Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2019, 12:31:58 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Once Upon a Time . . . in Hollywood (2019)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
: Once Upon a Time . . . in Hollywood (2019)  ( 10120 )
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #30 : August 06, 2019, 06:41:15 AM »

It seems like SLWB is really split on Tarantino's latest...

cigarjoe: 9/10
rrpower: 9/10 first viewing, 10/10 second viewing (it has it's flaws, but that's what makes it a masterpiece)
Novecento: Best Tarantino film yet
davejenkins: 5/10
titoli: 2.5/10

I imagine drink will just copy DJ's thoughts, and N_L will give it an 8.5.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #31 : August 06, 2019, 09:21:37 AM »

It seems like SLWB is really split on Tarantino's latest...

cigarjoe: 9/10
rrpower: 9/10 first viewing, 10/10 second viewing (it has it's flaws, but that's what makes it a masterpiece)
Novecento: Best Tarantino film yet
davejenkins: 5/10
titoli: 2.5/10

I imagine drink will just copy DJ's thoughts, and N_L will give it an 8.5.

I'm surprised we haven't had more members chime in. When does it premier worldwide?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #32 : August 06, 2019, 09:34:15 AM »

I'm surprised we haven't had more members chime in. When does it premier worldwide?

France: 14th of august

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #33 : August 06, 2019, 10:03:02 AM »

Easily Tarantino's best (I have not seen everything he has done, nor do I really care to).

So you haven't seen any of his 90s work?

I haven't seen this yet but saying this is easily better than Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown sounds like a massive overreaction.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #34 : August 06, 2019, 10:34:37 AM »

I haven't seen this yet but saying this is easily better than Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown sounds like a massive overreaction.

Its closer to Jackie Brown than any of the others.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #35 : August 06, 2019, 10:43:33 AM »

France: 14th of august

Same here in Germany.

I'm expecting a lot, even if his 2 westerns were less good than expected.

QT is a modern master of cinema, which means he made several excellent films. Actually already more than the Leone.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #36 : August 06, 2019, 11:43:18 AM »

Its closer to Jackie Brown than any of the others.

Which wouldn't mean much even if what you say were true. JB was based on a solid novel with a solid plot and even dialogues were taken almost unchanged from Leonard (who's a master of dialogues). I was amazed at how much QT took from the novel (apart from the protagonist not being black, the finale is slightly different, as the couple might not split as in the movie). Here you have dialogues (or monologues) which do not push ahead the action, as there is no action except the Manson's side line.  There is no plot, only a series of scenes which try to build a character (LDC's) with no great effort at originality. With the interpolation of scenes with no significance whatever, if not the fun of having a reconstruction of the past by images. But as I said those scenes often fall into stupidity.

Here the movie will be distributed in September, although there already have been two presentations: one for the fans (with QT and the cast) and one for the press, both in Rome.
But if somebody in Europe wants to see it now, with no great effort one can find copies online.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #37 : August 06, 2019, 01:45:43 PM »

Just see it for yourselves it will either work for you or it won't.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #38 : August 06, 2019, 04:34:23 PM »

I've seen Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, albeit a very long time ago. I've never seen Jackie Brown, but I have seen several of his other works.

I have always very much respected Tarantino as an "auteur" in a often uninspiring Hollywood. Having said that, I never really appreciated his work. I was surprised how much I enjoyed "The Hateful Eight" and then was quite simply blown away by "Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood". I felt I saw some real artistry this time and will definitely be watching it again.

« : August 06, 2019, 04:35:38 PM Novecento »
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #39 : August 06, 2019, 05:13:24 PM »

I've seen Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, albeit a very long time ago. I've never seen Jackie Brown, but I have seen several of his other works.

I have always very much respected Tarantino as an "auteur" in a often uninspiring Hollywood. Having said that, I never really appreciated his work. I was surprised how much I enjoyed "The Hateful Eight" and then was quite simply blown away by "Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood". I felt I saw some real artistry this time and will definitely be watching it again.
I'd definitely revisit his 90s stuff, his westerns border on caricature (Death Proof even more so).

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #40 : August 06, 2019, 11:51:03 PM »

Death Proof is QT at his best, I love it, as I love Kill Bill, which gets better with every viewing, and Inglorious Basterds.

Jackie Brown is a comparatively lesser film, a kinda "safety" film after the success and hype around Pulp Fiction. I have to rewatch his 2 westerns, but somehow I think they won't improve that much. But then, so far all of his films became more intensive with repeated viewings.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #41 : August 07, 2019, 03:06:45 AM »

I'd definitely revisit his 90s stuff, his westerns border on caricature (Death Proof even more so).

Like I said, I'm seeing something different in this film. It was largely very restrained. Supposedly cool dialogue and grotesque violence do not make a movie for me. I think a discussion of the technical aspects versus his other films would be quite interesting.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #42 : August 07, 2019, 03:24:51 AM »

I read an article comparing the violent end scene to The Wild Bunch or Bonnie and Clyde. I couldn't disagree more. Both of those are technically and artistically brilliant (they are also gratuitous but not grotesque).

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #43 : August 07, 2019, 07:16:59 AM »

Although I didn't like the film as a whole, there were sequences in it I enjoyed very much. My favorite was the one where Brad Pitt's character visits Spahn Ranch, partly because of the way Tarantino directed it, but also because the recreation of the Ranch was pretty impressive. I've just found a blog that has info and photos of the set and it's pretty interesting: https://iversonmovieranch.blogspot.com/2018/10/its-wrap-tarantinos-spahn-ranch-set-at.html

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #44 : August 07, 2019, 11:51:35 AM »

Although I didn't like the film as a whole, there were sequences in it I enjoyed very much. My favorite was the one where Brad Pitt's character visits Spahn Ranch, partly because of the way Tarantino directed it, but also because the recreation of the Ranch was pretty impressive. I've just found a blog that has info and photos of the set and it's pretty interesting: https://iversonmovieranch.blogspot.com/2018/10/its-wrap-tarantinos-spahn-ranch-set-at.html

Thanks

: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines