Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 07, 2019, 04:34:15 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  La Haine (1995)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: La Haine (1995)  ( 265 )
moorman
Gunslinger

« : February 17, 2019, 08:52:12 AM »

Vincent Cassell ( Vinz), Hubert Kounde', and Said Taghmaoui ( Said) are three youths in their early 20s living in a French banlieue ( housing project) in the suburbs of Paris.  Based on real life events,  the film follows 24 hours in the lives of the three youths.  The film is about class struggles in modern France and Paris in particular. The film opens with real footage of French riots from the early 90s time period.  Abdel (Abdel Ahmed Ghili) a friend of the three youths has been beaten by the police and is hospitalized in critical condition.  Vinz wants to seek revenge but Hubert tries to talk sense into him through out the film.  Said is more concerned with chasing women but goes along with his friends.  During the riots, one of the police officers loses his weapon.  Vinz finds it and threatens throughout the film to use it but is thwarted by Hubert.  I'm not gonna go further with the plot because of spoilers.

One of the main draws to the film is the on location filming in a actual banlieue in Paris.  Due to the controversial subject matter only the suburb of Chanteloupe-les-Vignes allowed the director (Matthieu Kassovitz) to film on location.  The soundtrack features contemporary and classic hip hop, soul and funk music which is another standout of the film.  The performances of the three lead characters was also exceptional in this film.  The choice by the director to film in black and white adds a beautiful classic look and feel to the film and enhances the timeless philosophy that is being expounded upon in the film.  I would be remiss to not mention the fabulous camera techniques used in the film by the director.  Pierre Aim was the cinematographer here.

This is a great production.  I felt the plot dragged in some areas, but if you stick with it the film will draw you back in when it wanders.  I give the film a solid 9.5 out of 10...

( I saw this on Amazon Prime)

« : February 17, 2019, 09:46:25 AM moorman »
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1 : February 18, 2019, 03:20:12 PM »

Thanks for the heads up.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines