Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 02:41:41 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Duck, You Sucker Restoration issue
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Duck, You Sucker Restoration issue  (Read 10827 times)
pointblankpress
Road Apple

View Profile WWW
« on: October 30, 2004, 08:06:49 AM »

MGM's Home Entertainment Dept. is planning to re-edit the film restoration of "Duck, You Sucker" to restore the title "Fistful of Dynamite" to their DVD release next year. (Unfortunately, the film has played just about everywhere in the U.S. and Canada over the last year except here in L.A.,so that's why you haven't noticed it.) However, you may recall that the last line of the film is Rod Steiger's voice over line, "What about me?" The answer is supposed to be the end title "DUCK YOU SUCKER." Changing the title back to "Fistful of Dynamite" at the end makes the ending fall totally flat. Also, "Duck, You Sucker" is closer to the original Italian title, and it's the one that Leone wanted for the U.S. release. (He only agreed that "Fistful of Dynamite" could be used for the U.K. release.)  If you're a fan of the film or know people who are, you might want to write a note to the website saying that you ahve heard that the DVD might be released as "Fistful of Dynamite" and you would like them to reconsider giving the DVD the director's original title. The website is http://www.mgm.com/dvd_faqs.do .

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 08:17:37 AM »

i was under the impression that leone hated both titles and wanted the once upon a time title.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
John Baldwin
Gunslinger

Do you recognize this string ???

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 09:31:19 AM »

Yeah grandpa_chum, you're right...It's "Once upon a time...the Revolution"; I believed every Leone fans knew it, but apparently... Huh
And you know, pointblankpress,I don't want to be bad (or ugly, as you want... Grin), but you may put just one message for it... Undecided

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 10:46:07 AM »

the reason for the rejection of 'Once Upon a Time in the Revolution' title is because it could be confused with Bertolucci's Before the Revolution.

surely leone had the reputation by then to have demanded his title and actors (he wanted Wallach instead of Steiger). It just beggars belief

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 07:31:09 PM »

usually a disregard like this is because of monetary gain... but i'm trying to understand, from a business point of view, why not use the OUATTR title... i mean it would definitly sell more titles being connected to the other OUAT films... to those non-leone fanatics anyhow... anyone who even knows it by dys or fod would buy it anyway. doesn't make sense

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 06:31:32 AM »

More importantly, how "restored" will this DVD be? Will it contain stuff like the Villega torture scene or just the final flashback?

It's class.
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 08:33:56 AM »

Giů la Testa roughly translated means  'Keep Ya Head Down'
Leone wanted it to be called 'Duck You Sucker' in the states, because he perceived it as a well known slang/term. People around him at the time found it a little morkish and awkward. And tried to waver him off the idea.

'Once Upon A Time In The Revolution' might have more to do with the preceding film, OUATITW and the French, the only nation really to take his film to heart, in 1968. Maybe this was Sergio (as a thank you) or the Distribution using a successful name.

Its called ‘Fistful of Dynamite in the UK. Sounds like a parody or a rip-off. UA Using the ‘Fistful’ as a marketing hook.
Most Spaghetti Westerns were a victim of ham-fisted Distribution (Even in post production)  After the success of Django (Namely Franco Nero) in Germany, every Euro Western in Cinemas during the 60s (And even some of his Italian Crime Thrillers), were given the Django trademark name.

Its Giů la Testa for me because that’s what Leone calls it in interviews.

I think title name of this new print is not a real issue to me.
A MGM remixed audio, like the overblown and in some places quite embarrassing* job done on GBU last June is a bigger problem.

P.S. actually the end section of the film, if restored and including the Italian flashback would render the ‘Duck You Sucker’ problem useless anyway. Wouldnt it?

*Checkout Angel Eyes Thread Mysterious delayed sound effects at Sad Hill, Nah its just echo. Roll Eyes  
http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=1301

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 11:09:35 AM »

i agree the title does matter much... but the only interview i've ever heard him refer to the movie was as once upon a time... not gui la testa... as long as it's not a fistful of dynamite i'm ok with it... lets just hope they don't screw it up.

Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2004, 02:46:58 PM »

Personal point of view but, I don't care what title they release it under.....as long as it's not of the over rated, badly dubbed recommended by TARANTINO crap that passed as the DEFINITIVE EDITION ie. THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE VERY UGLY RIP OFF! Come on, the more we buy, the more they hold back. At some stage they will release a perfectly in sync version(s) of LEONES WESTERNS. By that time I will have spent close to a second mortgage! If I sound pissed off.....I AM.....IN SYNC OR OUT! Angry

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
John Hodson
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2004, 06:38:52 AM »

I think I've mentioned this before; a source involved in the project tells me that AFOD, FAFDM and A Fistful of Dynamite (not DYS) are all being prepped as SEs for a box set release in 2005. And yes, the latter will be complete, uncut and will include the final flashback.

I suppose MGM have gone for 'Dynamite' because they probably think it will play better in the box set.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2004, 05:43:49 PM »

I think I've mentioned this before; a source involved in the project tells me that AFOD, FAFDM and A Fistful of Dynamite (not DYS) are all being prepped as SEs for a box set release in 2005. And yes, the latter will be complete, uncut and will include the final flashback.

JH, do you know any more details about these releases? For example, will they all carry Italian audio tracks (I hope, I hope)?

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2004, 06:57:48 PM »

I didn't read this thread, and started one on these releases under the General Discussion section. No details on the audio, but it looks like there will be some nice extras.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
coffindodger
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2004, 12:34:24 AM »

This is great news! It's about time there was an uncut release with the final flashback. We can only hope it will be the same colorful transfer as on the Italian DVD and not the horrible washed out U.K. version.

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2004, 03:21:41 AM »

Personal point of view but, I don't care what title they release it under.....as long as it's not of the over rated, badly dubbed recommended by TARANTINO crap that passed as the DEFINITIVE EDITION ie. THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE VERY UGLY RIP OFF! Come on, the more we buy, the more they hold back. At some stage they will release a perfectly in sync version(s) of LEONES WESTERNS. By that time I will have spent close to a second mortgage! If I sound pissed off.....I AM.....IN SYNC OR OUT! Angry

I hear ya Belkin. Its a sign of the times.
Not so much with MGM. But companies seem to hold the rights to prints and licencing weekly. Kicking off an All New DVD of a film from its new owner, and some times old better prints been deleted. Its just a big farce. Films have turned into fashion.
'We can't be caught with last seasons Disc now can we' A Farce.

And the next generation DVD 'Blueray. etc' are just round the corner.

Sorry folks ill step down from the soapbox now.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 03:30:18 AM by The Smoker » Logged

Grandbragus
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2004, 06:10:53 PM »

Hi there, my guess would be that MGM will probably release the film as we have it in The Netherlands @ the moment. But then on a region 1 disc off course.

Should you be interested in the Dutch version, which clocks in at 147 minutes, has scenes such as Steiger pissing on ants, Coburn blowing up the church etc. ánd vivid colors, check this link:

http://www.dvdzone2.com/dvd/detail.asp?id=131923

Note: this DVD has a English, French or German soundtrack and French, Dutch, Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian, Danish, Greek subtitles.

Aspect ratio: 2.35:1 -> Anamorphic widescreen

« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 06:12:54 PM by Grandbragus » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM