Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 14, 2019, 11:25:42 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Once Upon a Time . . . in Hollywood (2019)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
: Once Upon a Time . . . in Hollywood (2019)  ( 9986 )
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #15 : July 19, 2019, 07:38:06 AM »

Is your ticket for next Thursday at 4p.m.? Because that's when the "very fucking excited" people are actually going.
Unfortunately, 7PM Thursday. 4PM was tempting but I figured I could wait 3 hours to not leave work early and be able to have have friends, co-workers, dad, girlfriend come along... it's a big crew.

EDIT: DJ are there any obvious spoilers in that interview?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #16 : July 19, 2019, 08:52:32 AM »

Not obvious, but there is one for people with working brains.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17 : July 26, 2019, 04:04:06 PM »

Might as well start a formal separate thread for this.

Written & Directed by Quentin Tarantino. Cinematography by Robert Richardson. Starring....

Leonardo DiCaprio as Rick Dalton:
An actor who starred in the television Western series Bounty Law from 1958 to 1963, based on Wanted Dead or Alive (1958–1961). His attempt to transition to film failed and in 1969 he is struggling, doing guest roles on other people's programs while contemplating moving to Italy, which has become a hotbed for low-budget Westerns. Dalton's relationship with Cliff Booth is based on that of actor Burt Reynolds and his long time stunt double Hal Needham.

Brad Pitt as Cliff Booth:
A Vietnam War veteran and Rick's longtime stunt double and best friend. Tarantino and Pitt modeled Booth after Billy Jack, a character portrayed in four films by actor Tom Laughlin.

Margot Robbie as Sharon Tate:
A pregnant actress married to director Roman Polanski and next door neighbor of Dalton. Robbie did not consult with Polanski in preparation for the role, but read his 1985 autobiography Roman by Polanski.

Emile Hirsch as Jay Sebring:
A Hollywood hairstylist and friend and ex-boyfriend of Tate.

Margaret Qualley as Pussycat:
A member of the "Manson Family" who catches Booth's interest. Based loosely on Kathryn Lutesinger who had the nickname "Kitty".

Timothy Olyphant as James Stacy:
An actor who co-starred on the TV western Lancer.

Austin Butler as Charles "Tex" Watson:
A central member of the "Manson Family", alongside four other members.

Dakota Fanning as Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme:
A member of the infamous "Manson Family" who obtained her nickname while living on George Spahn's ranch.

Bruce Dern as George Spahn:
An 80-year-old nearly blind man who rented his Los Angeles ranch out to be used as a location for Westerns. Charles Manson convinced Spahn to allow him and his followers to live on the ranch. In exchange for rent, Manson coerced his female followers into having sexual relations with the ranch owner, and serving as his seeing-eye guides. Burt Reynolds was initially cast in the role, but died before his scenes could be filmed.

Al Pacino as Marvin Schwarzs:
A Hollywood producer and Dalton's agent.

Kurt Russell as Randy:
A stunt coordinator who also serves as the film's narrator.

Zoë Bell as Randy's wife, also a stunt coordinator.

Lorenza Izzo as Francesca Cappucci, an Italian film crew member and Dalton's eventual wife

Michael Madsen as the Sheriff on Bounty Law

Mike Moh as Bruce Lee

and many more...

Let the discussions begin.

« : July 26, 2019, 04:56:05 PM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #18 : July 30, 2019, 04:18:16 AM »

"Gimme a 100 vintage cars and I'll make a movie". That's all there is to it: to recreate images of an era and paste to them inconsequential dialogues (well, I'll admit that, not having a captioned copy 90% of the inanities passed me by). But there's no action whatever until the final scene which is just a copy of the IB's template (IB being quoted); rewriting history. And make it ludicrous (or try to): see the flame-thrower. I can understand who left the cinema after a hour of this idiocy and also can understand the enthusiasm of those who, having shelled a ten bill to watch it, try to hang on the quotations to try to define this as an intelligent movie because they could spot them. I could go on and on about criticizing it but it would be wasted time. Just the usual QT stuff. I'll keep on waiting for the Scorsese.3/10

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19 : July 30, 2019, 09:24:11 AM »

"Gimme a 100 vintage cars and I'll make a movie". That's all there is to it: to recreate images of an era and paste to them inconsequential dialogues (well, I'll admit that, not having a captioned copy 90% of the inanities passed me by). But there's no action whatever until the final scene which is just a copy of the IB's template (IB being quoted); rewriting history. And make it ludicrous (or try to): see the flame-thrower. I can understand who left the cinema after a hour of this idiocy and also can understand the enthusiasm of those who, having shelled a ten bill to watch it, try to hang on the quotations to try to define this as an intelligent movie because they could spot them. I could go on and on about criticizing it but it would be wasted time. Just the usual QT stuff. I'll keep on waiting for the Scorsese.3/10

We don't care, it's 99% better than the Superhero crap and the Oscar bait crap. I definitely am not overly impressed with any Scorsese since Gangs Of New York to tell you the truth. I have hopes for The Irishman.

With Tarantino I liked Django Unchained and The Hateful Eight but Once Upon A Time In... Hollywood beats them both and I wasn't all that impressed with Inglourious Basterds or Death Proof.

'bout the only directors left that I'd plunk money down for a theater ticket are The Coen Brothers, Tarantino, David Lynch, Scorsese, John Dahl, and John Sayles.

« : July 30, 2019, 09:39:29 AM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20 : July 30, 2019, 09:49:16 AM »

Margot Robbie as Sharon Tate:
A pregnant actress married to director Roman Polanski and next door neighbor of Dalton. Robbie did not consult with Polanski in preparation for the role, but read his 1985 autobiography Roman by Polanski.
This misses the important fact that Sharon Tate's sister was a kind of consultant on the film and even lent Robbie some of the dead woman's jewelry to use.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #21 : July 30, 2019, 09:59:12 AM »

CJ has decided that ONE thread for this movie isn't enough. But why should we be content with two?

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #22 : July 30, 2019, 01:35:20 PM »

We don't care, it's 99% better than the Superhero crap and the Oscar bait crap.

(Who's "We"?) Superhero crap hasn't got any pretension, it's just timewasting stuff. About the Oscar bait crap, you're talking to the wrong person.

I definitely am not overly impressed with any Scorsese since Gangs Of New York to tell you the truth. I have hopes for The Irishman.

I was never impressed with any Scorsese stuff which is not mafia related, with the exception of King of Comedy and Taxi Driver.

With Tarantino I liked Django Unchained and The Hateful Eight but Once Upon A Time In... Hollywood beats them both and I wasn't all that impressed with Inglourious Basterds or Death Proof.

I only liked his second and third and, though less, KB. The rest is crap. But if you think, rightly, that IB is nil, how can you rate high the final scene which is just a rehashing of the same technique of inversion of history? I still don't see what you find valuable in this flick, apart from the moolah wasted in vintage cars.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #23 : July 30, 2019, 05:03:36 PM »

I didn't search for it must have missed first thread combined both.

« : July 31, 2019, 03:45:54 AM cigar joe »

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #24 : July 30, 2019, 05:11:56 PM »

I still don't see what you find valuable in this flick, apart from the moolah wasted in vintage cars.

Its a very very good recreation of a time period that's gone, IB had some great segments and others I didn't care for. OUTIH doesn't have those flaws and the twist payoff was unexpected.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #25 : July 30, 2019, 05:15:28 PM »

This misses the important fact that Sharon Tate's sister was a kind of consultant on the film and even lent Robbie some of the dead woman's jewelry to use.

I didn't write it, just copied the write up from somewhere else and pasted it didn't read it all. Fix it and I'll delete the old one.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #26 : August 02, 2019, 12:55:22 PM »

Hahaha: https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/08/02/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-actor-confirms-potential-4-hour-cut-for-netfl

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #27 : August 04, 2019, 05:51:37 PM »

Saw it in 35mm today.

Easily Tarantino's best (I have not seen everything he has done, nor do I really care to). Crucially, it was neither reliant on irritating dialogue nor on gratuitous violence. I was surprised how much I enjoyed "The Hateful Eight", give or take some excruciating moments. With "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood", he's showing himself to be mastering the medium. If it is going to be his last then it would be a great film to go out on, but also a shame since he is clearly approaching his zenith. This may well be the first Tarantino film I buy on home video.

SPOILER: The concept for the end was great; the gratuitous execution was not. Had that been better done (granted I suppose it is a matter of taste), I would have been blown away.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #28 : August 04, 2019, 06:12:51 PM »

Saw it in 35mm today.

Easily Tarantino's best (I have not seen everything he has done, nor do I really care to). Crucially, it was neither reliant on irritating dialogue nor on gratuitous violence. I was surprised how much I enjoyed "The Hateful Eight", give or take some excruciating moments. With "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood", he's showing himself to be mastering the medium. If it is going to be his last then it would be a great film to go out on, but also a shame since he is clearly approaching his zenith. This may well be the first Tarantino film I buy on home video.

SPOILER: The concept for the end was great; the gratuitous execution was not. Had that been better done (granted I suppose it is a matter of taste), I would have been blown away.

I loved it also.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #29 : August 06, 2019, 03:30:04 AM »

From "Re: Rate The Last Movie You Saw" thread

CONTAINS MILD SPOILERS
Once Upon a Time . . . in Hollywood (2019). 35mm projection. 5/10. I found this hugely disappointing. The writing is flaccid and lazy and the directing is not much better. Most of the acting is awful—Lenny 3CpO is almost never good and here he is doing an awful accent (but maybe the character he’s playing doesn’t want to break character and this is a way of showing that Rick Dalton isn’t much of an actor). That broad from The Wolf of Wall Street is embarrassing. The one good performance is Brad Pitt’s. The highlight of the film is the scene where his character goes to Spahn Ranch and has the initial confrontation with the Mansons. But the rest is pointless and the ending is QT just rehearsing a trick he’s done better before. The biggest problem with the film is that it relies on viewers’ knowledge of 1969 for basic things like motivation and suspense, things that should be supplied by the film itself. And for all the vaunted authenticity—“Tarantino recreates 1969!”—there’s a shot where Brad Pitt turns on to the freeway and we see sound reduction walls on the side of the road. Needless to say, such things did not exist in 1969, and QT could have had them digitally removed but didn’t bother to. Why? I’m sure it was because he was in a hurry to get the thing done and assumed no one would notice. There’s a general cheapness to the production: when a character smokes an acid cigarette we never see things from his point of view while he’s tripping. No love for SFX, Quentin? Another thing adding to the film’s cheapjack quality: the voice-over is badly recorded, and the narration is supplied by Kurt Russell, who is playing a character in the film but that character is NOT narrating I don’t think, or if he is the point is confusing. And why does there have to be narration anyway? Answer: it covers the gaps in the plot QT couldn’t be bothered to fill in other better ways. The man making films these days who goes by the name Tarantino is not at all the creative force he was in  the 90s. It’s very sad.

Totally disagree. The recreation of 1969 was spot on, it's way more than than a few cars (as titoli seems to think) or something that is easily dispelled by the inclusion of a sound wall. I sure didn't see one BTW I was more interested in the performances in the vignettes that magically linked us back to a time period.

He got that evolving end of the 50s early and mid 60s zietigest perfect. Dean Martin, Westerns on TV, Cigarette commercials Bruce Lee, hippies, etc., etc. The acid cigarette sequence did indicate that Pitt was seeing trails (the effect of the LSD) it was vividly demonstrated to the cognoscenti of all the pleasures the "sixties" had to offer. Why would we have to see things from his POV? That would be the expected thing from a cheapjack CGI production. Maybe you should go to see too many blockbusters.

I didn't notice the voice over, I did notice Kurt Russell, I don't know WTF your're talking about. Maybe you should watch it again, titoli I can forgive since he wasn't in the USA during the 60s so he'd have nothing to judge it by except the obvious, the old cars.

I liked Brad Pitt's stunt double buddy character quite a bit more than LDC, it's probably my favorite performance now of Pitt, but they are still both good in this along with the pit bull, Brad Pitt's dog. This one is quite a bit above par and a lot of fum to watch.   Damian Lewis looks like Steve McQueen reincarnated. Al Pacino plays a Hollywood big shot.

There is also a pretty funny bit between Brad Pitt and with Mike Moh as Bruce Lee.

All I can agree with DJ on is that the narration toward the end was indeed very annoying and unnecessary (I groaned as I felt we were regressing to one of his annoying dialogue-reliant films of his past). As I said earlier, the concept for the ending was great, but the execution was not.

Finally Tarantino has made something where he really respects the audience. This was a wonderful slow-burn film that teased at the plot throughout (just enough to keep you involved) while letting the viewer relish in its visual splendor. In terms of technical execution, there were also some really great shots, although I'd need to watch again to give more specifics.

Yes, Damian Lewis as Steve McQueen was uncanny!

: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines