Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 30, 2021, 10:26:19 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Big Empty (1997)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: The Big Empty (1997)  ( 1193 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« : September 20, 2018, 10:37:53 AM »

The Intangible Detective

Directed by Jack Perez. Written by James McManus and Jack Perez. Cinematography by Shawn Maurer, Music was by Jean-Michel Michenaud.

The film stars James McManus as Private Detective Lloyd Meadows, Ellen Goldwasser as Jane Danforth, Pablo Bryant as Peter Danforth, H.M. Wynant as J.W. McCreedy and Lee Holmes as Scott.

Never heard of this film and actually, it just sort of popped up on my Netflix list by mistake. I thought I ordered The Big Empty (2003). This film is an interesting take on Noir.

Lloyd (McManus) is a waiter at a diner somewhere in L.A. While shopping at a grocery store for motor oil he witnesses his friend Scott (Holmes), who once told him was going to do big things with his life drop dead. All he ever made it to was grocery store clerk.

Then and there as Lloyd watches the EMT's wheel Scott to meat wagon he figures that it was Karma  that made him witness Scott's death and decides to change his life on the spot. He un-pins his "Hi my name is Lloyd" name tag from his polyester uniform and drops it on the sidewalk. We jump cut to him slipping a "Lloyd Meadows Private Detective" business card into his wallet. Hey it's Tinseltown. Its a riff on the old "go West young man/reinvent yourself" trope. Waiter to private dick. Hell what could go wrong?

Lloyd (James McManus)

Jane (Ellen Goldwasser)

Peter (Bryant)

Scott (Lee Holmes)

He seems to make an OK go of it until he get's personally involved with a client. Jane (Goldwasser) suspects her care giver husband Peter (Bryant) of having an affair. When Lloyd gets the unexpected goods on Peter it all goes Noirsville when he stalls on handing over the evidence to Jane in order to both inject himself into her life and to blackmail Peter.

Noirsville

It's watchable and will click mostly for noir fans who will get the references. 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines