but at night they bring down a screen and it becomes a movie theatre(when i was there they were showing CITIZEN KANE of all things).
there are a few buildings that thankfully they have left alone for example the church and the jailhouse. but the most interesting of all is that if u walk out of the town and toward the mine u can actually enter the entrance of the mine itself. just outside the mine i had a bit of a supernatural experience(at least id like to think it was) i shall tell that story on HALLOWEEN though if u really want to hear it.

but anyway....

the answer to youre question is YES their are ghost towns out there. u just got to know where to look.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 09:08:29 AM by HEX » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM