Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 16, 2022, 12:32:19 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Sergio Leone News (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Sergio Leone Masterclass from 1986
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Sergio Leone Masterclass from 1986  ( 6142 )
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« : October 08, 2018, 12:26:49 PM »

The French Cinémathèque just uploaded this:

https://youtu.be/iQKoJKEAexs

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #1 : October 09, 2018, 09:33:32 AM »

Thanks!

But now we need a good English translation. The auto-translate is useless. Translates "Noel Simsolo" as "Christmas Simsolo"!!!!!!!!!!!

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #2 : October 09, 2018, 02:45:12 PM »

I watched a good chunk of it at lunch today. Almost nothing new, mostly stuff we’ve read elsewhere, but it’s nice to see Sergio Leone utter the words.

The only thing I don’t remember reading elsewhere, so far, is that they released both short and long versions of OUATIA in VHS in the US (after a very, very short theatrical release, that was stopped by Warner who didn’t want OUATIA to challenge Amadeus at the oscars). While the long version was twice as expensive, they sold several times as much long version VHS as copies of the short one. Sergio says “That’s where they saw they had lost.”

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #3 : October 19, 2018, 07:00:43 AM »

Thanks for sharing this btw

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

« #4 : October 20, 2018, 03:58:13 AM »

I watched a good chunk of it at lunch today. Almost nothing new, mostly stuff we’ve read elsewhere, but it’s nice to see Sergio Leone utter the words.

The only thing I don’t remember reading elsewhere, so far, is that they released both short and long versions of OUATIA in VHS in the US (after a very, very short theatrical release, that was stopped by Warner who didn’t want OUATIA to challenge Amadeus at the oscars). While the long version was twice as expensive, they sold several times as much long version VHS as copies of the short one. Sergio says “That’s where they saw they had lost.”

Thanks for summarizing the vid. Just curious if he mentioned anything about the different versions of GBU?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #5 : October 20, 2018, 07:50:03 AM »

Thanks for summarizing the vid. Just curious if he mentioned anything about the different versions of GBU?

I don't think so. I'm positive he didn't say anything we don't already know about different versions of anything except the stuff I mentioned about OUATIA.

LITTLE BIG MAN
Gunslinger

« #6 : October 20, 2018, 03:19:15 PM »

“Warner Bros who didn’t want OUATIA to challenge Amadeus at the Oscars”

Orion Pictures distributed Amadeus in 1984 - their distribution deal with WBs ended in 82.
Ladd Co/WBs decided to cut OUATIA down for the US release because they had lost a lot of money the year before on another long/epic movie The Right Stuff.  I’m not sure if you were suggesting Leone believed that the “Amadeus conspiracy theory”  was the reason his film flopped in the Us? If so then he was misguided.  As I’ve mentioned before on this site Leone clashed with Alan Ladd Jnr leading up to the release of the film in the US - Leone also refused to travel to travel to the US and fight for his film, why I don’t know? Possibly he wasn’t well enough to?  The producer of the film Arnon Milchan (who was based in Paris) is on record admitting in retrospect he would have done things differently - fighting for the film, pushing for a smaller end of year release (to build word of mouth) even De Niro after the film received some negative comments at the Cannes World premier refused to do any further publicity for the movie.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #7 : October 20, 2018, 03:35:55 PM »

Year Leone defends the Amadeus conspiracy theory.
Thanks for your insightful comments, I didn’t remember all of these.

Lil Brutto
Bounty Killer

« #8 : October 20, 2018, 04:12:47 PM »

I don't think so. I'm positive he didn't say anything we don't already know about different versions of anything except the stuff I mentioned about OUATIA.

That's too bad. There's still much to learn about the Italian versions of BBC/GBU. Now that the Skeleton Shot has surfaced on the KL BD, hopefull the Italians will chime in about it.

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
LITTLE BIG MAN
Gunslinger

« #9 : October 20, 2018, 04:43:54 PM »

Year Leone defends the Amadeus conspiracy theory.
Thanks for your insightful comments, I didn’t remember all of these.

😉👍
I don’t think the uncut version of OUATIA was ever released in VHS in the US - I think Leone was referring to the uncut VHS in Europe (possibly other territories) outselling the cut version VHS in the US

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #10 : October 21, 2018, 06:37:33 AM »

😉👍
I don’t think the uncut version of OUATIA was ever released in VHS in the US - I think Leone was referring to the uncut VHS in Europe (possibly other territories) outselling the cut version VHS in the US

From what I understand he was refering to the uncut version being released in VHS at the same time in the US. Hence the pricing in $.

LITTLE BIG MAN
Gunslinger

« #11 : October 21, 2018, 08:28:21 AM »

I think he might have got that wrong Noodles
as far as I know the only VHS Of OUATIA that was ever released in the United States
was the uncut version - infact I don’t think the Americans got the uncut DVD until years later

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #12 : October 21, 2018, 11:31:31 AM »

The US Laser Disc contained the 228 min version, but with 2 min cut for censorship reasons.

After the uncut version was comparatively successful in Europe it would have been logical to release the long version also in the USA. But who knows ...

That Warner could have viewed OUTA as an Oscar candidate seems to me very unlikely, even more as a potential rival for Amadeus.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #13 : October 21, 2018, 12:49:59 PM »

The US Laser Disc contained the 228 min version, but with 2 min cut for censorship reasons.

After the uncut version was comparatively successful in Europe it would have been logical to release the long version also in the USA. But who knows ...

That Warner could have viewed OUTA as an Oscar candidate seems to me very unlikely, even more as a potential rival for Amadeus.

So you’re saying good old Sergio “improved reality” after the facts once again?

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines