Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 13, 2020, 04:44:39 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  1917 (2019)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: 1917 (2019)  ( 1071 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« : October 08, 2019, 12:53:24 PM »

Something for noodles_leone to jerk off to: https://www.thewrap.com/1917-see-how-sam-mendes-tackled-one-continuous-shot-for-world-war-i-epic-video/

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1 : October 08, 2019, 01:46:42 PM »

Something for noodles_leone to jerk off to: https://www.thewrap.com/1917-see-how-sam-mendes-tackled-one-continuous-shot-for-world-war-i-epic-video/

Looks Great

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #2 : October 08, 2019, 02:41:28 PM »

Way ahead of you!

That being said I don't really trust Sam Mendes with action sequences.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #3 : January 14, 2020, 06:10:14 AM »

We saw this yesterday, very gripping, very good.  I hadn't watched the clip linked in first post, but it was very obvious early on about the long continuous takes. 

And we all thought the scene with Jill and the train station in Flagstone with the Morricone music was tough to choreograph !

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #4 : February 24, 2020, 04:46:14 AM »

Yes this was gripping stuff. I think the trick with the long take without cuts worked really well as the camera went along the trenches and followed through the streets of the town. However I wonder if in the open spaces, it would have been more dramatic had they shifted away from it. By not doing so, it lost some of its effect and felt like they were just doing it for the sake of it.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #5 : February 25, 2020, 02:57:37 AM »

So, in 2019, you still need the girl? I was wondering half of the time when she would appear. And she did, of course, with the added commodity of the baby. A pity, because the movie was excellent up to that point. And I liked the idea of the 2 (or what they appear to be) takes only. Sure, the story has got some flaws (the wicked huns, the scene in the town where nobody seems to be able to shoot the protagonist down running right ahead of the the germans, the protagonist who cannot kill in cold blood) but the movie follows what Kubrick had tried to do, to shoot the trenches scenes without cuts not having the technology now available. What Churchill would have thought of this one?  I'll rewatch it, sure. 8/10

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #6 : February 28, 2020, 07:31:48 PM »

So, in 2019, you still need the girl? I was wondering half of the time when she would appear. And she did, of course, with the added commodity of the baby. A pity, because the movie was excellent up to that point. And I liked the idea of the 2 (or what they appear to be) takes only. Sure, the story has got some flaws (the wicked huns, the scene in the town where nobody seems to be able to shoot the protagonist down running right ahead of the the germans, the protagonist who cannot kill in cold blood) but the movie follows what Kubrick had tried to do, to shoot the trenches scenes without cuts not having the technology now available. What Churchill would have thought of this one?  I'll rewatch it, sure. 8/10

The two scenes with the enemy soldiers (the pilot and the one before he meets the woman with the baby) were pretty offensive.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #7 : February 29, 2020, 04:34:47 AM »

I thought it was pretty average. It was of course mostly gorgeous to look at but the film is an entertaining mess: the way it?s written consistent at all with the way it?s shot, which itself isn?t consistent with what the film is trying to be.

First of all, the film is sold as an immersive experience at what WW1 was. It?s even dedicated to the memory of those who died during the war. Well, for a start, it isn?t immersive (for the most part) and isn?t what WW1 was, like, at all. Like I feared, Deakin?s camerawork, although technically jaw dropping, isn?t immersive: it?s pretty cold and is consistently trying to find ways to go from one regular static shot to another instead of using the movement to put you in the shoes of the characters. Gravity and even the Revenant were soooo much better at that. So it seems like Deakins was really struggling against the premise of the film. The best part was toward the ending, when the camerawork as well as the total lack of realism/credibility of everything that happens really works with the emotional state of the character.

Also, of course, the movie has very little to do with WW1. It?s much more of a park ride in a WW1 setting, which isnt a bad thing in itself, just a different thing. WW1 was a war without movement. The film is all about movement. WW1 was about resilience on the long term, the film is about Hollywood heroism over the span of 10 hours. Also, I swear to god, there aren?t canadian like rivers with strong current in this part of France. That was ridiculous.

I kinda liked the movie, but it?s nothing more than a technically impressive total mess (that lies to its audience). So I get that many people are angry at it. The best thing about this year?s Oscar is that 1917 didn?t win best film.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #8 : February 29, 2020, 06:45:54 AM »

Like I feared, Deakin?s camerawork, although technically jaw dropping, isn?t immersive: it?s pretty cold and is consistently trying to find ways to go from one regular static shot to another instead of using the movement to put you in the shoes of the characters. Gravity and even the Revenant were soooo much better at that.

Yeh that chimes well with what I was saying about the long takes working really well for the linear sequences in the trenches etc, but not so well in the open spaces.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #9 : February 29, 2020, 03:09:40 PM »

Together with the trenches sequences, the sequence of the initial walk from trenches till the airplane skydiving is probably the best of the entire movie.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #10 : February 29, 2020, 03:55:26 PM »

Together with the trenches sequences, the sequence of the initial walk from trenches till the airplane skydiving is probably the best of the entire movie.

I haven't seen it yet, unfortunately.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #11 : February 29, 2020, 05:55:04 PM »

I haven't seen it yet, unfortunately.

Maybe because no Pamela Prati is featured there? 8)

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #12 : March 01, 2020, 04:11:21 PM »

Maybe because no Pamela Prati is featured there? 8)

Yea mabey, Pamela Prati was an impressive piece of woman.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines