Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 12:27:13 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The same shot as OUATITW...
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The same shot as OUATITW...  (Read 7212 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 12:02:39 PM »

When you say "he" are you referring to SL or Tonino Delli Colli? I think it's important to note that Leone's style changed once Delli Colli came aboard, and give credit where credit is due. Am I saying that Delli Colli suggested the two shots to SL? The fact that Delli Colli "lensed" both argues for that interpretation. But who knows? Maybe SL had the idea for the one in OUATITW, and then Delli Colli saw how it could be reprised in OUATIA. Maybe the two worked them both out together. Or maybe they were both totally Leone's ideas from start to finish. All I'm saying is don't forget to consider all the possibilities.

The above shots from Cool Hand Luke are suggestive, especially the practice of filming from above through a screen. The angle doesn't match with those from the Leone films, however. Although there isn't a screen in it, another shot may have provided equal inspiration: the one at the end of the egg eating sequence, where the camera pulls back to reveal Luke on the table, positioned as if he'd been crucified. Now that certainly was modeled on older paintings/iconography.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 01:23:27 PM »

When you say "he" are you referring to SL or Tonino Delli Colli? I think it's important to note that Leone's style changed once Delli Colli came aboard, and give credit where credit is due. Am I saying that Delli Colli suggested the two shots to SL? The fact that Delli Colli "lensed" both argues for that interpretation. But who knows? Maybe SL had the idea for the one in OUATITW, and then Delli Colli saw how it could be reprised in OUATIA. Maybe the two worked them both out together. Or maybe they were both totally Leone's ideas from start to finish. All I'm saying is don't forget to consider all the possibilities.

Yes, "he" was SL.  Point well taken.  There could of been quite a few possibilities.  Pulled me out of another auteur paradigm.  Smiley

The above shots from Cool Hand Luke are suggestive, especially the practice of filming from above through a screen. The angle doesn't match with those from the Leone films, however. Although there isn't a screen in it, another shot may have provided equal inspiration: the one at the end of the egg eating sequence, where the camera pulls back to reveal Luke on the table, positioned as if he'd been crucified. Now that certainly was modeled on older paintings/iconography.

The overhead screen shots are similar, and I guess it's possible it could of been an influence by the production dates.  I couldn't convince myself that was the case.  It was funny when I clicked on to the television broadcast, it picked up just before the scene.  It just struck me.   I've seen it so many times too.  You're right about the overhead table shot; most definitely agree that shot has a basis on other visual images.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 07:06:36 AM »

The mirror shot was from The Leopard, Claudia was involved in the original version as well. Unless memory is failing me, which is always possible.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM