Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 07, 2019, 01:42:04 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Once Upon a Time . . . in Hollywood (2019)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
: Once Upon a Time . . . in Hollywood (2019)  ( 10429 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #60 : August 15, 2019, 04:56:06 PM »

That's a letter with beautiful handwriting, on golden paper - without much to say though...

Its not really supposed to say anything just recreating the Hollywood-centric zeitgeist of the times. 

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #61 : August 15, 2019, 08:35:42 PM »

Sometimes that's all you need--it should be a visual experience after all (and no I'm not talking about artsy-farsty point and shoot films)

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #62 : August 16, 2019, 02:36:09 AM »

Maybe it actually says a lot more than it's credited for.

About the power of cinema, of course. In a way deeper and more coherent way than Inglourious Basterds almost accidentaly "tried". And it doesn't wait for the last 30 minutes to build it up.
About MeToo, Polanski, Weinstein and more generally, sexual abuses in Hollywood. I have to think about it but the theme is very present the whole film and is concluded with a dog eating testicules.
About QT's own insecurities. I wouldn't be surprised if he saw the DiCaprio/Pitt duo as himself: both questioned by his own relevance in a rapidly evolving film world... and totally bad ass, zen and confident in his own ability to kick any ass that would be in his way.

I need to think more about the film before I can really debate the whole thing, but the poetry that comes seemingly out of nowhere in the end speaks for itself. You don't build that in 30 minutes.

Also, we tend to take for granted the fact that this whole nostalgia about Hollywood and a certain way of making movies is culturally relevant. But once Tarantino stops making movies, a huge chunk of all that is gonna be gone forever. He has almost single handedly be keeping all of it in the public eye for almost two decades now and has been taking a lot of shit for doing so, but we'll see what happens after him.

« : August 16, 2019, 02:40:12 AM noodles_leone »

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #63 : August 16, 2019, 02:40:01 AM »

Oh crazy world... usually Americans are so plot driven, plot plot plot...
When I mention films like TWO-LANE BLACKTOP I hear all the time "but there's
not much happening, what's the point..."
And now you justify almost 2 hrs. of plotless "atmosphere"  ;D ;D.

Normally I'm the guy who does that  ;D. I don't need much "plot", in general,
when you're Antonioni or Leone for that matter. He could play a scene for 12 minutes
without much happening and you can't get enough of it... But not Tarantino,
he used to be very good regarding storytelling, JACKIE BROWN is a case in point -
the story is good for 100 minutes, but watching him telling it in 150+ minutes
is pure joy...

I like ONCE UPON nevertheless, especially for its ending. The next time I'll know
what's coming and will enjoy the rest even more - I think.
It was the first time watching a Quentin film I was distracted after an hour or so.
I wasn't sucked into the story and into the characters as much as before and started to
check out camera work and all those anachronisms, like her watching a scratchy (!)
preview of CC & COMPANY, which was shot in May 1970!

Anyway, he's one of the few left that make REAL event movies...

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #64 : August 16, 2019, 02:49:56 AM »

Normally I'm the guy who does that  ;D. I don't need much "plot", in general,
when you're Antonioni or Leone for that matter. He could play a scene for 12 minutes
without much happening and you can't get enough of it... But not Tarantino,
he used to be very good regarding storytelling, JACKIE BROWN is a case in point -
is pure joy...

I like ONCE UPON nevertheless, especially for its ending. The next time I'll know
what's coming and will enjoy the rest even more - I think.
It was the first time watching a Quentin film I was distracted after an hour or so.
I wasn't sucked into the story and into the characters as much as before and started to
check out camera work and all those anachronisms, like her watching a scratchy (!)
preview of CC & COMPANY, which was shot in May 1970!

Anyway, he's one of the few left that make REAL event movies...

I'm convinced the reason why many are distracted during the first two hours has very little to do with the lack of plot, the length or any of the reasons we hear a lot. The actual reasons are:

- Some scenes are just not that good. There is no way around it. Mostly because they're too quickly written. That Bruce Lee monologue should be great, it isn't. Would all the scenes be as good as the scene when Pitt talks with the hippie girl, nobody would complain about anything.
- A lot of the intercuting between fake movies and the movie's events, a lot of the narration, a lot of the flashbacks... are done in a lazy way and really interrupt the flow.

Now I'm sure the movie works better with a second viewing, if only because a huge amount of little details in the movie are actually used in the final.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #65 : August 16, 2019, 03:13:57 AM »

I agree to all you've said!
That's exactly the point. Maybe it "feels" like lacking in plot because
we don't care too much about what's going on with Rick - due to
scenes not good enough...
Andie MacDowell's daughter was pretty good...

I'm not into feet, but for a Quentin-film (all) the feet-shots were pretty bad  ;D

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #66 : August 16, 2019, 04:12:44 AM »

Not that I think it's necessarily relevant, but I am just a long term permanent resident around these parts. I was born and mostly raised in Britain.

"Two Lane Blacktop" is fantastic.

...he used to be very good regarding storytelling, JACKIE BROWN is a case in point -
is pure joy...

Yes - why did no-one tell me about that diamond in the rough until now. Turns out even my wife had watched it before. Then again "Jackie Brown" showed no real visual flair whatsoever.

I need to think more about the film before I can really debate the whole thing, but the poetry that comes seemingly out of nowhere in the end speaks for itself. You don't build that in 30 minutes.

Very true. I just wish the ending had been executed differently. That was no Leone or Peckinpah finale by a long shot.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #67 : August 16, 2019, 05:12:49 AM »

Novecento, how was the 35mm screening? There is a 35mm copy being screened in Paris, I almost went to see it there, and finally didn't.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #68 : August 16, 2019, 10:45:04 AM »

It was really great. I'm lucky to live near the AFI (American Film Institute) Silver. They know how to handle such material properly! The film was actually a little worn by the time I managed to see it since it had already been playing for a couple of weeks. Weirdly, I kind of appreciate that though since it makes it feel a little more authentic with the occasional flickering and speckling etc. At one point one of those lines appeared down the screen for a while too. Image quality and color was of course great as you would expect on properly projected film stock.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #69 : August 16, 2019, 12:53:22 PM »

I'm convinced the reason why many are distracted during the first two hours has very little to do with the lack of plot, the length or any of the reasons we hear a lot. The actual reasons are:

- Some scenes are just not that good. There is no way around it. Mostly because they're too quickly written. That Bruce Lee monologue should be great, it isn't. Would all the scenes be as good as the scene when Pitt talks with the hippie girl, nobody would complain about anything.
I'm in complete agreement on this point. Another "nothing" scene is the one at the Playboy mansion. Nothing happens there except we are told about the triangle of Polanksi-Tate-the hairdresser guy. We need a whole scene for that? Actually, the purpose of the scene is to show off set design, costuming, and actors who can pass for others. Look, look, we can re-create the mansion, the atmosphere, the players! There's Mama Cass! There's Steve and Connie! And those who aren't hip enough to recognize all the ersatz cameos? Well, we piss on them from a very great height.

And on and on it went. I found it all very tiresome.

Now I'll make myself scarce before CJ tries to take my head off.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #70 : September 14, 2019, 02:28:59 AM »

PTA interviews QT about the film:

https://youtu.be/k7Vj6DyD29k

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #71 : September 14, 2019, 04:12:18 AM »

I'm in complete agreement on this point. Another "nothing" scene is the one at the Playboy mansion. Nothing happens there except we are told about the triangle of Polanksi-Tate-the hairdresser guy. We need a whole scene for that? Actually, the purpose of the scene is to show off set design, costuming, and actors who can pass for others. Look, look, we can re-create the mansion, the atmosphere, the players! There's Mama Cass! There's Steve and Connie! And those who aren't hip enough to recognize all the ersatz cameos? Well, we piss on them from a very great height.

And on and on it went. I found it all very tiresome.

Now I'll make myself scarce before CJ tries to take my head off.

I'd agree with you on the above if you were talking about Inglourious Basterds, but recreating the 60s in OUTIH was for me fascinating.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #72 : September 16, 2019, 01:52:20 AM »

The recreation of an area was indeed MUCH BETTER DONE even in the worst scene of OUATIH than in Inglourious Basterds (worst QT effort to that respect), Django Unchained or even Hateful 8. But the Playboy Mansion sequence is among the ones that would have been better off on the cutting room floor. Very amateurish.

That being said the more I think about the film, the more I like it.

« : September 16, 2019, 01:53:45 AM noodles_leone »

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #73 : September 16, 2019, 04:04:16 AM »

The recreation of an area was indeed MUCH BETTER DONE even in the worst scene of OUATIH than in Inglourious Basterds (worst QT effort to that respect), Django Unchained or even Hateful 8. But the Playboy Mansion sequence is among the ones that would have been better off on the cutting room floor. Very amateurish.

That being said the more I think about the film, the more I like it.

I just don't know that much about the Sharon Tate story to know what significance, if any, the Playboy Mansion had in her life. So I agree, it didn't have to be in the film as far as I can tell. Maybe it's supposed to be a symbolic nod to the sexual revolution taking place in the late 60s.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #74 : September 16, 2019, 04:12:16 AM »

Yeah that could be the idea. Which is important for the film.

Have you listen to the interview I posted earlier? You'll like it.

« : September 16, 2019, 04:13:25 AM noodles_leone »

: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines