Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 15, 2022, 02:39:05 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Kill-Off (1990) Another Thompson sedative neo-noir
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: The Kill-Off (1990) Another Thompson sedative neo-noir  ( 191 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« : July 02, 2022, 08:31:11 AM »

I came to this one because it was the movie the female director made before The Ballad of Little  Jo. Of course it was hailed by Jim Kitses like a great one but, of course, it isn't. Unfortunately I haven't read the novel, so I can't go deeper in my assessment. I can only say this can be watched for the last 20 minutes and nothing gets lost plot-wise.  The look is cheap (but probably CJ will be enthusiastic and say it is pure noir), the actors under amateurish grade, the score (mainly based on repeated arpeggi - not arpeggios - excruciating). At IMDB some say this is the best Thompson rendition with Coup de torchon. So I give it the same 5/10, though probably it's worth even less.

« : July 03, 2022, 03:04:30 PM titoli »

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1 : July 03, 2022, 09:19:31 AM »

Too bad for you.
The noir-ish cinematography by Declan Quinn (Leaving Las Vegas) enhances the dreary winter Raritan Bay seaside atmosphere and the low class bungalow interiors, especially when filtered through a murky unofficial DVDr, the film can only improve with a proper DVD release.  7/10 and going up with a proper release.

« : July 04, 2022, 08:14:11 AM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #2 : July 03, 2022, 12:22:34 PM »

The noir-ish cinematography by Declan Quinn (Leaving Las Vegas) enhances the dreary winter Raritan Bay seaside atmosphere and the low class bungalow interiors, especially when filtered through a murky unofficial DVDr, the film can only improve with a proper DVD release.  7/10 and going up with a proper release.

What did  I write? "The look is cheap (but probably CJ will be enthusiastic and say it is pure noir),"

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3 : July 03, 2022, 01:13:56 PM »

What did  I write? "The look is cheap (but probably CJ will be enthusiastic and say it is pure noir),"

Correct, it's called different strokes for different folks.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #4 : July 03, 2022, 03:08:34 PM »

Have you read the novel?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #5 : July 03, 2022, 04:08:35 PM »

Have you read the novel?

A long time ago, but the novel is quite a bit different than the film, most adaptations are.

I also prefer 1976's The Killer Inside Me to 2010's The Killer Inside Me even though the location was changed from Texas to Butte, Montana. I liked Stacey Keach and Susan Tyrrell better.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #6 : July 03, 2022, 11:41:41 PM »

I also prefer 1976's The Killer Inside Me to 2010's The Killer Inside Me even though the location was changed from Texas to Butte, Montana. I liked Stacey Keach and Susan Tyrrell better.

I think I saw the 2010 and wasn't impressed. I'll check the 76 but first I'll have to re-read the novel.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #7 : July 04, 2022, 03:15:42 AM »

I think I saw the 2010 and wasn't impressed. I'll check the 76 but first I'll have to re-read the novel.

The 2010 version was also set in the 1950s while 1976 was more contemporary.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #8 : July 04, 2022, 09:59:34 AM »

The only Thompson adaptation that I didn't really like was After Dark, My Sweet (1990) I didn't like Jason Patric or Rachel Ward, and didn't like the paucity of sets it was visually uninteresting. It seemed that most of it was shot in a suburban ranch house and it's backyard.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #9 : July 04, 2022, 10:57:50 PM »

The only Thompson adaptation that I didn't really like was After Dark, My Sweet (1990) I didn't like Jason Patric or Rachel Ward, and didn't like the paucity of sets it was visually uninteresting. It seemed that most of it was shot in a suburban ranch house and it's backyard.

Strange. You usually like everything.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines