Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2020, 09:39:31 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Once Upon a Time . . . in Hollywood (2019)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
: Once Upon a Time . . . in Hollywood (2019)  ( 13784 )
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #75 : September 16, 2019, 07:55:42 AM »

If I could have been in that room with PTA and QT I think I'd have been arrested for trying to kidnap both of them and keeping them captive in my well. great interview

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #76 : September 16, 2019, 09:57:39 AM »

Yeah that could be the idea. Which is important for the film.

Have you listen to the interview I posted earlier? You'll like it.

Not all of it. I started it but had to pause it, I'll finish it for sure.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #77 : September 17, 2019, 01:15:48 AM »

Rewatched it, this time with subtitles. I still don't get what the point of the whole movie is. One can say:"There's no point". OK, so there's no point watching it too. So it's 2/10 again.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #78 : September 17, 2019, 06:47:35 AM »

Rewatched it, this time with subtitles. I still don't get what the point of the whole movie is. One can say:"There's no point". OK, so there's no point watching it too. So it's 2/10 again.
There's no way you actually dislike this movie that much if you decided to see it AGAIN when in theaters.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #79 : September 17, 2019, 11:29:35 AM »

I did watch again my bootleg copy this time with subtitles.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #80 : October 24, 2019, 09:42:01 AM »

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/quentin-tarantino-adds-four-scenes-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-re-release-1202184268/?

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #81 : October 24, 2019, 01:30:03 PM »

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/quentin-tarantino-adds-four-scenes-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-re-release-1202184268/?
Cool, but... just gimme the blu ray.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #82 : October 24, 2019, 02:35:00 PM »

Cool, but... just gimme the blu ray.

agree

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #83 : November 01, 2019, 07:25:39 AM »

OK: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/sphe-press-release-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-4k-uhd-blu-ray.364254/

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #84 : November 02, 2019, 06:50:30 AM »

OK: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/sphe-press-release-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-4k-uhd-blu-ray.364254/

OK Thanks, I'll probably be picking this up.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #85 : November 03, 2019, 04:08:04 AM »

20 mins of additional footage on the BD but only 10 mins in theaters....

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #86 : November 04, 2019, 10:30:57 AM »

But probably only as "extras", It's not an extended version like the theatrical re-release?

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #87 : December 23, 2019, 11:40:54 AM »

The first hour or so (or everything up to and including the book scene with the kid) was the best thing he's done since the 90s. I wish we lived in a world where Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown looked like this movie -- Reservoir Dogs' raw grit and low budget serves that movie well. 'Hollywood' is beautiful to look at and the way the story weaves around in that first hour is masterpiece level stuff, even if you can nitpick a random Steve McQueen cameo, though I personally loved the Playboy Mansion scene, which was immaculately lit. Beautiful stuff.

However, the middle staggers a bit. The movie within a movie scenes are entertaining but overlong and disjointed. You're both watching the finished product of the movie and the shooting of it - it's not that it doesn't work per se, but these scenes needed to be trimmed with a chainsaw. And to possibly nitpick, all these movies are too good and all have a spaghetti and modern ironic spin to them. I would have really loved if QT played it more straight and tried making something that actually existed back then, especially for a TV actor. It also would have also been a bold move to cast the modern real life equivalent of Rick Dalton, though I don't have any issues with DiCaprio's performance - it's one of his best. Same with Pitt.

In terms of storytelling and dialogue, this could be QT's quietest movie - only Jackie Brown could be quieter. I enjoyed the more nuanced approach and the lack of the typical Tarantino dialogue/monologues....until the final sequence, which the Manson characters turn into the girls from Death Proof talking about Dalton's career and the movie pulls a complete 180 and goes back to the worst of Tarantino of the last 10-15 years.

I can understand the freshness of going against history in IB. It was unexpected and a bit bold. But trying to pull the same trick twice was one too many and if it isn't narrative cheating, it's close. Why include real life people like Sharon Tate etc if you're going against history? Why not just have a nameless hippie cult and have Pitt's interaction at the ranch be the catalyst for a violent climax? And the flamethrower....come on. That would be like Pam Grier paper cutting people's throats with plane tickets at the end of Jackie Brown.

I hated the climax so much that this movie is hard to rate. The first hour might be my favorite hour of all 21st Century movies, but the middle drags and the end makes me question the point of making this movie in the first place. Tough to rate. B+

*I forgot to include that the six month jump was jarring, especially when the middle DiCaprio acting scenes should have been cut and the movie should have gone to Europe. The scene where Pitt's character gets fired should have been the heart of the movie, or one of the better scenes, but instead its used as bland exposition.

« : December 23, 2019, 12:07:18 PM T.H. »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #88 : December 23, 2019, 03:36:04 PM »

I hated the climax so much that this movie is hard to rate.

Definitely the part I least liked too. I felt he really blew it with the ending. It reminded me of why I've struggled with some of his stuff in the past. Nonetheless still a really great movie IMO and definitely his best.

In terms of storytelling and dialogue, this could be QT's quietest movie - only Jackie Brown could be quieter. I enjoyed the more nuanced approach and the lack of the typical Tarantino dialogue/monologues....

Definitely didn't appreciate that Kurt Russell monologue

« : December 23, 2019, 03:45:37 PM Novecento »
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #89 : December 23, 2019, 04:53:42 PM »

Definitely the part I least liked too. I felt he really blew it with the ending. It reminded me of why I've struggled with some of his stuff in the past. Nonetheless still a really great movie IMO and definitely his best.

Definitely didn't appreciate that Kurt Russell monologue
Tarantino's last five movies feel like first drafts. The Kurt Russell narration that simply fired off exposition could have easily been avoided. Django Unchained had a similar problem with the last 30 minutes.

As much as I hated the ha-ha slapstick stuff like DiCaprio using a flame thrower, the climax could have been more believable had the Manson family seen Pitt walking his dog and then followed him back to the house - the Spahn Ranch scene sets that up. There would at least be a logical reason for them to change their plan. What made the final cut of the movie is that a cult member thinks she saw a TV actor so all the other cult members decide to go against the leader's wishes to kill them instead...it doesn't add up. But if they saw Pitt's character it could be logical for them to enter Rick Dalton's house first.

« : December 23, 2019, 04:58:18 PM T.H. »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines